Wrangler in the winter?

iamstillvince

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler sport s
Like all others have said, Jeeps' have historically had amazing heaters. This continues with the JL's. You won't be disappointed. Definitely recommend getting one with thermostat climate control, and the cold weather package (remote start, heated seats, heated steering wheel). Very nice in winter!

One thing I haven't seen others mention. You said you're getting a Sahara, which comes with street tires. Good! If you plan to upgrade to either mud or all-terrain tires, I would keep around those factory tires for winter. Both MT & AT tires look cool and are great offroad, but they really suck in ice and dryer snow. (they're okay in wet snow, but then again most tires are)
I ran my all seasons on everything until 2 years ago, had a renegade and added geolander at, was way better than all season. I'm in Alberta canada so real winter hits hard.
On that note, about to test the ko2 with 40cm of fresh snow about to fall. Just bought a sport s with mopar lift and 33 ko2.
Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
With ko2 37s I don’t even put it in 4wd.

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I ran my all seasons on everything until 2 years ago, had a renegade and added geolander at, was way better than all season. I'm in Alberta canada so real winter hits hard.
On that note, about to test the ko2 with 40cm of fresh snow about to fall. Just bought a sport s with mopar lift and 33 ko2.
I think you'll be pleased with the KO2s in snow.

iamstillvince

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler sport s
Well my ko2 seemed to be ok but the wipers were not. Big blizzard storm today went for a drive to see how it handles snow, had to get out twice to clear wipers and barely drove anywhere, not sure of factory blades are crap for winter and I need to buy a better set or it's just the flat windshield.

2020_11_08_15_18_18_1_driveway_3.jpg

Sponsored

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Sahara is a great choice as it has the Limited Slip Diff option (best for snow) whereas the Rubicons with Lockers not so much. I know Rubi owners with kick and scream about that statement but LSD beats Lockers all say long in most snow driving.
I am a rubicon owner and this is true. With the Tazer JL I can lock my lockers in 4 hi, so....

OP
OP

KDX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
Well my ko2 seemed to be ok but the wipers were not. Big blizzard storm today went for a drive to see how it handles snow, had to get out twice to clear wipers and barely drove anywhere, not sure of factory blades are crap for winter and I need to buy a better set or it's just the flat windshield.

Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler in the winter? 2020_11_08_15_18_18_1_driveway_3
I think it's the windshield and the defrost vents from what I've been reading.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T

2020_11_08_15_18_18_1_driveway_3.jpg
Are winter blades locally available? They're usually shrouded in a thin & flexible rubber. This design does serve to mitigate snow & ice buildup which would adversely affect the wipers' performance.

Yes also to the known issue with the airflow through the JL's defrost vents.

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
I've run KO2s on everything I own for quite a while, and they have done really well in Iowa snow. If I ever wear out the factory Bridgestone ATs I'll get KO2s for this jeep too.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just drive my daily beater in the snow. It’s got studded Hakkas

821E810F-5CCC-4DD9-9FAD-6872B72E3F9A.jpeg

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler in the winter? 821E810F-5CCC-4DD9-9FAD-6872B72E3F9A
TFL posted a video last week complaining about the crummy windshield defroster on their JT.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
I am a rubicon owner and this is true. With the Tazer JL I can lock my lockers in 4 hi, so....

The problem with Rubicon Lockers in snow is when one tire brakes they both break free resulting in loss of traction on both sides whereas the LSD on the Sahara the LSD is intermitent as needed when one brakes free the other comes in to offset traction loss and regain balanced traction. Also turning on snow and ice with Lockers engaged is problematic as well and will encourage slipping. $h or 4L does not changes the functionality of lockers. Again I have Eaton Lockers on the front of my Sahara with LSD rear, I have more traction issues with the Lockers engaged whereas they actually become a safety issue compared to Rear LSD and fronts no engaged.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have yet to have any issues whatsoever in any amount of snow. Rubicon or not. The TC that comes standard on all models is quite capable. I’m sure the LSD is just fine as is the Rubicon.

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
The problem with Rubicon Lockers in snow is when one tire brakes they both break free resulting in loss of traction on both sides whereas the LSD on the Sahara the LSD is intermitent as needed when one brakes free the other comes in to offset traction loss and regain balanced traction. Also turning on snow and ice with Lockers engaged is problematic as well and will encourage slipping. $h or 4L does not changes the functionality of lockers. Again I have Eaton Lockers on the front of my Sahara with LSD rear, I have more traction issues with the Lockers engaged whereas they actually become a safety issue compared to Rear LSD and fronts no engaged.
Something you have to keep in mind is that all wranglers, JK & JL have the brake lock differential (they really call it that) that kills power if you have a wheel slipping.

See explanation here.

https://blog.fcanorthamerica.com/2008/02/11/jeep-brake-traction-control-explained/

On my 2016 JK sport it was noticeable in the mud, not so much snow. You are right, the limited slip works just fine, as does the locker but with the locker the wheel does not slip and cause the brake to try to transfer power and bog down the engine.

JayD1056

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, 1995 Pontiac TransAm, 2019 Mini Cooper
Something you have to keep in mind is that all wranglers, JK & JL have the brake lock differential (they really call it that) that kills power if you have a wheel slipping.

See explanation here.

https://blog.fcanorthamerica.com/2008/02/11/jeep-brake-traction-control-explained/

On my 2016 JK sport it was noticeable in the mud, not so much snow. You are right, the limited slip works just fine, as does the locker but with the locker the wheel does not slip and cause the brake to try to transfer power and bog down the engine.
So brake lock differential doesn’t technically kill power to manage slip. BLD’s job is to transfer Torque from the wheel in slip to the wheel with traction. So brake torque is applied via the ABS/ESC module to the wheel in slip. So this feature works most obviously when you are on split mu, like one wheel on pavement and one wheel in dirt, ice, or rock crawling and it’s in the air.

Traction controls job is to manage to wheel slip when accelerating and if the wheels are over spinning too much relative to the current velocity then engine torque will be cut. This threshold is something like 5-15% depending on calibration and the situation that’s detected. For example if you are moving at 10 mph and the max allowed wheel speed could be something like 11mph or 15 etc. any more than that TCS will limit engine torque and then manage individual wheel traction by brake application.

the JL TCS system is greatly improved over the JK, but it’s still a reaction system. It can’t see or know what the road condition is/know the friction between the tires and the road surface until the system is in some slip.
Sponsored