Putting the JLU back in "Winter Mode"

CherryWrangler

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Altitude
Lol they were. We were supposed to be Winter 2020 in India. Now its looking like Winter 2021.
Kidddaaan. Welcome to the forum. I still havent removed my hard top in the name of covid. But going to try this week before the summer is over.

Thar is lit. Did you see the new thar?
Sponsored

WiseguyDS

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I heard GA, FL, Gulf Coast States, TX, NM, AZ and SoCal during the winter is a great way to winterize a vehicle in the USA. Welcome to the forum!

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I am a first time Jeep Owner and got me a Brand New JLUR in Feb 2020. Had the Dual Top Group which allowed me to swap tops in June. The Jeep is very important to me as it is the first time item my Fiancée and I bought together. Me and her were planning on going back to India for the Winter months for business reasons but then COVID happened and we are unable to leave the US. Originally we were just going to leave the Jeep parked in our Garage with the soft top and give the keys to my uncle. Myself, her and one of our common friends has time either this weekend or next weekend to get the Jeep "winterized" now that we are approaching end of the Summer and it looks like COVID will prevent us from returning to India for the Winter. Need some recommendations as to how we should consider "winterizing" the Jeep in Long Island as she puts it. I have a 2012 Mahindra Thar in India that does not need to be "Winterized" as North Indian winters are probably as cold as the winters in Mississippi or Alabama or South Carolina in the US (unless you live in the Himalayan states). Here is what I had so far. Will be very thankful if someone offers their honest opinion and adds or removes things:

1. Install the Hard Top as Soft Top in winters in the NYC area may create problems for us in the Snow. Reading the forums, It seems that the Windows in a Soft Top are prone to cracking in the extreme cold or in Snow if we try to scrape the windows off. I will remember to not scrape them but am confident my lady or my Uncle will forget. So I was thinking about putting the Hard Top back on. Also heard that Snow Salt wreaks havoc on the Premium Soft Top fabric long term.

2. Remove all doors and put in some sort of Grease to prevent long term corrosion. We were operating Doorless very frequently in the summer. I wanted to grease the two outside Window Hinges, the inside hinge and all three screws as well per door. Can someone recommend a good grease to use?

3. Spray the Undercarriage with Rustoleum or something similar to fight long term corrosion.

3. And of course top off all the fluids (coolant, windshield washer).

Please don't eat me. This is my first thread.
I don't think I can take another winter here in NY. I say this every year though. My doors have been off since May and I am not looking forward to having them back on. Hopefully, this cooler weather we are seeing here now is just a stint, and we still have some 90 degree weather left.

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
One more thing:

did I mention to stop worrying about stuff (I’m guessing that you are and engineer)...... take your fiancé by the hand And Take her to your Jeep. Drive to the loveliest Road you can find in NYC and instead of rustoleuming your Jeep, use that time to have a picnic with your future bride. She could care less about spray paint. She wants to ride in that jeep with you to that park. bring a picnic basket and a blanket to keep her warm. Winter is coming. Enjoy.
I'd recommend Seven Lakes Drive for that, one beautiful road.

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Kidddaaan. Welcome to the forum. I still havent removed my hard top in the name of covid. But going to try this week before the summer is over.

Worse part of having your top off around here is people walk right up to your door and want to talk to you about your Jeep *with no mask*, happens to me at least 3 times a week. If I'm not rolling through a back road, my mask is on don't car if I look like a idiot.

Sponsored

aprez27

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I live on LI as well. 3rd Jeep in the last 15 years. I usually change my tops in October, usually right before Halloween. As far as anything else, just make sure your fluid levels are where they should be. Enjoy driving in the snow, if we get any.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Putting the hard top back on, before the snow, will save needless wear and tear on your soft top by salt and road dirt. The hard top rear glass defroster and wiper make winter driving safer, the glass lift gate is so much easier to use for access to the rear storage area. Plus, you have enough help to make the change over quick and painless.
Top change over in the Spring and Fall is a great way to welcome the Seasons, and Jeep Life

omg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
meh, keep the soft top. ny downstate winters are mild.
some days we get a chance to drive with top off during winter. [50's is quiet common]

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Lol they were. We were supposed to be Winter 2020 in India. Now its looking like Winter 2021.
I'm sorry to hear that. I hope your revised plans work out well.

My daughter and her fiancé are now thinking of getting married in our backyard in May. That makes it easier to plan if the virus is still an issue (we can scale it down if needed).

Outlawd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 punk'n Rubicon unlimited, 1968 Plymouth GTX, 1969 Coronet R/T 440 BDS 871 blower 900hp
I got a couple months before I put the top on then the interior detailing begins, she's a little dusty inside it's gonna suck. Probably take a 6 pack to get it done ;) then bring on the winter....

Sponsored

OP
OP
Punjabi New Yorker

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)

I like the looks of the older That better. Newer one however has more features.
Think I will stick with my 2012.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
@Punjabi New Yorker : The following is said with satire in mind.

Sir: I am now going to teach you the "dark arts" of getting your better half to allow you to purchase gear (a.k.a. toys) for the Wrangler.

Better--and this takes years of practice and a Zen Master level of expertise--getting her to come up with the idea.

Witness: you may commit to the soft top this winter. Likely, your back window will become in need of some cleaning to see out of it after the first snow.

Nevermind you have side view mirrors and Plexus cleaner by now--and really don't need much visibility out this window anyway. This is irrelevant. The goal is Jeep gear! Now pay attention!

Of course, you are concerned for your bride to be's safety, and suggest the acquisition of a JL Tazer JL Tazer so that the backup camera can be enabled at any time for periods greater than the about 8 seconds it says on when you enable it outside of being in reverse gear, effectively becoming the rear view mirror.

Do you see what I did there? It was so swift, so smooth you may have missed it. You got a toy (that does far more than provide the backup camera feature) AND the admiration of your better half in caring for her. Bravo.

These dark arts are quite powerful OP. Use them wisely. ;)

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Not mentioned earlier - windshield washer fluid.

If you are not familiar with winter weather, the washer fluid used in summer will freeze in winter in NY. You need to use it up and refill with fluid that is rated for freezing temperatures.

This is obviously *not* Jeep specific advice.
Sponsored