Sponsored

2024 Wrangler towing capacity difference between 2.0 turbo vs 3.6 engines?

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The frame, brakes, wheelbase, etc. has nothing to do with Wrangler's 3,500 lb. tow limit. We've seen smaller Jeeps with higher tow ratings for decades.

The full floating axles only help the equation, but keeping the engine cool is the biggest factor, which is why the 2.0T isn't offered in Gladiator. They have to meet SAE J2807, and it's hard to do with such a cramped, hot engine bay.
Sponsored

Jeep Wick

First Name
Wick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 High Tide
Occupation
Mechanic
This is incredibly disappointing. Even the salesguy said "Oh yeah, all the Rubicon's can now tow 5000lbs." So they didn't even know. We really want to get a small trailer and travel with it, but at 3500 max that's probably not going to happen. If I cancel I lose the deposit and all because the salesguy didn't know what he was selling yet. :(
TBH, I have not met a salesman yet that actually knows anything about anything. You and I typically know more specs than they do. Always ask for documentation.

UnlikelyJeepLady

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 V8 Grand Cherokee, '24 Rubi X on order
TBH, I have not met a salesman yet that actually knows anything about anything. You and I typically know more specs than they do. Always ask for documentation.
Live and learn! First time ordering a vehicle. I've always just gone to the lot and said, "That one".

It doesn't help that they decided to quietly change the specs after I ordered. It is all in writing too, because we've been e-mailing and he kept saying 5000, until I mentioned the tire size specification.

Last edited:

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
actually the fundamental change made for 2024 are the full floating axles, only available in the Rubicon , hence the only model rated for 5000lbs, all others 3500lbs or less.
The axle change does nothing to affect the actual tow rating tests unless they were snapping rear axles when testing above 3500lbs. Being that they were not to my knowledge, and the JLU has had a 5500lb tow rating in Australia since day one(which everyone on here has argued lower testing standards), I’d still argue they were under rated at 3500lbs before 2024. I think the new certification is simply being used as a sales pitch for the full float axle. The WJ grand cherokees had a 5k lb to rating with shorter wheelbase, much weaker unibody design, a far weaker aluminum center section rear axle and weaker brakes. Why the JLU was ever rated at just 3500lbs is a mystery that is even more questionable with the new 5klb rating of the 2024s. The axle in every JLU is better and stronger in every way than previous Jeeps with higher ratings. The only possible change that could effect actual tow testing standards would be the new grill improving air flow/cooling, and if that is all it took for the new rating Jeep really dropped the ball for 6 model years.

Diastole

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR, 2024 JL 4 Door Sport S
Just took delivery of a 2024 Sport S. One of the listed options was “Trailer-Tow and Heavy Duty Electrical Group” for $1,195. This includes a 7-pin and 4-pin wiring harness. The hitch receiver is a 2 inch receiver. I believe this is consistent with a class IV hitch with likely a 5,000 lb rather than 3,500 lb capacity. I might be wrong.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Just took delivery of a 2024 Sport S. One of the listed options was “Trailer-Tow and Heavy Duty Electrical Group” for $1,195. This includes a 7-pin and 4-pin wiring harness. The hitch receiver is a 2 inch receiver. I believe this is consistent with a class IV hitch with likely a 5,000 lb rather than 3,500 lb capacity. I might be wrong.
I could be wrong, but I have never seen a Class IV hitch for a Wrangler due to how the hitch mounts on the Wrangler. Class IV is usually 1,000 lbs. tongue and 10,000 trailer max, and that requires bolting down both frame rails like on a pickup truck. Wranglers don't even have 1,000 lbs. payload, much less tongue weight rating.

A Wrangler hitch is going to be Class III, so make sure to keep your tongue weights in check.

Diastole

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR, 2024 JL 4 Door Sport S
Thanks for clarifying that. I thought I was probably wrong. I don’t intend to tow any time soon. I use my F150 to pull the Airstream 23FB, although something smaller would be a consideration with the Jeep. I presume this hitch would then be rated to 3500?

UnlikelyJeepLady

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 V8 Grand Cherokee, '24 Rubi X on order
Thanks for clarifying that. I thought I was probably wrong. I don’t intend to tow any time soon. I use my F150 to pull the Airstream 23FB, although something smaller would be a consideration with the Jeep. I presume this hitch would then be rated to 3500?
They are 3500lb towing capacity unless you get a regular Rubicon without the XR package. Tongue weight is 350lbs.

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
I found this thread interesting, so much so i went and tried to spec a build a 2024 5k towing Jeep.. and i could not do it.. 2 door = 2k towing and 4 door = 3500k towing..

Jeep marketing is doing a lot of smoke and mirrors on this topics.. not sure why. my 2024 2 doors (w 4:88 full floater), Jeep did not even list it on the door sill labels.. odd.. not that i bought them for towing anything more than my M416 ..

Good thread thank you all for your efforts!.
Sponsored