Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
So maybe, as a Dual Top Owner....

which means, I say matter of factly, that I have the Premium soft top, as opposed to the basic--whatever benefit that amounts to in the winter...

that I may try this downstate NY winter with the soft top....

(Downstate NY winter: usually a handful of accumulating snows: if the last 20 years is any indication.)

So, what's the worst part of the premium soft top in the winter? e.g. no rear wiper or defroster, harder to clear the snow above?

Thanks
Sponsored

Mud-N-Sun

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 2 door Sport TJ 2018 JLU Sport-S
So maybe, as a Dual Top Owner....

which means, I say matter of factly, that I have the Premium soft top, as opposed to the basic--whatever benefit that amounts to in the winter...

that I may try this downstate NY winter with the soft top....

(Downstate NY winter: usually a handful of accumulating snows: if the last 20 years is any indication.)

So, what's the worst part of the premium soft top in the winter? e.g. no rear wiper or defroster, harder to clear the snow above?

Thanks
So I have been a softtop only guy for years so I can't speak to the benefits of the hard top. I find that I like the softtop in the winter for the most part. The softtop being black heats up in any kind of sun and generally makes the inside of the jeep warmer than the outside when you first get in...as long as the sun is out anyway. I spent some time in upstate New York and I did run into some problems with a softtop. When it is cold and you are clearing the snow off be very careful of the window as you can easily scratch them with snow removal scrappers. Especially if you have an ice storm, but usually once the Jeep warms this comes off easily and it is kinda fun to hit the top from the inside while going down the road and seeing snow and ice fly off. Just be aware of cars behind you. Now the second danger of the soft top in winter comes when it is super cold out. Basically anything below zero that last for days. The soft top windows can become brittle in extreme cold conditions and can shatter (basically the windows cracks open all accross the plastic) when you are messing with them. I had this happen. Best advice on those days is to just let the jeep warm up a bit especially early in the morning. 10 years of winters in a soft top...one shattered soft top window and a few scratches and both because I was being lazy or stupid...I am still rocking a soft top for this winter...good luck just a few words of caution.

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
I appreciate the insights Nathan.:)