Putting doors back on issue

RichD

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
First time for me taking the doors off this past weekend. Fortunately I did not have a problem with the detent bracket. I was lucky I guess that my doors were fully open when I took them off, leaving the detent in the correct position. Note to self for next time.

That said, it was a pain to reinstall the doors. For me definitely a 2 person job. I was freaking that I'd scratch or dent something.... blue taping the jamb near the hinges, covering the threshold with a towel. I'm such a wuss, clearly not a true jeeper!
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
First time for me taking the doors off this past weekend. Fortunately I did not have a problem with the detent bracket. I was lucky I guess that my doors were fully open when I took them off, leaving the detent in the correct position. Note to self for next time.

That said, it was a pain to reinstall the doors. For me definitely a 2 person job. I was freaking that I'd scratch or dent something.... blue taping the jamb near the hinges, covering the threshold with a towel. I'm such a wuss, clearly not a true jeeper!
The first scratch is always the hardest.

tmcarr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU S24
Occupation
CIO
I've had the doors off several times but evidently left the detent bracket in the "out" position, so I just had to put the bolt through the bracket hole and re-insert it in the threaded door jamb. However, the last time, I somehow pushed the detent bracket back into the door...yes, it was a bear to get back into the extended position. I used a screwdriver and a small block of wood to not damage the paint and I pried so hard I thought something was going to bend or break, but it finally came out. Will not make that mistake again.

FitBliss

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Limited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Finally got it, put vice grips on it and pulled like hell till they popped out ..
Did the same, thought I was gonna break it :fingerscrossed:

Anyone else have issues trying to line up the bolts when putting the door back on, scratched the heck out of them, but did it solo.

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
Like others posted, you can close the door enough to thread the screw in as many turns as you can muster and slowly open the door. It'll pop right out. I've had mine turtle many times I just do this, works every time and no damage.

Sponsored

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Zip tie and a washer slightly larger than the retention bolt. Run zip tie through washer, then through the hole in the bracket. Fasten washer to body using the bolt and tighten the zip tie as much as possible with the door almost closed. Slowly open the door and it will come out. I only had to do this once.

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

Take your time with reassemble the front plugs. Don’t use the White lever to push it back together ...go slow to feel if the pins are matching up. You may want to remove the vehicle side from the body permanently so you can see the alignment better. Take your time, every time.
Another helpful hint is to put the doors back in the hinges at 90* open so the other arm won’t scratch the door surround. Yup, did that once also.

dlcsordos

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler
Just want to say as Brand New to the jeep world - this thread was a life saver. First time taking the doors off and the bracket turtle...After reading here - First I knew it was a common occurrence - Second was able to get the tread started with the finger tips, slowly pushed the door open and POP - Cane right out - No Damage - Thanks again to all..This is definitely the way to go!!!
Sponsored