2.0 v 3.6 towing

CaliJK

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Hey all, tried searching and reading through various threads, so apologies if it's been covered. I like the idea of the 2.0 as my daily driver, wondering if there's any real difference in Towing? I daily drive more than I tow, but it is a factor, so was wondering if the 2.0 tows as well and as much as the 3.6 .

Thanks .
Sponsored

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
The engine will be fine. Towing with the JL is more a discussion of wheelbase than engine. 3500lbs (max towing weight on a JLU) is such a light load the engine isn't going to be an issue. There's no difference in the 350lb tongue weight or 3500 max towing capacity regardless of which engine choice you make. Definitely get the 8-speed, and personally, I'd go with the 2.0 for the power, especially if you travel anywhere at altitude, but the 3.6 is a great engine as well, and will do perfectly fine.

OP
OP
CaliJK

CaliJK

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Thanks .the Towing is/will be short distances, at close to max weight. Flat terrain .

The Acme Company

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I pull 6ā€™x12ā€™ uhaulā€™s loaded to the gills on a regular basis for my wifeā€™s department store liquidation business. Iā€™m sure I have overloaded the weight capacity and towing capacity of both the Jeep and trailer from time to time. The 3.6 and 8 speed perform flawlessly under load. I am not a fan of any hybrid power train, especially a displacement of 2 liters trying to pull a trailer with a load. Itā€™s just my opinionā€” but having owned a hybrid vehicle and experiencing battery pack failure amongst other issues, I would not recommend the E-torque option!

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I'll mention this: PEAK torque is higher on the 2.0L Turbo, but the overall length of the torque band is much greater and much flatter with the 3.6L, which will make it feel better and smoother in pretty much all conditions. Plus, it'll be more reliable and less expensive to own and operate over time.

Sponsored

aai

First Name
aai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL 2.0 Rubicon : '20 JT 3.6 Overland
Vehicle Showcase
4 cylinder turbo engines have come a long way. Looking at other brands that are being offered small boosted engines with great towing capacities eg. ford EcoBoost. That new Ford Ranger coming out has a rating of 7500 lb towing capacity with a 2.3 liter turbo. Looking at Chevrolet products the 2.8 duramax torque curve compared to their new offering of a 2.7 4 cylinder turbo in the Silverado. Certainly to look at for the next few years. Small displacement turbos mimicking small diesel capabilities.

fullsizeoutput_5e2.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_5e3.jpeg

loracekim

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
I heard that Jeep isn't placing a 2.0 in the Gladiator since it didn't perform as well for towing. Do some checking to confirm.
"Jeep will not offer its 2.0-liter I4 turbo engine in the Gladiator, The Drive reports. A Fiat Chrysler spokesperson told The Drive that "the 3.6-liter [V6] engine can handle the temperatures seen while towing," intimating that the Wrangler's four-pot might not be able to tow and haul with the best of 'em."

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
Oops real facts were introduced , this thread is about to die. Jeep is telling you the 2.0 is not there towing choice and the 2.0 fan boys will disagree of course.
Send your graphs and charts over to jeep, Iā€™m sure they donā€™t know any better. LOL

Dalingrin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oops real facts were introduced , this thread is about to die. Jeep is telling you the 2.0 is not there towing choice and the 2.0 fan boys will disagree of course.
Send your graphs and charts over to jeep, Iā€™m sure they donā€™t know any better. LOL
Jeep were really chasing the spec sheet war with that 7650lb tow rating. I can totally believe the 3.6 was easier to keep cool in that scenario but at the 3500lb max of the Wrangler the 2.0 seems to do fine. So, for me, if cooling isnā€™t an issue then Iā€™m leaning towards the 2.0 for the more readily available torque.

Rhinozeroone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0
We regularly tow a travel trailer with a dry weight of 3016 lbs with our 2.0T on 37's. I barely notice the trailer on regular drives but it does struggle a bit going uphill. We get about 11-12 MPG (according to the computer) while towing and 19-22 MPG (according to the computer) when not. The computer is typically 2 MPG optimistic with higher MPG number and about 1 at the lower numbers. Braking is surprisingly good. We have a Teknosha P3 brake controller set with 1.6 Gain.

The Gladiator not getting the 2.0 was about thermal management with greater than 3500 lbs. We watch the temps with the auxiliary gauges and the temps under load are less than 10 degrees higher than normal.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I think they are both perfectly fine with up to 3500 lbs, which is the max a JL can do. No need to worry about this with your choice. I'd focus on other things you prefer with one over the other.

I will say that I tow a boat and a UTV frequently with my JL with 35's. It does just fine and the manual is fine, too. 1st gear is like a granny gear, so getting going is a snap, even up a steep boat ramp. Autos are very nice for towing, but the towing question for the manual is not if the transmission can handle it. It is if the driver can handle it.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
Where specifically did Jeep say that?

Jeepcity

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jl rubicon tj rubicon yj cj 8 cj 7 cherokee
I think they are both perfectly fine with up to 3500 lbs, which is the max a JL can do. No need to worry about this with your choice. I'd focus on other things you prefer with one over the other.

I will say that I tow a boat and a UTV frequently with my JL with 35's. It does just fine and the manual is fine, too. 1st gear is like a granny gear, so getting going is a snap, even up a steep boat ramp. Autos are very nice for towing, but the towing question for the manual is not if the transmission can handle it. It is if the driver can handle it.

Now this is Funny . Must not tow much !

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Now this is Funny . Must not tow much !
So I guess you can't handle the manual?

upload_2019-8-21_22-14-12.jpeg

Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0 v 3.6 towing {filename}

I tow all the time with my JL. Not more than the rated 3500 lbs, though. I tow even more with my JK, which has a taller 1st gear. No problem.

Jeepcity

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jl rubicon tj rubicon yj cj 8 cj 7 cherokee
I can
So I guess you can't handle the manual?

I tow all the time with my JL. Not more than the rated 3500 lbs, though. I tow even more with my JK, which has a taller 1st gear. No problem.
I tow as well , No more then 2000 LBS. Owning nothing but manual Jeeps since my 71 cj 5 and 20 years of Truck driving ( 140,000 lbs) you learn what works and what does not. The low torque 3.6 fails when mated to a manual . can it be done ? sure! rev, and slip the clutch . But for me that is not a long term option . Glad you love yours.
Sponsored