Sponsored

Bronco features you would like Jeep to incorporate into Wrangler during JL's mid-cycle redesign

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Incorporate:
- Wide Dana 44's front and rear on all trims
- 4.10's standard; 4.56 and 4.88 optional
- Option of rear locker or lsd on non Rubicons
- Full LED Lighting Group standard on all trims
- 8.4" screen becomes standard and 12" optional on all trims
- Plusher seating both front and rear
- Manual slide out seat extensions and 1/4 turn friction locks to support longer leg comfort
- Increase the length of travel on the seat height adjustment, to better accommodate taller owners/buyers
- Front facing trailcam with HD resolution and those cool ghost treads optional on all models.

Don't Incorporate:
- Mirrors on the a-pillars. It's a hindrance in the environment that an offroad segment vehicle is primarily designed to navigate.
- Deleted structural crossbar for the sport cage. Along with the accompanied relocation of the speakers to being an obstruction in the cargo area.
- Frameless door windows, and what appears to be a roof line that wraps further down to make up the difference anyway
- 360° camera. Only works with mirrors that never leave the vehicle
- More removable roof panels. It doubles the potential leak and squeak points

All of the items in the "don't" list are better suited to run of the mill commuter vehicles. All they do on an offroad minded vehicle, is water down its capabilities and/or are targeting those who care more about the "look". Bronco clearly opted for form over function with many of its design choices.

I've typed it before, and I think it holds enough weight to be worth typing again. The Bronco was designed with commuter comfort as priority #1 and offroad capability as #2, as long as it doesn't impede on #1. Jeep has always done the exact opposite because they obviously believe in function over form. Is there room for improvements on the Wrangler? Yes, but not at the expense of watering down an icon. In a world that is throwing tradition into the wind, I for one am proud to see Jeep continue its mission. To be able to bring average Americans to far reaches that would even be difficult on foot. End babble. :like:
One minor disagreement, make all gear ratios optional. I would loved to be able to option 410’s for my 392. Oh yeah, and hood locks
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I did buy my stripped no-frills Jeep for $26K (new), so, in a way, I have agreed with you.. but it's kind of insulting to not include power locks and A/C and other basics that effectively every other vehicle sold in this county has standard. I'm in the process of installing power locks into this Jeep.. but, I'm taking the power locks out of my 2nd hand half-doors to put in my full doors, so I also agree with you that half doors don't need them (only because I'm not planning on using the uppers). But I think those uppers need to be more freeway-speed-friendly for half doors to be a standard option.

I grew up in the 70s & 80s, I lived through the days of no AC and manual everything being normal. I'm not sure why anyone would be nostalgic for it... but then again, people collect Beanie Babies and dinner plates with portraits of Elvis on them, so I guess everyone has their thing. Windows are really the only power equipment that no longer operates manually when the powered part fails (actuators don't usually physically stop you from adjusting mirrors or unlocking a door) so there's very little disadvantage to making it standard. The argument for "more things to break" just brings you to where you were if you didn't have it at all, so... no harm no foul if it does break?
I had as much fun in my no frills 93 YJ as my $50k JLUR. That's where the nostalgia comes from. Simpler times, simpler Jeep. Loved every minute in it.

I wouldn't trade my 2018. But I'd consider adding a basic JL to the stable, for sure.

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
Not intending to throw cold water on this thread--which does in fact produce valuable customer feedback to Jeep/FCA/Stellantis, however just keep in mind:

Any significant changes involving tooling or design would have been started two or three years ago for a 2022 Model Year introduction. The factory has to design, test, troubleshoot, modify, and finalize design changes BEFORE placing orders for tooling or parts supply from subcontractors.

Smaller tweaks to existing designs and/or improvement of assembly techniques can be ongoing and implemented much faster. But even these must go through design, test, troubleshoot, modify, and finalization.

Your feedback is invaluable to Jeep, just don't expect to see "Eureka!" changes next month or even next year in most cases!

I speak from 29 years of corporate experience/employment with a manufacturer in a totally different industry. Yes, it's frustrating to customers and sales/marketing types alike, but product changes and introductions just take time.

Keep up the great comments! I am sure the engineers and product managers are reading them!

MH

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
A car with LED cannot lower their beams.
Huh?!?

I got LEDs with low and high beams. Every vehicle has low and high beams by law.

Sponsored

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
However, I also think that the issue is more about how bad the halogen reflector headlights are. I'd love some decent projector halogen headlights over LEDs personally. LED headlights are just a solution that already exists. I haven't had headlights this bad since the old sealed beams of yesteryear.
That’s where we differ. The Halogens are adequate and that’s what headlights should be. If extra light is needed, high beams are there for a reason. Drivers don’t need to see every little thing in front of them. Not at the expense of blinding oncoming traffic.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I would have loved to get a Sahara but i wanted a 2 door so...
Yeah the 2 door 80th is the closest you can get to a 2 door Sahara.

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
Not intending to throw cold water on this thread--which does in fact produce valuable customer feedback to Jeep/FCA/Stellantis, however just keep in mind:

Any significant changes involving tooling or design would have been started two or three years ago for a 2022 Model Year introduction. The factory has to design, test, troubleshoot, modify, and finalize design changes BEFORE placing orders for tooling or parts supply from subcontractors.

Smaller tweaks to existing designs and/or improvement of assembly techniques can be ongoing and implemented much faster. But even these must go through design, test, troubleshoot, modify, and finalization.

Your feedback is invaluable to Jeep, just don't expect to see "Eureka!" changes next month or even next year in most cases!

I speak from 29 years of corporate experience/employment with a manufacturer in a totally different industry. Yes, it's frustrating to customers and sales/marketing types alike, but product changes and introductions just take time.

Keep up the great comments! I am sure the engineers and product managers are reading them!

MH
Yep, my comments were geared more toward next generation!!! Don't know if I got my threads mixed up or ignored the "Mid-cycle" part?

I wouldn't expect many refresh changes!!!

Sponsored

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
That’s where we differ. The Halogens are adequate and that’s what headlights should be. If extra light is needed, high beams are there for a reason. Drivers don’t need to see every little thing in front of them. Not at the expense of blinding oncoming traffic.
While I agree with not blinding on coming drivers the halogen lights are less than adequate out in the country. In those situations with nothing to reflect light around the headlights disappear way too fast.

I honestly believe a good set of projector headlights should be standard on all vehicles, I have had them with hid, led and halogen bulbs and they make a world of difference over standard reflector housings.

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
Regarding LED headlights, in 2018, in the first full year of production, there were many reports on this forum of JLU LED headlights blinding drivers, who would flash their headlights at us incessantly. My 2018 JLUR fit that description.

One night while driving down my unlit street, I noticed that my high beams were pointed upward into the trees and my low beams were essentially level. That is incorrect aiming: High beams should be level and low beams dipped.

Having installed and aimed halogen headlights since around 1970, long before they were standard (or legal), and also same with legal driving lights, I re-aimed my headlights and haven't looked back since (nor had any angry flashes at me). Re-aiming meant parking in front of my garage doors about 20 feet back, measuring height of the center of the headlights vs. the height of the projected high beam vs. the height of the projected low beam cutoff (should be down around 3 inches or so), and turning the adjustments screws accordingly. It helped to cover one headlight to aim the other. These are just rough recollection of my aiming parameters.

I just found some high-beam aiming instructions on my computer, dated November, 2018, that I obviously used as reference and which I will attach below. I'll note that each JLU headlight aims as an assembly; one cannot aim the high and low beams individually. Since the difference of aiming between the high and low beam is fixed, aiming the high beam correctly should provide correct low beam aim.

Regarding all those early production complaints, I theorize that the factory is supposed to aim the headlights, using the high beam and setting at level. If the technician (or maybe the supplier) aimed the headlights at level using the low beam, that would explain the high beam in the sky and low beam blinding other drivers. Since these complaints have essentially disappeared from the forum, I suspect FCA quietly fixed the aiming issue in the factory.

If you are still getting lots of flashes from other drivers, check and fix your aiming!

Raised vehicles complicate the issue, of course. If you in a Fiat 500 are right in front of an 18-wheeler, the truck's lights are going to be in your rear-view mirror, that's just geometry. Accordingly, YMMV.

Attachments

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
I disagree. Jeep should keep the most basic Wrangler possible, but even more so. Make it with half doors and soft uppers with zipper windows and lower the MSRP to $25,000 or even a little less. But sales are so good that it is not at all necessary. They'd only consider it if sales slumped. I know several folks who would jump at that kind of Jeep.
^^^^^ This - with the 392 as a stand alone option (without all the other crap required on the “392”)

if I’m getting picky, in a 2 door with a bit of extra length / room behind the rear seats

okay - if you’re really asking, stand alone AC option - as I’m not a complete Neanderthal

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKURHR
It's not a Bronco feature, but can Jeep please do away with the stupid door nets? I know the doors need to be thin for removal. But I'd rather have a thin plastic pocket than the useless nets. Even if I can only fit a map, a small bottle of DEET, and a pocket knife, that's still vastly better than the current solution.

And if we can't have this, can we have nets that don't permanently stretch out the first time they're used? Maybe adjustable (but not elastic) straps, or something?

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
It's not a Bronco feature, but can Jeep please do away with the stupid door nets? I know the doors need to be thin for removal. But I'd rather have a thin plastic pocket than the useless nets. Even if I can only fit a map, a small bottle of DEET, and a pocket knife, that's still vastly better than the current solution.

And if we can't have this, can we have nets that don't permanently stretch out the first time they're used? Maybe adjustable (but not elastic) straps, or something?
I am amazed at how much stuff my wife can cram into the netting on her side. :facepalm:
Sponsored