Wrangler in the winter?

Sooley6

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
I just went back to Sport S stock size with Hakkapeliita LT3’s studded on 17s. I live in east Alberta and it’s icy packed roads everywhere already... Couldn’t be happier. Id take traction and handling over looks any day. Versatility is really what Jeeps used to all about (and I’m actually really digging the look too)

9A485596-422B-4F08-9E0E-C15558801F14.jpeg
Sponsored

JeepFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport 2-door
So brake lock differential doesn’t technically kill power to manage slip. BLD’s job is to transfer Torque from the wheel in slip to the wheel with traction. So brake torque is applied via the ABS/ESC module to the wheel in slip. So this feature works most obviously when you are on split mu, like one wheel on pavement and one wheel in dirt, ice, or rock crawling and it’s in the air.
Does BLD also work on the front axle when you are in 4 wheel drive mode?

Last edited:

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2020 Rubicon and a range rover sport
Heat comes out of vents within 1 minute of start up on jeep.
RR takes over 10 minutes to turn luke warm..

I dont understand how jeep does it..there must be electrical elements in set up..
YES..Jeep gets toasty ..Fast!
Excellent point Michael. I’m amazed when I start my Jeep the temperature gauge starts to climb before the idle kicks down to normal.
My work truck (Isuzu diesel) is completely opposite. In winter I have to drive a couple of miles before the gauge starts to rise.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Don't have my Jeep yet as it's on order but been doing a lot of research to prepare myself. I also spent time wondering how these will be in the winter as I'm around Buffalo, NY and we get hammered pretty good.

I opted for a hard top just to be safe with winter temps. Maybe will get a soft top down the line.

I think you'll be fine by all accounts though.

Have heard about some defrost issues with some Wranglers. Not sure if it's certain trims or what but have seen many complaining about Rubicon's defrost patterns only doing the middle of the windshield. Can't speak to it myself yet but there are fixes out there if it's an issue.

I'm expecting this vehicle to do pretty well in winter though and it's one reason I'm getting it. Tired of spinning my tires in my driveway and worried about making it through a few inches of snow to get to work on snowy mornings. Hopefully this vehicle solves those issues :)
TT, if it’s not too late, in your budget and you have somewhere to store the hard top. Consider the duel top option. You’ll love driving around the countryside with that Jeep open. When I ordered my first Jeep, the open top was secondary to me.
Top open/doors off quickly become the most awesome Spring/Summer driving experience ever. Which is why I’m a Jeeper for life.
P.S. plenty of heat and as long as the snow isn’t higher than the undercarriage you’ll get to work every day.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

Does BLD also work on the front axle when you are in 4 wheel drive mode?
BLD is active on all four wheels in any drive mode. It is not traction control (which cuts power to try to avoid wheel spin).

Sponsored

JayD1056

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, 1995 Pontiac TransAm, 2019 Mini Cooper
BLD is active on all four wheels in any drive mode. It is not traction control (which cuts power to try to avoid wheel spin).
So BrakeLockDiffeerential, it’s job is if a wheel is slipping is to lock that wheel to transfer torque to the other wheel that has traction

If you are not in 4WD then it’s not possible to have torque to transfer to the other wheel.
BLD will be active in all 4WD modes.

there are of course features in ABS system that when user is breaking what do you have to do to keep the vehicle stable and from yawing in the wrong direction but this isn’t what is referred to as BLD.

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
Picture below was from the Polar Vortex in 2019, Jeep never missed a beat. As others have said Cold Weather pack. But I almost never run the seat heaters and wheel, too hot; what I do is remote start the Jeep, they automatically kick on, get it toasty warm, then I get in and turn them off and enjoy the warm seats and wheel.

other thing I’d recommend is the trailer pack; has an upgraded battery and electrical system, also gives some peace of mine for cold starting etc.

Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler in the winter? 103DFA0D-A5EA-4B90-BB64-7D5D73224508

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I was wondering what the Wrangler is like in the winter when it gets to the -20 to -40 stage. I'm looking at purchasing one and would be commuting on the highway approx 80kms per day. I would be buying the turbo 4 cylinder version in the Sahara Unlimited Altitude trim. It would be in a heated garage at home and plugged in at work so starting is not an issue, I'm wondering is it's a cold vehicle to ride in on the highway.
Plug what in? You did say "turbo 4 cylinder version" not the new Hybrid correct?

Sponsored

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

Jeeps also do really well in hot temps:

Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler in the winter? A62F7B4B-4788-485D-A8B4-24469A946DF3

Note: not my jeep.
and I thought the sustained 50c in Chicago I was driving in was insane.

dezeinstein

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi TTRS, 2020 JLUR Sahara Altitude
Indeed. Lockers work great if you are doing a snow run in 2+ feet of snow.

For every other situation, a rear LSD just works better in snow.
So, here’s maybe dumb question from someone who just moved from SoCal to Oregon and hasn’t driven in snow much, save for a few ski trips.
We have a JLUR Sahara with Select-Trac. Better to keep it in Auto 4H or shift into manual 4H in the snow?

JayD1056

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, 1995 Pontiac TransAm, 2019 Mini Cooper
So, here’s maybe dumb question from someone who just moved from SoCal to Oregon and hasn’t driven in snow much, save for a few ski trips.
We have a JLUR Sahara with Select-Trac. Better to keep it in Auto 4H or shift into manual 4H in the snow?
For me if you can see pavement then 4HA. If you can’t and the road is covered in snow then 4H it is.
That being said it’s possible the road is iced over and you will want 4H.

don’t forget a good set of winter tires is also very valuable.
Sponsored