Sponsored

Bronco features you would like Jeep to incorporate into Wrangler during JL's mid-cycle redesign

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Everyone keeps saying "competition is good!", which I agree with for the most part.

Since we've had a chance to virtually see the new Bronco ad-nausea, what...
  1. Features would you want Jeep to INCORPORATE
  2. Features would you want Jeep to AVOID

I will start:

Features to INCORPORATE
  1. I am very impressed with the large 12-inch trail cam. The image is huge and clear
  2. In Bronco 2-door, I like how easy it is to fold forward the front seat to get out. After many years, Jeep still hasn't figured out how to design an front seat release for the 2 door the doesn't break, or doesn't break your fingers!
  3. Honestly, I like the slightly longer wheelbase of the 2-door Bronco. I'd love Jeep to bring back a long-wheelbase 2-door, like it offered for a couple years at the end of TJ's cycle --aka LJ
  4. I don't really care for Wrangler's folding windshield. It is a feature that adds cost and complexity that barely anyone uses any more
Features to AVOID
  1. I hate those frameless windows. Please Jeep...don't even go there!
  2. Bronco 2-door uses a conventional rear seat folding mechanism that leaves the backrest hinges protruding. The Wrangler 2-door rear seat is a masterpiece in simplicity and versatility
  3. Don't get rid of the soundbar in the middle of the vehicle; I love having the speakers right there
  4. I am torn with the modular hardtop. I think it would be cool to remove the rear panels, but I don't want it at the expense of adding rattles and leaks, and diminishing overall top integrity
  5. I don't remove the doors, so the A-pillar mounted mirrors are a non-issue for me. From a design standpoint, I prefer the mirrors where they are, right on the doors
  6. Do NOT replace the cable hand brake with an e-brake
  7. Do NOT replace the 4WD lever with a button; I don't care if the lever takes 100 lbs of force to pull!
  8. Most obvious one: DO NOT REPLACE THE FRONT SOLID AXLE with an IFS!

The guys at Stellantis are right now probably trying to figure out how to respond to Bronco. Let them know what you want and don't want changed on JL!
Sponsored

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
Body mount mirrors
Simplify & upgrade cables connecting door. (Military Grade, Idiot Proof, Bent pin impossibility.)
Modular hardtop minus the "Gunner hatch" with easily removable rear window.
Hardtop with built in hoist hooks attachment points.
Keep removable rear seat as is.
Fix front seat design.
Fixed front windshield.
Don't make 2 door any longer, wider or heavier.
Ditch Uconnect for something more reliable.
Re-design fenders so they don't catch and hold small rocks.

Torque ALL bolts & seat ALL fuses at the factory :angry:
Get the simple things right :angry:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I honestly don't know much about the details of the Bronco, but I'm sure there are some innovative ideas.

I like the large screen and what appears to be better off-road navigation. (Why Jeep got rid of the early JK's bread crumb feature, I'll never understand.) But I love the dash in my Wrangler and wouldn't want to mess it up. I wouldn't mind a larger screen that extends vertically, like in the Ram. But I wouldn't want much more horizontal space taken up by it. I LOVE the Wrangler's painted dash panels. They are a throw back to the CJ's painted dash. So I hope they don't screw that up.

Never, EVER, EVER, even consider an independent front suspension. I would never buy it.

One feature that I think is overrated is the pivot deal where the rear inside wheel brakes for a turn. It looks great for marketing, but I can't think of one time in 30+ years of off-roading where I would have needed that. Unnecessary complexity, neat as it looks in a commercial.

I'm very comfortable in my Rubicon's seats, but I've heard the Bronco's are better. So why not?

Jeep is already doing everything else I'd want, including 4.56 or 4.88 gearing, 35's and lift from the factory. Bronco is why those things happened. Heck, Bronco is why the 392 came to be. So we've already seen some positive things.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Stand alone half doors as an option instead of dual door group!
Rear Locker as option on all trim levels, instead of LSD.
Optional lower axle ratio on all trim levels. Optional 4.10s on Sport/Sahara and keep the 4.56 and 4.88 optional on Rubicons.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I want to be able to disconnect my sway bar mid flex
Experience will keep you out of the situation where you need to do that. And are we sure the Rubi won't already do that? I've not tried it because I'm usually disconnected when in low range, anyway. (Sometimes in high range, thanks to Tazer!)

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Bronco can keep the bland looks, too. Jeep has them 100% covered on that front. From more than 20 yards away, it looks like every other boxy SUV. The built up show Broncos drove right by us in Moab in April and my kids never noticed them. They never miss a Jeep, though.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
I own a base model Jeep (no a/c, manual everything), but they really should just eliminate that trim level, Ford's base model is even a little better than Jeep's "Sport S" as far as vehicle electronics. They should make LED lighting standard across the board as well, those halogens are dangerously dim.

I wouldn't hate a slightly longer 2-door... especially if by slightly longer it was a 6ft truck bed.

I like Jeep's solution for a modular hard top - removable windows ("Orange Peelz" concept). If I had an unlimited budget, I'd buy that top as soon as it was available - especially with the window in the freedom panel. I really love the soft top in safari config, this would basically be the hard top version of that.

As someone who is constantly removing and reinstalling the rear seat... I'm not sure I agree with you about the 2-door rear seat being a masterpiece. It should be two independently fold/tumble/remove seats, so they aren't as heavy/bulky to pull out, and it could afford a 3-seat configuration with a load of cargo room. Related to that... Maybe incorporate some magic to the rear seats on the JLU and front seats as well - the rears in the JLU should be able to fold flat. The passenger front at least should be able to fold flat maybe with some trickerations.

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
Some repeats from prior posts... because they are important.

Features to INCORPORATE
  1. Crawler gear in manual
  2. 4.56 gears STANDARD on all Manuals. 4.88s with 35 inch tire options (see next) <EDITED>
  3. Option to include 35 inch tires and locker (at least rear) on more trims than Rubicon
  4. Better Seats (suggestion based on what seems to be forum consensus)
Features to AVOID
  1. Bronco's leaky and creaky roof (for hardtop) and the crinkled and wavy rear windows (for soft top) :giggle:
  2. Do NOT replace the cable hand brake with an e-brake
  3. Do NOT replace the 4WD lever with a button
  4. IFS. NEVER EVER SHOULD THIS BE CONSIDERED

Last edited:

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I own a base model Jeep (no a/c, manual everything), but they really should just eliminate that trim level, Ford's base model is even a little better than Jeep's "Sport S" as far as vehicle electronics.
I disagree. Jeep should keep the most basic Wrangler possible, but even more so. Make it with half doors and soft uppers with zipper windows and lower the MSRP to $25,000 or even a little less. But sales are so good that it is not at all necessary. They'd only consider it if sales slumped. I know several folks who would jump at that kind of Jeep.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Some repeats from prior posts... because they are important.

Features to INCORPORATE
  1. Crawler gear in manual
  2. Option to include 35 inch tires and locker (at least rear) on more trims than Rubicon
  3. Better Seats (suggestion based on what seems to be forum consensus)
Features to AVOID
  1. Bronco's leaky and creaky roof (for hardtop) and the crinkled and wavy rear windows (for soft top) :giggle:
  2. Do NOT replace the cable hand brake with an e-brake
  3. Do NOT replace the 4WD lever with a button
  4. IFS. NEVER EVER SHOULD THIS BE CONSIDERED
Why a crawler gear? It's overkill. The 1st gear in the Wrangler is already extremely short. I think that gear will be useless in the Bronco except maybe on a boat ramp. But I've never had trouble pulling my boat up even the steepest ramps, fully loaded. Off-road, it is even less necessary, especially with a Rubicon.

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I own a base model Jeep (no a/c, manual everything), but they really should just eliminate that trim level, Ford's base model is even a little better than Jeep's "Sport S" as far as vehicle electronics. They should make LED lighting standard across the board as well, those halogens are dangerously dim.

I wouldn't hate a slightly longer 2-door... especially if by slightly longer it was a 6ft truck bed.

I like Jeep's solution for a modular hard top - removable windows ("Orange Peelz" concept). If I had an unlimited budget, I'd buy that top as soon as it was available - especially with the window in the freedom panel. I really love the soft top in safari config, this would basically be the hard top version of that.

As someone who is constantly removing and reinstalling the rear seat... I'm not sure I agree with you about the 2-door rear seat being a masterpiece. It should be two independently fold/tumble/remove seats, so they aren't as heavy/bulky to pull out, and it could afford a 3-seat configuration with a load of cargo room. Related to that... Maybe incorporate some magic to the rear seats on the JLU and front seats as well - the rears in the JLU should be able to fold flat. The passenger front at least should be able to fold flat maybe with some trickerations.
I like your idea of splitting up the 2-door rear seat in half. It would only take an extra set of anchors on the floor.

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Oh something I missed!

2 Door Sahara! And the 80th anniversary won't count next Model Year...
Agreed! I would be driving one now!
Sponsored