Sponsored

2024 Wrangler towing capacity difference between 2.0 turbo vs 3.6 engines?

Patthe

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler unlimited JL
Hi
I know the new wrangler will have better towing capacity.
Is there a difference between the 2.0 turbo and the v6 engine?
Will it be the same 5000 pound towing capacity?

Thanks
Sponsored

storyg

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JEEP JK
I am not sure where you can determine that a 2024 Wrangler JL of any model will have better towing capacity than 2023's until JEEP actually publishes the entire specifications. I will imagine that the max tow will still be 3,500 lbs as the frame, specifically its overall length, is one of the main factors. HP and Torque can be increased but that won't make any difference if it is unsafe, chassis, axles, and suspension wise. Brakes can be an issue too, depending on overall combined weight.

The Gladiator JT on the other hand, has a longer wheelbase with the frame borrowing characteristics of the RAM pickup truck. Mechanical differences on the Sport & Sport S models along with the Heavy Duty Tow package option can get over 6,000 lbs tow capacity. I think the number now is up to 7500 or 7,700 lbs but you would have to go to JEEP site and look at the specifications for a Sport or Sport S. Tongue weight will increase to. We have to bkee in mind the weight of the driver, all passengers, dogs, cats and stuff you toss into the interior and bed of the truck does not exceed max payload number for the particular model of JEEP.

Something other than an empty flat bed means frontal surface will impact the load on the engine/trans/axles with airflow. Especially a head wind. And then there is the rear axle differential which for heavy towing, alway has a higher ratio to handle the task. The higher ratio can effect fuel mileage negatively. That depends on driving habits, wind, slopes, and if a lot of in-town stops and starts to get X weight on a roll.

Tongue weight ignored and too heavy makes the front wheels light. Dangerous to drive the faster we go. Proper labeled Load Range for the tires on the trailer? Tow vehicle? Brake controller model and where its located if you have to operate it manually. Towing safely is a big deal. Some of this you can get away with at lower speeds around town but ignore one or more of what is right to be done safely, I don't want be driving anywhere near that person.

You definitely don't want the tail wagging the dog so all these things matter. Gas engine-wise, JL and JT gassers are offered with the same engines and transmissions. I think (needs confirmation) that the Heavy Duty Tow Package on a Gladiator is only offered with the V6 and aforementioned HD Towing Package. Besides a higher amperage alternator, the HD option also includes HD Cooling. Class IV hitch and 4:11 rear diff gears. I think only with the V6, not the Turbo 4. Maybe not even on the 4xe with its turbo 4 & hybrid electric which provides more hp and torque. But---in what RPM range does it apply the hp and torque, matters. If its still only offered with the V6, there could be reasons its not offered due to torque curve. Or just that JEEP hasn't gotten around to durability testing with the 4 or 4xe package. I don't even look at the Italian diesel. Seems a number of these diesel engines have serious problems. A lot of guys love them but I feel like I am hearing too many stories about sudden death failures.

Deleted member 59498

I am not sure where you can determine that a 2024 Wrangler JL of any model will have better towing capacity than 2023's until JEEP actually publishes the entire specifications. I will imagine that the max tow will still be 3,500 lbs as the frame, specifically its overall length, is one of the main factors. HP and Torque can be increased but that won't make any difference if it is unsafe, chassis, axles, and suspension wise. Brakes can be an issue too, depending on overall combined weight.

The Gladiator JT on the other hand, has a longer wheelbase with the frame borrowing characteristics of the RAM pickup truck. Mechanical differences on the Sport & Sport S models along with the Heavy Duty Tow package option can get over 6,000 lbs tow capacity. I think the number now is up to 7500 or 7,700 lbs but you would have to go to JEEP site and look at the specifications for a Sport or Sport S. Tongue weight will increase to. We have to bkee in mind the weight of the driver, all passengers, dogs, cats and stuff you toss into the interior and bed of the truck does not exceed max payload number for the particular model of JEEP.

Something other than an empty flat bed means frontal surface will impact the load on the engine/trans/axles with airflow. Especially a head wind. And then there is the rear axle differential which for heavy towing, alway has a higher ratio to handle the task. The higher ratio can effect fuel mileage negatively. That depends on driving habits, wind, slopes, and if a lot of in-town stops and starts to get X weight on a roll.

Tongue weight ignored and too heavy makes the front wheels light. Dangerous to drive the faster we go. Proper labeled Load Range for the tires on the trailer? Tow vehicle? Brake controller model and where its located if you have to operate it manually. Towing safely is a big deal. Some of this you can get away with at lower speeds around town but ignore one or more of what is right to be done safely, I don't want be driving anywhere near that person.

You definitely don't want the tail wagging the dog so all these things matter. Gas engine-wise, JL and JT gassers are offered with the same engines and transmissions. I think (needs confirmation) that the Heavy Duty Tow Package on a Gladiator is only offered with the V6 and aforementioned HD Towing Package. Besides a higher amperage alternator, the HD option also includes HD Cooling. Class IV hitch and 4:11 rear diff gears. I think only with the V6, not the Turbo 4. Maybe not even on the 4xe with its turbo 4 & hybrid electric which provides more hp and torque. But---in what RPM range does it apply the hp and torque, matters. If its still only offered with the V6, there could be reasons its not offered due to torque curve. Or just that JEEP hasn't gotten around to durability testing with the 4 or 4xe package. I don't even look at the Italian diesel. Seems a number of these diesel engines have serious problems. A lot of guys love them but I feel like I am hearing too many stories about sudden death failures.
You are late to the party, already reported.

Was that high in Europe anyway with past models.

NickJar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 RD

I agree with don’t over doing what it was designed for and that the jt has higher tow because of your stated points.

I think the biggest question, is the 4XE with the full float good for 5k towing. I think the assumption is yes, however, it hasn’t been stated from jeep. Just like the previous years the tow cap is the same across all engines.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

Patthe

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The '24 Rubicon's have a full float rear axle which allow a higher 5K tow capacity, regardless of engine.
So the sahara don't have that suspension so I assume it will tow max 3500 like the regular JL?
I think from what I'm reading only the 4xe and rubicon will have the full float.

bisonX

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X
I am placing an order for a 2024 Rubicon X on Monday. 3 dealers say they have no definitive written info from Jeep to say what the 3.6l or 2.0l with full float axle/35"/4.56/Automatic will tow BUT they all feel confident the 3.6l is rated 5000lbs. No guesses on the 2.0l turbo. I called the Jeep customer service 3 times and got two different answers - one said "yes the 3.6l Rubicon Auto is rated 5000lbs", two other tech's said nothing is in writing yet. No one would guess on the 2.0l towing.
I rarely plan to tow 5000lbs - maybe for 6 total hours a year and if the 2.0l turbo is capable - I want the extra gas mileage as this is my daily driver. Live at sea level, mild dirt fire trails only.
Does anyone have definitive written information on the tow capacity of the 2.0 litre turbo in a Rubicon Automatic with 35"/4.56/full float?
no guesses please -
Jeep factory - please get your act together on documentation and literature as the 2024 owners manual is wrong, the web builds are incomplete on towingand the dealers have no documentation and Customer service is also baffled. Big new feature - 5000lbs towing (finally) and rolled out poorly.

OP
OP

Patthe

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am placing an order for a 2024 Rubicon X on Monday. 3 dealers say they have no definitive written info from Jeep to say what the 3.6l or 2.0l with full float axle/35"/4.56/Automatic will tow BUT they all feel confident the 3.6l is rated 5000lbs. No guesses on the 2.0l turbo. I called the Jeep customer service 3 times and got two different answers - one said "yes the 3.6l Rubicon Auto is rated 5000lbs", two other tech's said nothing is in writing yet. No one would guess on the 2.0l towing.
I rarely plan to tow 5000lbs - maybe for 6 total hours a year and if the 2.0l turbo is capable - I want the extra gas mileage as this is my daily driver. Live at sea level, mild dirt fire trails only.
Does anyone have definitive written information on the tow capacity of the 2.0 litre turbo in a Rubicon Automatic with 35"/4.56/full float?
no guesses please -
Jeep factory - please get your act together on documentation and literature as the 2024 owners manual is wrong, the web builds are incomplete on towingand the dealers have no documentation and Customer service is also baffled. Big new feature - 5000lbs towing (finally) and rolled out poorly.
I found it only the rubicon has it.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2024 Wrangler towing capacity difference between 2.0 turbo vs 3.6 engines? Screenshot_20230608_141506_OneDrive
Jeep Wrangler JL 2024 Wrangler towing capacity difference between 2.0 turbo vs 3.6 engines? Screenshot_20230608_141514_OneDrive

bisonX

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X
I found it only the rubicon has it.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2024 Wrangler towing capacity difference between 2.0 turbo vs 3.6 engines? Screenshot_20230608_141514_OneDrive
Thanks Patthe, yes I do know already that all Rubicons have the full float axles for 2024 BUT I cannot get a definitive answer on whether the 2.0litre is Jeep rated to tow 5000lbs with the 35" inch tire option.
As has been stated by others, a vehicles tow rating is defined by the lowest rated component (could be brakes, frame torsional stiffness, axle load rating, available engine torque etc... many factors here). If you compare the torque curves of the 2.0litreturbo with the 3.6 normally aspirated you will see it does not make torque until a much higher rpm than the 3.6. This is an uncomfortable thing for trailer towing. The 2.0l actually makes more torque and horsepower but it has to spool up to a higher rpm to get a heavy trailer off the line. This may be ok with Jeep engineers and they may, in fact, rate the 2.0 litre to tow the 5000lbs but I want to hear it from the factory or see it in official Jeep print before I hand over $68,000+. My safe bet is to order a 3.6l but hoping to get a definitive answer before I finalize the deal on Monday afternoon (2 days). But thanks for the information here.

Sponsored

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Thanks Patthe, yes I do know already that all Rubicons have the full float axles for 2024 BUT I cannot get a definitive answer on whether the 2.0litre is Jeep rated to tow 5000lbs with the 35" inch tire option.
As has been stated by others, a vehicles tow rating is defined by the lowest rated component (could be brakes, frame torsional stiffness, axle load rating, available engine torque etc... many factors here). If you compare the torque curves of the 2.0litreturbo with the 3.6 normally aspirated you will see it does not make torque until a much higher rpm than the 3.6. This is an uncomfortable thing for trailer towing. The 2.0l actually makes more torque and horsepower but it has to spool up to a higher rpm to get a heavy trailer off the line. This may be ok with Jeep engineers and they may, in fact, rate the 2.0 litre to tow the 5000lbs but I want to hear it from the factory or see it in official Jeep print before I hand over $68,000+. My safe bet is to order a 3.6l but hoping to get a definitive answer before I finalize the deal on Monday afternoon (2 days). But thanks for the information here.
Not to be argumentative, but (in the US) a tow rating is determined by SAE J2807. Sure, the manufacturers can saw that certain parts can withstand certain loads under certain conditions. But, in order to find the tow rating, the manufacturer takes their vehicle to a test track, and then out to the Davis Dam, and tests it. It's the culmination of the parts that gets the rating, not the individual ones.

Which is also why you should take those ratings with a grain of salt. Are you going to be towing max load up a 3000' tall mountain, using just a 11.4 mile long road, in 100+*F heat? Are you going to be parking your truck and max-load trailer on a 12% grade and launch the truck 5x in a row, in under 5 minutes, while traveling at least 5 meters each time, in both drive and reverse?

If you're not doing those things, then your vehicle can probably handle a little more than the "max tow rating".

bisonX

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X
Thanks for that response ! I just got a call from Jeep customer service - the only (current) written location for the 5000lb tow rating is in a Stellantis press release in April.
So the result for a Rubicon (and Rubicon X option) - both the turbo 2.0l and the N/A 3.6l are rated for 5000lbs towing with 35" tires with a 4:56 or steeper gear or 33inch tires with a 4:10 or steeper gear. The Rubicon 4xe with the turbo 2.0l is also rated 5000lbs but with the 33inch tires with 4:10 or steeper gear. 35" is not available on a 4xe at this time (or maybe never).
So this came direct from Jeep Customer Service and took 4 different folks and multiple calls to get this and here is most of the backup in writing on this:
https://media.stellantisnorthamerica.com/newsrelease.do?id=24890&mid=4

I did speak with a few dealers who did not know the answer on towing but they all felt the 3.6l would have a higher resale on a Rubicon model in the future. I already own a fully electric Chevy Volt and a BMW Plug in Hybrid - so we are already helping the planet. (except my pristine 540cuin, 755hp 1968 Camaro at 8.5mpg).

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Given the fact that the engines, transmissions, brakes, cooling system, rearends, frame, etc. is all the same between a 2023 and 2024, my guess is that nothing was done to change the Jeep to up the tow rating, but rather that they actually went out and tested it and found that it could tow a lot more than 3500lbs.

bisonX

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X
actually the fundamental change made for 2024 are the full floating axles, only available in the Rubicon , hence the only model rated for 5000lbs, all others 3500lbs or less.

OrneryBear

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Sarge JLUR 6spd
actually the fundamental change made for 2024 are the full floating axles, only available in the Rubicon , hence the only model rated for 5000lbs, all others 3500lbs or less.
I think the new full float rear axle and 5k tow rating is the only thing I'm jealous of on the new rubicon over my 23.
Sponsored