Sponsored

Other Upgrades when adding lift

Iarftz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Just got my first jeep in July, it’s a 2019 JLU rubicon, id like to add a 2.5 inch terraflex lift with sp2 Falcon shocks and 35 inch tires. I’ve heard different things about what else needs/should be upgraded when doing this such as the drive shaft and although I know with a lift of this size I can get away without it I plan on doing the upgrade, is there anything else that should be upgraded to avoid premature wear? Just trying to do it right!
Sponsored

simrokkzz

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Passat + Focus ST
I would go with control arms and track bars, being able to adjust all caster/camber, etc. like it should be.
This will change when lifting the car.

In term of drive shaft I read a couple of times, this will just be a problem for 3.5 lift when fully articulated.

cheers
Simon

Tritonman

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
ITS Duty Manager
oh boy, welcome to rabbit hole.

At 2.5 your driveshaft is fine. I recommend an adjustable front track bar unless your lift comes with one or a front track bar relocation bracket. This will help center your front axle after the lift. Front lower adjustable control arms or LCA geometry correction bracket. This will help you fine tune your caster. A rear trackbar relocation bracket, unless the lift comes with one. This will help with body roll.

Borgs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU SPORT
Vehicle Showcase
Also with the lift comes bigger tires so now you need a spare tire carrier to accommodate the 35" tire. The tire is heavier as well so now you need to reinforce tailgate. A 35" tire does not fit on the stock jeep rim which is 7.5" wide so you need new rims that are 8.5" - 9" wide. Your speedometer will be out so you need that reprogrammed too.

Rabbit hole indeed

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
oh boy, welcome to rabbit hole.

At 2.5 your driveshaft is fine. I recommend an adjustable front track bar unless your lift comes with one or a front track bar relocation bracket. This will help center your front axle after the lift. Front lower adjustable control arms or LCA geometry correction bracket. This will help you fine tune your caster. A rear trackbar relocation bracket, unless the lift comes with one. This will help with body roll.
The adjustable rear track bar/relocation bracket doesn't do anything for body roll. It centers the rear axle.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
The adjustable rear track bar/relocation bracket doesn't do anything for body roll. It centers the rear axle.
You are correct, it does center the axle, however it raises the track bar and by raising, it helps minimize lean when cornering.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
You are correct, it does center the axle, however it raises the track bar and by raising, it helps minimize lean when cornering.
Lol. It centers the axle by raising it back to stock geometry. The angle of the track bar doesn't really affect lean/body roll unless we're talking extreme angles.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Lol. It centers the axle by raising it back to stock geometry.
Correct... when you raise your rig 3.5” and higher you’ll raise cog so you’ll have a little more lean when cornering. The bracket helps it return to stock .

Tritonman

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
ITS Duty Manager
I respectfully disagree. Per Teraflex.

The TeraFlex JL/JLU: Rear Track Bar Axle Bracket Kit corrects vehicle roll center, restores factory handling, and reduces body roll in lifted JL/JLU Wrangler models.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
x3 on the rabbit hole.

It's like buying a lathe or a mill - the initial purchase of the actual machine is cheap compared to all the tooling you're gonna want.

I'd really consider a comprehensive kit for lifting the JL - ultimately it'll save you lots of time and maybe some money. Worst case you'll probably break even on expense - buy once, cry once as they say

That said I'm all for having fun on a budget so if you can only afford $X now and you can't wait, ok. You can always add and upgrade stuff later just know in the long run you're definitely not saving time and probably not saving money.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I respectfully disagree. Per Teraflex.

The TeraFlex JL/JLU: Rear Track Bar Axle Bracket Kit corrects vehicle roll center, restores factory handling, and reduces body roll in lifted JL/JLU Wrangler models.
Well of course that's what they say. How much does it have to "reduce body roll" in order for them to make that claim. No doubt it's better to get the track bar up closer to factory specs. What you truly need is a bracket AS WELL as an adjustable track bar. All I'm saying is that the geometrical change on relocating the axle end of the track bar has a minimal affect on body roll until lift heights get so high as to make track bar angles silly.

OP
OP

Iarftz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
x3 on the rabbit hole.

It's like buying a lathe or a mill - the initial purchase of the actual machine is cheap compared to all the tooling you're gonna want.

I'd really consider a comprehensive kit for lifting the JL - ultimately it'll save you lots of time and maybe some money. Worst case you'll probably break even on expense - buy once, cry once as they say

That said I'm all for having fun on a budget so if you can only afford $X now and you can't wait, ok. You can always add and upgrade stuff later just know in the long run you're definitely not saving time and probably not saving money.
Thanks for the input, Is there a kit you recommend?

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Well of course that's what they say. How much does it have to "reduce body roll" in order for them to make that claim. No doubt it's better to get the track bar up closer to factory specs. What you truly need is a bracket AS WELL as an adjustable track bar. All I'm saying is that the geometrical change on relocating the axle end of the track bar has a minimal affect on body roll until lift heights get so high as to make track bar angles silly.
Speaking of that... do you have the bracket on your rig? I know you’re running rk. Mine is making the track bar hit the exhaust. How is yours, is it clearing? I got maybe a 1/4” now. My pinion angle was off so I rotated it down to better align it, that helped some, but was wondering how yours is. I contacted another member on the subject and when he checked, it had been rubbing as well.
Thanks
Roky

2DEAC4DD-BF51-42B5-B4D7-6C957007E00A.jpeg

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Speaking of that... do you have the bracket on your rig? I know you’re running rk. Mine is making the track bar hit the exhaust. How is yours, is it clearing? I got maybe a 1/4” now. My pinion angle was off so I rotated it down to better align it, that helped some, but was wondering how yours is. I contacted another member on the subject and when he checked, it had been rubbing as well.
Thanks
Roky

2DEAC4DD-BF51-42B5-B4D7-6C957007E00A.jpeg
I have the RK kit with bracket and track bar but I'm not running the factory exhaust. Sorry I'm no help.