Wrangler in the winter?

MLS_AZ

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I have a 2019 JLUR with the I4 Turbo. It has heated seats/steering wheel. They work well and, along with the heater, keep it warm and comfortable inside.

As far as driving in the rain/snow/ice hear in Northern AZ, it has not been an issue. Just use the right drivetrain options it has and watch your speed/braking. Jeeps handle very well.

I'd get your ride and not worry a bit!! Rock on!!

First Name
Birgit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited; 2016 Jeep Wrangler Sport
I live in mammoth , CA so -40 isn't going to happen, but we get plenty of 0 degree days and the occasional -10. I do not have a garage so the worst part is getting in the jeep to start it. My Rubicon is a manual so though I have the heated seats and steering wheel I can't auto start from in the house. That said...once I turn her on she heats up quick and is very comfortable. I wouldn't trade her for the world.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Sahara is a great choice as it has the Limited Slip Diff option (best for snow) whereas the Rubicons with Lockers not so much. I know Rubi owners with kick and scream about that statement but LSD beats Lockers all say long in most snow driving.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Sahara is a great choice as it has the Limited Slip Diff option (best for snow) whereas the Rubicons with Lockers not so much. I know Rubi owners with kick and scream about that statement but LSD beats Lockers all say long in most snow driving.
Indeed. Lockers work great if you are doing a snow run in 2+ feet of snow.

For every other situation, a rear LSD just works better in snow.

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Indeed. Lockers work great if you are doing a snow run in 2+ feet of snow.

For every other situation, a rear LSD just works better in snow.

I have the LSD rear on my Sahara as well I installed the Eaton Lockers on the front I can take on and out perform most Stockish Rubicons in most if not all snow situations. I do a lot of snow wheeling and built this rig around that. However the main difference in any snow is drivers judgment and skill.

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
I've had several wranglers in the winter - Love em all, but again, the driver is the big thing here.

cmcclintock

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
2018 JLU heater is great. Extreme Heat Available if needed. I also have the heated steering wheel & seats. I have my hard top off in mid March to mid Nov.. never cold.. but I am in central CA. The only reason I put the hard top on mid Nov to mid March is for the rainy season.

Whisky19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, JEEP!!!!!!!
I live in VT and the heat in my ‘20 Rubi JL is ridiculous. I’ve owned several Wranglers and heat was NEVER an issue. In fact, with the cold weather package the heated steering wheel is nearly untouchable at times. Once the snow hits I’m i. 4 wheel H most of the time and as you could guess.. the jeep is nearly unstoppable in the worst of snow
conditions.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

heated steering wheel … that made the biggest difference to me
Seriously. I used to mock people who had heated steering, then my KL came with it, and it was a revelation. I made damn sure the JL had the cold weather package.

Sponsored

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
I was wondering what the Wrangler is like in the winter when it gets to the -20 to -40 stage. I'm looking at purchasing one and would be commuting on the highway approx 80kms per day. I would be buying the turbo 4 cylinder version in the Sahara Unlimited Altitude trim. It would be in a heated garage at home and plugged in at work so starting is not an issue, I'm wondering is it's a cold vehicle to ride in on the highway.
My JK Rubicon did well in the winter. No issues.
I will have my 2021 JLUR diesel hard top in about 2 more weeks. It has the cold weather package including heated seats, heated steering wheel, dual zone climate control and an engine block heater. I expect it will be comfortable in the winter.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
...the main difference in any snow is drivers judgment and skill.
So true.

During and just after college, I owned a 5-speed VW Golf. With proper winter radials up front, and some common sense to leaven my enthusiasm, I was able to drive through some serious western PA lake-effect snowstorms without injuring myself or the vehicle.

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I have to disagree with this statement. Vehemently disagree.

Even Rubicon owners know damn well LSD is better than lockers in all but the deepest, heaviest snows - anything you'd find on road. We ain't kicking and screaming about that.

azhunt

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram 1500 and a 2019 JL, two door, manual 6 speed, mojito green
I was wondering what the Wrangler is like in the winter when it gets to the -20 to -40 stage. I'm looking at purchasing one and would be commuting on the highway approx 80kms per day. I would be buying the turbo 4 cylinder version in the Sahara Unlimited Altitude trim. It would be in a heated garage at home and plugged in at work so starting is not an issue, I'm wondering is it's a cold vehicle to ride in on the highway.
Hey,
I have a hardtop 2 door 2019 Wrangler Rubicon and we live in far northern Minnesota She is my daily driver and though it gets cold inside the Jeep, so does my wife's luxury RAM. My Jeep is a Pentastar V-6 with a manual transmission and maybe that take a minute more to heat up but it heats up just fine in the winter. I recommend the cold weather package, heated seats and steering wheel. 25,000 miles in and i love it.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

So true.

During and just after college, I owned a 5-speed VW Golf. With proper winter radials up front, and some common sense to leaven my enthusiasm, I was able to drive through some serious western PA lake-effect snowstorms without injuring myself or the vehicle.
My ‘98 neon was unstoppable in snow. One of the best snow driving cars I’ve owned. Fun little thing to throw around in any season.
Sponsored