Sponsored

Bronco features you would like Jeep to incorporate into Wrangler during JL's mid-cycle redesign

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
This is what a JL "LJ" would look like built on a 108-inch wheelbase, about halfway between the current 2-door (96.8) and 4 door (118.4).

Don't tell it doesn't look HAWT!

Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco features you would like Jeep to incorporate into Wrangler during JL's mid-cycle redesign 1629480663817

Imagine a 2-door with decent rear entry/egress and cargo space.

I'd get one...! :like:
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
This is what a JL "LJ" would look like built on a 108-inch wheelbase, about halfway between the current 2-door (96.8) and 4 door (118.4).

Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco features you would like Jeep to incorporate into Wrangler during JL's mid-cycle redesign 1629480663817
I'd buy it! lol

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Make this the 2-door Sahara and retain the short wheelbase for Sport, Willys and Rubicon!
Make a Bikini top version with a Rhino lined rear tub to keep the Two Door Gladiator people happy too.

imperial4ever

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0 Moss Green
Everyone keeps saying "competition is good!", which I agree with for the most part.

Since we've had a chance to virtually see the new Bronco ad-nausea, what...
  1. Features would you want Jeep to INCORPORATE
  2. Features would you want Jeep to AVOID

I will start:

Features to INCORPORATE
  1. I am very impressed with the large 12-inch trail cam. The image is huge and clear
  2. In Bronco 2-door, I like how easy it is to fold forward the front seat to get out. After many years, Jeep still hasn't figured out how to design an front seat release for the 2 door the doesn't break, or doesn't break your fingers!
  3. Honestly, I like the slightly longer wheelbase of the 2-door Bronco. I'd love Jeep to bring back a long-wheelbase 2-door, like it offered for a couple years at the end of TJ's cycle --aka LJ
  4. I don't really care for Wrangler's folding windshield. It is a feature that adds cost and complexity that barely anyone uses any more
Features to AVOID
  1. I hate those frameless windows. Please Jeep...don't even go there!
  2. Bronco 2-door uses a conventional rear seat folding mechanism that leaves the backrest hinges protruding. The Wrangler 2-door rear seat is a masterpiece in simplicity and versatility
  3. Don't get rid of the soundbar in the middle of the vehicle; I love having the speakers right there
  4. I am torn with the modular hardtop. I think it would be cool to remove the rear panels, but I don't want it at the expense of adding rattles and leaks, and diminishing overall top integrity
  5. I don't remove the doors, so the A-pillar mounted mirrors are a non-issue for me. From a design standpoint, I prefer the mirrors where they are, right on the doors
  6. Do NOT replace the cable hand brake with an e-brake
  7. Do NOT replace the 4WD lever with a button; I don't care if the lever takes 100 lbs of force to pull!
  8. Most obvious one: DO NOT REPLACE THE FRONT SOLID AXLE with an IFS!

The guys at Stellantis are right now probably trying to figure out how to respond to Bronco. Let them know what you want and don't want changed on JL!
The long wheel base TJ was called TJL and I highly doubt that they will stretch the 2 door JL since the 2 door is hard to sell to begin with.

Sponsored

imperial4ever

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0 Moss Green
Body mount mirrors
Simplify & upgrade cables connecting door. (Military Grade, Idiot Proof, Bent pin impossibility.)
Modular hardtop minus the "Gunner hatch" with easily removable rear window.
Hardtop with built in hoist hooks attachment points.
Keep removable rear seat as is.
Fix front seat design.
Fixed front windshield.
Don't make 2 door any longer, wider or heavier.
Ditch Uconnect for something more reliable.
Re-design fenders so they don't catch and hold small rocks.

Torque ALL bolts & seat ALL fuses at the factory :angry:
Get the simple things right :angry:
NICE!!!

TriumphJeepster

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Hopefully

Wow. That is what the 2 door SHOULD have been. Just think, a 2 door with more stability and better towing. Between this mock up that will never exist and the JL6 concept, the 2 door purists will be forever pooped on as it's not what the masses are buying.

It's a shame, but trust me I get it. You don't build what doesn't sell. With most vehicles being built on shared global architectures and doing everything they can to keep costs down, it seems more and more likely with each passing year the odds of the 2 door sticking around goes lower and lower.

Here's to dreaming though.

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Wow. That is what the 2 door SHOULD have been. Just think, a 2 door with more stability and better towing. Between this mock up that will never exist and the JL6 concept, the 2 door purists will be forever pooped on as it's not what the masses are buying.

It's a shame, but trust me I get it. You don't build what doesn't sell. With most vehicles being built on shared global architectures and doing everything they can to keep costs down, it seems more and more likely with each passing year the odds of the 2 door sticking around goes lower and lower.

Here's to dreaming though.
I agree.

I would argue, though, that it is in Jeep's best-interest --and Stellantis's at large-- for 2-door Wrangler to remain strong.

There is this 4-door contradiction on the market: on the one hand, anything with 4 doors sells well; Wranglers included. On the other, 4-door vehicles are not seen as "cool" as 2-door vehicles; Wranglers included.

Jeep has long been defined by Wrangler. Not just any Wrangler, but the 2-door Wrangler. It is in great part due to this emotional connection with the 2-door Wrangler, that Jeep is viewed as the "cool" brand it is today. This emotional connection helps sell everything else, including Renegades, Cherokees and now Wagoneers.

However, if the ratio of Wranglers in circulation shifts predominantly towards 4-door Wrangler or, God forbid, Stellantis axes the 2-door altogether, over time Wrangler, and Jeep by extension, will lose their "cool" factor.

In fact, Jeep's best antidote against Bronco's assault is its "coolness." Ford doesn't have it, and they know it; this is the reason they refrain from showing the Ford name as much as they can on the new Bronco.

Keeping the 2-door Wrangler alive and strong is a worthwhile investment that transcends well beyond the quarterly sales --and profits-- reports.

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR

I want this with a 392 in it. Pleez baby!

Sponsored

sardog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler X-Gone, 2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Any deficiencies that I can think of when comparing to the Bronco are being addressed in the XR add-ons with the exception of those being added to the 2 door Rubi. Things I absolutely wouldn't want to see changed to "be like the Bronco" are:

• Mirrors mounted on the doors. If they are mounted on the body, unless they are made to break-away or fold, they run a higher chance of ripping off of the body and doing more damage.
• Take away the folding windshield. It may not be used much but it is distinctive like the grill and the only mainstream vehicle that still has this feature. Plus, some people do use it.
• Increase the size of the screen to become a distraction or make newbies dependent on this instead of learning how to pay more attention to the terrain, plan ahead better, and judge the size of the vehicle more accurately. I'm not a huge fan of the 360 cameras although I understand they have some use. But I believe that many will grow too dependent on them and the larger screen is an extension of that. The Bronco community will be a perfect example of this sort of dependency with these points and the goat modes soon.
• No IFS.
• No power-pivot turning feature. Just more crap to break. I prefer having a better turn radius.
• Don't water down the Rubicon by offering lockers to all trims. Maybe add an option of a rear locker to the Willys but Jeep has it's platform right (Sport/Sahara/Willys/Rubicon), to a large extent. Just get rid of the other editions.
• Don't imitate the goat modes, electronic tranfer case, etc... Keep it as KISS as possible.

Things I think that Jeep could do better would be:

• Offer 33s on lower end models and up to 37s on the Rubicon. The XR is great but could be better on the Rubis.
• A more modular hard top to allow easier removal of parts by one person. Whether this means windows are removable (great) or the top iteslf breaks down into multiple parts. This would probably not be a mid-term refresh but part of the next model.
• Offer half doors with a decent window (no fake cigarrete/vent window) as an option instead of a package.
• Make the soft top able to fold better. That is the biggest reason that I got a hard top.

sardog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler X-Gone, 2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I'd rather see the time and resources put in much better areas than power seats. More plush in the seat cushions would be one of them.
I sat in one not long ago and I don't find the Bronco seats as being that much better than Jeeps nor the amount of room in the front seating area. Also, the bolstering seemed much less and I wouldn't like that on a trail. But it wasn't for that long, about 5 minutes to look around. I just wasn't that impressed.

Kurlon

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4XE Rubicon, maybe?
I've seen people mention avoiding the Bronco 'dig' brake turning feature from fear of adding excess complexity. The functionality is already present on JLs as part of the ABS, you can do manual digs via the Tazer, it's just a software knob.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I sat in one not long ago and I don't find the Bronco seats as being that much better than Jeeps nor the amount of room in the front seating area. Also, the bolstering seemed much less and I wouldn't like that on a trail. But it wasn't for that long, about 5 minutes to look around. I just wasn't that impressed.
I've yet to even see one in person. My wife was originally interested in it, but we're still curious to get a 1st hand look and feel of it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
I've seen people mention avoiding the Bronco 'dig' brake turning feature from fear of adding excess complexity. The functionality is already present on JLs as part of the ABS, you can do manual digs via the Tazer, it's just a software knob.
Yup it’s the technology the brake lock differential uses. It’s actually not really “new” technology as it was available back with the original WK.
Sponsored