Sponsored

Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

FlatSixShooter

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara,997C2, 981S, 750LI, Shelby GTSC, 19VW Jetta and a lot of motorcycles
While salt Is a known “carcinogen” for road going metal, I really don’t think that’s the main issue here. I own 12 vehicles altogether, including two BMWs that are seven and 14 years old, respectively, and a 13-year-old Ford, that have been driven daily through mid western winters with regular exposure to road salt. None of these vehicles, nor any of my wife’s 5 New/leased VW Jetta’s in the last 10 years, have had any surface or other corrosion issues. Modern protective metal techniques, when used properly, have virtually eliminated common rust issues on most cars today.
There is a post above that accurately describes the metal content of the JL wrangler. I too have gone over mine with a magnet, and the only Exterior steel panels I find remaining are around the gas cap, above each of the rear fender wells. Simply put, this is an issue of bi-metal galvanic corrosion, caused by aluminum skins being connected To, but not properly isolated from, a steel Passenger cage & chassis. Also, while the hinges are aluminum, steel bolts are also being used To connect the hinge components. Keep in mind that with a negative ground vehicle, stray current can also be running through the metallic chassis and body at all times. I understand this too, can further accelerate electron movement between metals of different types, which is the basic theory of galvanic corrosion.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Firecracker Red with issues. Not just metallic colors with the bubbling.

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS
Just talked to the body shop, they went ahead and ordered new hinges. He said trying to refinish the old ones would cause the problem to come back again. He said all four doors have been stripped, corrosion removed, all the inner seams 'fixed' and its all primered- on all fours doors and the hood. Once the hinges come in, they'll paint it all and get it back to me.

Its already been a week, but it sounds like they're doing a great job,...i hope!

Sponsored

JLJeepGuy513

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, 2016 Pathfinder
Occupation
Civil Engineering Designer
I went to Cape Coral Jeep 3 weeks ago before my 36000 mile service. I started the process to get the hinges fixed. Both doors and hood hinge. The service tech sent me to an independent collision shop. Never heard back. I called today only to find out the tech doesn’t work there anymore and when I talked to the service manager he “looked up” the file and said FCA rejected the claim. I have a feeling it was never sent to FCA.
Who was the tech? I'm still waiting for them to schedule me back in to fix this. I also just noticed that i have a door leak now from a large door gap due to the poor door alignment. You're better off going somewhere else to get this fixed.

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
I have a 2019 Mojito and four of the eight door hinges are showing signs of bubbling and found the bottom of the drivers door bottom is real bad. I have 15k miles and Im in Colorado where we are having some of the worst drought conditions on record.

IMG_0033.jpg
Whoa..... Its such a shame cause Mojito is the best color for these Jeeps. I have small bubbling, no where near this bad. I would be so beside myself.

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
Whoa..... Its such a shame cause Mojito is the best color for these Jeeps. I have small bubbling, no where near this bad. I would be so beside myself.
It's all in the paint preparation . If a surface is not properly cleaned of contaminants it's going to bubble no matter where it's at .

UtahRubi

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
My dealer said they are doing about 4 a week and all were caused by poor paint preparation. I just got mine back and it looks good so far. However, the gap from hood to cowl on the passenger side is slightly larger than on the drivers side. It needs to be realigned.

EvanH84

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
I got the ball rolling on mine today. I have a bubbling hood seem, bubbling on front right door, bubbling on back rear door, paint cracking and bubbling on rear fender flare, and paint dimpling on all four flares.

I might have to go back to the dealer on a sunny day to get better images of the dimples on the flares..

jbal13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Who was the tech? I'm still waiting for them to schedule me back in to fix this. I also just noticed that i have a door leak now from a large door gap due to the poor door alignment. You're better off going somewhere else to get this fixed.
Charles Santana was the tech. I’m going to contact FCA direct. See if a claim was even submitted. Something just doesn’t feel right.
Sponsored