Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I ignore the complaining for the most part, or laugh to myself about it. To your point, it's a solid axle, body on frame vehicle, and handles like it. I frequently encourage friends and family NOT to get a Wrangler unless the removable top/doors truly outweigh all the off-road capability related "quirks."

Many of these people would be better off with a Grand Cherokee or something similar, but I think many of them go for the the Wrangler because it's the iconic "Jeep." When you say to someone, "I drive a Jeep," I would be shocked if something other than a Wrangler came to their mind.

I've even heard the following dialogue multiple times:

A: "What do you drive?
B: "A Jeep."
A: "Awesome! A Wrangler?"
B: "Nope, a (insert other Jeep brand vehicle)"
A: "Oh... those are cool/nice too."

It's a lot more fun to have the vehicle people are often excited about.

Also, I frequently horrify those who don't take their vehicles off road with pictures and videos of how I used my Jeep from the moment I took it home. Definitely one of my favorite hobbies. 🤣
Sponsored

Terrymo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURXR 3.6 ET
Clubs

Hi, I'm Dusty. And I am a condescending jerk. Just wanted to get that out of the way before I continue. This post is my opinion, not a statement of fact. And I know that a lot of people are going to disagree with me. I'm okay with that.

If you bought a Wrangler and you do not go off road, you bought the wrong vehicle. There are so many posts here, with owners complaining about things that are just inherent to how a Wrangler is constructed. "My Jeep rides worse than ____, my gas mileage is bad after lift and tires (duh), it's noisy inside, my steering is funny, etc, etc..."

Not all of these posts are uncalled for, but some of the people have a rather unreasonable expectation. And some wish for Jeep to change the Wrangler to be more in line to what they are expecting. That's where I don't agree with folks. Several times people have expressed the wish for the Wrangler to have IFS, fixed windshields, even a fixed top. If that's what you want, those vehicles already exist. There are other options from most manufacturers that fit those categories. But there is only one vehicle like the Wrangler. The "quirks and features" to quote Doug Demuro from YouTube are what makes the Wrangler unique and desirable. It's the only SUV still available with a solid axle. It's the only one that has a folding windshield. One of only 2 that has a removable top. The body on frame construction makes it heavy, but rugged. The recirculating ball steering has a heavy feel and combined with the sfa can have rough handling and steering problems compared to IFS. But it's much stronger and easier to modify for improved performance off road. The problems that most people complain about, are part and parcel with the attributes that make the Wrangler such a desirable vehicle to people who want to use their Jeep off road on the trails. But it makes it a bad choice for a daily commute vehicle if you don't intend to ever go wheeling. Especially if you have modified it for larger tires to look cool, but did not consider how that would impact the daily drive.

Rant over. Again, this is just words from a judgmental prick. Feel free to completely ignore me. But maybe, just maybe after reading this you will think about what I wrote and if there is a kernel of truth to it.
I read your first and last paragraph just like I learned in my online Evelyn Wood Speed Reading Course. Did I miss anything?

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hi, I'm Dusty. And I am a condescending jerk. Just wanted to get that out of the way before I continue. This post is my opinion, not a statement of fact. And I know that a lot of people are going to disagree with me. I'm okay with that.

If you bought a Wrangler and you do not go off road, you bought the wrong vehicle. There are so many posts here, with owners complaining about things that are just inherent to how a Wrangler is constructed. "My Jeep rides worse than ____, my gas mileage is bad after lift and tires (duh), it's noisy inside, my steering is funny, etc, etc..."

Not all of these posts are uncalled for, but some of the people have a rather unreasonable expectation. And some wish for Jeep to change the Wrangler to be more in line to what they are expecting. That's where I don't agree with folks. Several times people have expressed the wish for the Wrangler to have IFS, fixed windshields, even a fixed top. If that's what you want, those vehicles already exist. There are other options from most manufacturers that fit those categories. But there is only one vehicle like the Wrangler. The "quirks and features" to quote Doug Demuro from YouTube are what makes the Wrangler unique and desirable. It's the only SUV still available with a solid axle. It's the only one that has a folding windshield. One of only 2 that has a removable top. The body on frame construction makes it heavy, but rugged. The recirculating ball steering has a heavy feel and combined with the sfa can have rough handling and steering problems compared to IFS. But it's much stronger and easier to modify for improved performance off road. The problems that most people complain about, are part and parcel with the attributes that make the Wrangler such a desirable vehicle to people who want to use their Jeep off road on the trails. But it makes it a bad choice for a daily commute vehicle if you don't intend to ever go wheeling. Especially if you have modified it for larger tires to look cool, but did not consider how that would impact the daily drive.

Rant over. Again, this is just words from a judgmental prick. Feel free to completely ignore me. But maybe, just maybe after reading this you will think about what I wrote and if there is a kernel of truth to it.
I bet that felt good to let out……😂

Sponsored

Mudduck

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4door
I don’t go off road near as much as id like to. That coupled with the fact my Jeeps keep getting broken into or stolen in Texas and Michigan, has led me to trade out for a New forester Wilderness. I’ll buy a new Wrangler when I retire in 5/6 years And I have the time to sit up at night in tree stand with my crossbow.

For now I still have the Sammy to finish up (short wheel base problems) for off roading and 2 Subarus that are more than capable of getting groceries.

It sucks, I’ll miss it…. A lot, but its not getting used how I planned or how it was designed.

yokramer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLR, '13 Juke Nismo, '88 10th Anny RX7
I ignore the complaining for the most part, or laugh to myself about it. To your point, it's a solid axle, body on frame vehicle, and handles like it. I frequently encourage friends and family NOT to get a Wrangler unless the removable top/doors truly outweigh all the off-road capability related "quirks."

Many of these people would be better off with a Grand Cherokee or something similar, but I think many of them go for the the Wrangler because it's the iconic "Jeep." When you say to someone, "I drive a Jeep," I would be shocked if something other than a Wrangler came to their mind.

I've even heard the following dialogue multiple times:

A: "What do you drive?
B: "A Jeep."
A: "Awesome! A Wrangler?"
B: "Nope, a (insert other Jeep brand vehicle)"
A: "Oh... those are cool/nice too."

It's a lot more fun to have the vehicle people are often excited about.

Also, I frequently horrify those who don't take their vehicles off road with pictures and videos of how I used my Jeep from the moment I took it home. Definitely one of my favorite hobbies. 🤣
Jeep Wrangler JL You bought the wrong vehicle. 1715793606419-qf

The Chubbernaut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys
Occupation
Substance Abuse Counselor
Clubs

This sentiment is ignorant. I don't take my Jeep off-road. I intend to one day, but I don't have the funds to buy a $40,000 vehicle, then turn around and add another $10,000 in aftermarket parts to ensure that it'll survive the journey with some modicum of comfort. One day I'll reach that magical point, and hopefully I'll have the time to take a week to drive somewhere to play in some rocks. When you get down to it, unless you live next to a trail head, most people don't off-road their Jeep enough to justify the expense of one. The money makes a much better down payment for a house, which is going to give you far more return on your investment in the long run. Given that some asshat wrecked my last Jeep because she couldn't see a stoplight through her phone, I'm even more hesitant about the idea of adding all those aftermarket parts. Since I'm ranting, let me take a moment to point out that you don't need a 392, 40" tires with a 6" lift to be able to off-road. These additions are just as much of an ostentatious affectation as the angry grilles and overabundance of cube lights y'all mock other people for having. Or the twenty American flags, Punisher skulls, or American flag Punisher skulls I mock y'all for having. It's all for the sake of vanity and personality, which you can't really fault people for.

Beyond my love for the brand, my intention for buying a Jeep is to have the capability to extract myself or others from bad conditions and situations when they come up. This is probably true for most of the 'mallcrawling' crowd.

I don't believe I've ever heard of someone buying a Jeep and complaining about ride quality. I think this is a myth Jeep owners tell themselves to feel like they are somehow more special and rugged. Truth is, the JL model doesn't really feel any different to drive than any other vehicle out there. It's definitely the first Jeep I've had that I could take up to 90 MPH and not have my ass pucker tighter than a frog's. The problem comes when people mess with the suspension without knowing what they are doing; whether that's someone deciding a Youtube video is all they need for a DIY project, or they take it to a twenty-something mechanic who watched the same video. The quality of aftermarket parts also vary wildly, with some kits offering different ride characteristics, even within the same brand. Or, horror of horrors, buy a pre-modded Jeep to save time and money. This is where most people become dissatisfied with the ride quality.

What people do complain about is the quality of Jeeps that come from the factory. Most complaints are about leaking gaskets, shocks, UConnects that don't work or show ads, engine or battery failure at 30k, and a whole plethora of other issues that arise due to poor quality control. These are absolutely reasonable and should be entertained, not dismissed.

The Chubbernaut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys
Occupation
Substance Abuse Counselor
Clubs

Jeep people tend to forget that there’s another HUGE reason people buy Wranglers: it was the only way to get a 4dr convertible or even a relatively affordable convertible that can comfortably haul 4 people + luggage (until Bronco came out). This appeals to A LOT of people, and not all of these people want to deal with Jeep Things to have that experience. I sorta get that.

BTW, I’ve had Jeeps for a long time and I’ve folded my windshield exactly once, just to see how it worked. I wouldn’t care at all if they nuked that feature. But doors off, all the time.
It was neat on the CJs.

Sponsored

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
Maybe i'm looking at the wrong threads...but I don't see much complaining about the poor ride quality or the "very Jeep" attributes of the Jeep. In other words, I don't feel like most complainers are complaining because the Jeep is a Jeep. What I see, and wholly agree with, is complaining that the Jeep is priced like a Mercedes Benz. This situation creates a whole host of issues that don't need to exist, and end up being complained about.

And that my friend, is why there's so much complaining on this forum.

yokramer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLR, '13 Juke Nismo, '88 10th Anny RX7
This sentiment is ignorant. I don't take my Jeep off-road. I intend to one day, but I don't have the funds to buy a $40,000 vehicle, then turn around and add another $10,000 in aftermarket parts to ensure that it'll survive the journey with some modicum of comfort.

[sic]

Since I'm ranting, let me take a moment to point out that you don't need a 392, 40" tires with a 6" lift to be able to off-road. These additions are just as much of an ostentatious affectation as the angry grilles and overabundance of cube lights y'all mock other people for having. Or the twenty American flags, Punisher skulls, or American flag Punisher skulls I mock y'all for having. It's all for the sake of vanity and personality, which you can't really fault people for.

Beyond my love for the brand, my intention for buying a Jeep is to have the capability to extract myself or others from bad conditions and situations when they come up. This is probably true for most of the 'mallcrawling' crowd.

Say you dont have money to mod the jeep to be able to off road then say you dont need to spend money to be able to off road? Which is it homie.

drpericak

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Earl JLU Rubicon
Occupation
dentist
OP, you are 100% right with part of your statement. It's your opinion and not fact. I don't off road. Not because I don't want to. I just don't have trails nearby. I bought my Jeep because it's a convertible, I can taken the doors off, and mostly because I can have it with a manual transmission. Good thing your opinion doesn't matter to anyone.

Terrymo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURXR 3.6 ET
Clubs

This sentiment is ignorant. I don't take my Jeep off-road. I intend to one day, but I don't have the funds to buy a $40,000 vehicle, then turn around and add another $10,000 in aftermarket parts to ensure that it'll survive the journey with some modicum of comfort. One day I'll reach that magical point, and hopefully I'll have the time to take a week to drive somewhere to play in some rocks. When you get down to it, unless you live next to a trail head, most people don't off-road their Jeep enough to justify the expense of one. The money makes a much better down payment for a house, which is going to give you far more return on your investment in the long run. Given that some asshat wrecked my last Jeep because she couldn't see a stoplight through her phone, I'm even more hesitant about the idea of adding all those aftermarket parts. Since I'm ranting, let me take a moment to point out that you don't need a 392, 40" tires with a 6" lift to be able to off-road. These additions are just as much of an ostentatious affectation as the angry grilles and overabundance of cube lights y'all mock other people for having. Or the twenty American flags, Punisher skulls, or American flag Punisher skulls I mock y'all for having. It's all for the sake of vanity and personality, which you can't really fault people for.

I don't believe I've ever heard of someone buying a Jeep and complaining about ride quality. I think this is a myth Jeep owners tell themselves to feel like they are somehow more special and rugged. Truth is, the JL model doesn't really feel any different to drive than any other vehicle out there. It's definitely the first Jeep I've had that I could take up to 90 MPH and not have my ass pucker tighter than a frog's. The problem comes when people mess with the suspension without knowing what they are doing; whether that's someone deciding a Youtube video is all they need for a DIY project, or they take it to a twenty-something mechanic who watched the same video. The quality of aftermarket parts also vary wildly, with some kits offering different ride characteristics, even within the same brand. Or, horror of horrors, buy a pre-modded Jeep to save time and money. This is where most people become dissatisfied with the ride quality.

What people do complain about is the quality of Jeeps that come from the factory. Most complaints are about leaking gaskets, shocks, UConnects that don't work or show ads, engine or battery failure at 30k, and a whole plethora of other issues that arise due to poor quality control. These are absolutely reasonable and should be entertained, not dismissed.
‘Merica!
Jeep Wrangler JL You bought the wrong vehicle. IMG_4746
Sponsored