jlrusoin

jlrusoin

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubicon
Because it's part of the etorque system and considered part of an emmissions device, like the etorque batter is, it may be covered under the same party of the warranty. I believe it's 80k miles (I forget the time, but at least 5 years) Worth a shot. That generator is expensive.
100% agree. Jeep however doesn't play nice. They state this is a basic bumper to bumper part. So is covered under the 3yr/36,000 mile warranty not the power train as it should be. This is such a wrong interpretation of this part of the Jeeps system. Once agian the small guy gets hosed.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jlrusoin

jlrusoin

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubicon
@JeepCares Please look at this thread. Why is this the below part not covered under the 5yr/75,000 power train warranty? Thanks

GENERATOR KIT, MOTOR GENERATOR UNIT. Engine.

Part Number: 68432441AC
Supersession(s): 05185014AB; 05185014AC; 05185014AD; 05185014AE; 68432441AA; 68432441AB; 68432441AD

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Didn't even catch that. So used to canned response of "it's the aux battery" lol.
It only stuck out because I happen to also have a 2019 JLUR with the 2.0 turbo. And you're right, as most power issues stem from the ESS system, not the ASS/BSG/eTorque version.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Because it's part of the etorque system and considered part of an emmissions device, like the etorque batter is, it may be covered under the same party of the warranty. I believe it's 80k miles (I forget the time, but at least 5 years) Worth a shot. That generator is expensive.
Actually, it's 80k miles or 8 years for all of the etorque components, including the belt start generator.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
100% agree. Jeep however doesn't play nice. They state this is a basic bumper to bumper part. So is covered under the 3yr/36,000 mile warranty not the power train as it should be. This is such a wrong interpretation of this part of the Jeeps system. Once agian the small guy gets hosed.
Don't let them pull that. At the very least it's part of the drivetrain. It's attached to the engine and provides some forward movement al very low speeds. Bumper to bumper is for body stuff. Anything attached to the engine is drivetrain. If the engine won't run without it, it's a drivetrain component. If it triggers "P" codes for the check engine light, it's drivetrain.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Don't let them pull that. At the very least it's part of the drivetrain. It's attached to the engine and provides some forward movement al very low speeds. Bumper to bumper is for body stuff. Anything attached to the engine is drivetrain. If the engine won't run without it, it's a drivetrain component. If it triggers "P" codes for the check engine light, it's drivetrain.
I fully agree with not letting them easily brush someone aside. Especially because I'm pretty sure the entire etorque system is considered an emissions system. Emissions is a much stronger word in service work, than drivetrain is.

Best of luck, OP! And don't hesitate to try multiple dealers in your area. You're not obligated to the dealer that you bought the jeep from.

jonyothan

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 2dr 2.0T, '10 BMW 335i
Occupation
Fleet Maintenance Technician
Vehicle Showcase
I would 100% argue that with the dealer. alternator should 100% be considered part of the powertrain regardless if its the etorque generator or a regular alternator

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I would 100% argue that with the dealer. alternator should 100% be considered part of the powertrain regardless if its the etorque generator or a regular alternator
An alternator is definitely not a drivetrain component. However, the BSG is not an alternator, and is covered by the emissions warranty as stated by others.

The real question though is how did someone test the generator? The BSG produces 48V, not 12. It sounds like your welding fried the hybrid system inverter which is where you get your 12V.

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
An alternator is definitely not a drivetrain component. However, the BSG is not an alternator, and is covered by the emissions warranty as stated by others.

The real question though is how did someone test the generator? The BSG produces 48V, not 12. It sounds like your welding fried the hybrid system inverter which is where you get your 12V.
Agree....watch this video, it might help you understand how it all works.
Jeep JL 2018 Wrangler 2.0 🔴 Mild Hybrid eTorque explained 🔴(Auto stop start) - YouTube

Sponsored

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Found this thread because I too was searching for normal running voltages.

I've been getting electrical gremlins in mine since getting it back the first time at the end of November. Last Saturday I got the chime and dash light-up with all driver aids unavailable and "Service Required" on the EVIC. Made it the 40 miles home, but watched voltage fluctuate between 11.6 and 14.4 volts. Most of the time it was reading mid-low 12. Had both batteries replace within the last month but continued to get "Start-Stop Not Ready Battery Charging" messages. Dealer retested batteries 2 weeks ago and said they were good...

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Rubicon, '10 Tahoe PPV, '04 Colorado ZQ8
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
Load tested the battery quickly went from 11.9v to 8.6v w/o the motor running.

At idle it was charging at 14.3-14.6. So the alternator is good, battery is toast. So I just went to a local batter warehouse and they were surprised I got almost 4 year out of the OEM battery. Their batteries come with a 12 month replacement for free and prorated out to 5 years.

Time to install and test

PXL_20230203_224010533.jpg

PXL_20230203_224419812.MP.jpg

PXL_20230203_224035433.jpg

Sherifftruman

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUS
So, I have a 2019 2.0 and have been getting issues randomly where auto stop start will not work. No check engine lights or anything, but if I go to the information center and look under stop start I have a message saying it is unavailable because the battery is charging. Then it seems to work fine for a while.

Also last week I got a message pop up saying the Aux switches were unavailable because the battery is charging. Still no check engine. The aux switches surely run off the 12v system and not whatever is powering the e-tourque, so this is two different batteries here, correct?

I guess I'll have the 12v battery checked and probably replaced and go from there.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
@Sherifftruman
If the batter(ies) in your '19 are the original ones, considering having them replaced as a prophylactic measure. When they begin to reach the end of their service life, automotive batteries can cause a variety of seemingly unrelated electrical issues.

Four years is firmly within the expected and reasonable lifespan of an AGM battery on which the power demands of a modern vehicle are placed.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Yeah but he also said he had a ton of welding done on the vehicle. Since the problem started after the welding work, it's likely that's what shorted out the generator.
Sponsored