Sponsored

Tried putting new wheel on back, hits the bumper and won’t fit. any suggestions!

aciccarelle

First Name
Alexis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Hi Everyone!

Need some suggestions and advice!!

I just got my stock tires switched out for 35s on my JL and didn’t realize till now, that the 5th tire hits the bumper on the back and can’t be mounted. I’ve been doing some research and I see they make spacers for that, but not for the JL, and they also make hitch tire carriers, and I also don’t have a hitch on my base model. Any suggestions?? Really would like to ride with that 5th tire on there!

Thanks! 😊
Sponsored

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon - Punk'n Orange

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Strange, most people mount 35's on the back with no issue.
OP has a Sport. Tire carrier and bumper are different than those on the Rubicon. The Rubicon will fit a 35 spare no problem.

Any suggestions??
You need a spare tire relocation bracket. That will move the spare up and away from the bumper. I had to install one after going with 33s on my Sport Altitude. I went with the one from RedRock 4x4. There are many options out there, so do some Google searching and check on Quadratec, Extreme Terrain, Northridge 4x4 and other sites.

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon - Punk'n Orange
OP has a Sport. Tire carrier and bumper are different than those on the Rubicon. The Rubicon will fit a 35 spare no problem.

You need a spare tire relocation bracket. That will move the spare up and away from the bumper. I had to install one after going with 33s on my Sport Altitude. I went with the one from RedRock 4x4. There are many options out there, so do some Google searching and check on Quadratec, Extreme Terrain, Northridge 4x4 and other sites.
I did not know that the tire carrier was different on the sport. Seems a strange thing to do from a production standpoint for Jeep. Good looking out though, OP definitely needs a relocation bracket

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Seems a strange thing to do from a production standpoint for Jeep.
It isn’t actually. The Rubicon comes with larger tires from the factory. It needs the different carrier. It’s no different production wise than with the various models having different bumpers, etc.

R3TRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Film Industry
It isn’t actually. The Rubicon comes with larger tires from the factory. It needs the different carrier. It’s no different production wise than with the various models having different bumpers, etc.
I'll piggy back this... I have Willys which comes with 255/80r17 33" tires (measured 32"). I wonder if I have the Rubicon tire mount or Sport? Any way to tell? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I put a 35" spare on my sport no problem and no hitting the bumper, it was close but not contacting. Mine's a 2019 though, I wonder if they moved the bumper up in the following years.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I put a 35" spare on my sport no problem and no hitting the bumper, it was close but not contacting. Mine's a 2019 though, I wonder if they moved the bumper up in the following years.
Very strange, as I had rubbing with 33s on mine. It’s a ‘20.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Very strange, as I had rubbing with 33s on mine. It’s a ‘20.
Did you extend the tire stops? That's one thing I forgot to mention, I extended the stops, it kicks the bottom of the tire out a bit. I am also surprised that you couldn't get a 33 on there.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tried putting new wheel on back, hits the bumper and won’t fit. any suggestions! 20190617_114337

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Did you extend the tire stops?
Bump stops weren’t the issue. Technically the wheel and tire fit. The issue was the tire rubbing the bumper when opening/closing the tailgate. My OCD couldn’t live with that, so I went with a relocation bracket.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Bump stops weren’t the issue. Technically the wheel and tire fit. The issue was the tire rubbing the bumper when opening/closing the tailgate. My OCD couldn’t live with that, so I went with a relocation bracket.
I've got a bumper/tire carrier combo now because I didn't want that much weight on the tailgate, but it wasn't rubbing. Something must have changed between then and now.
Sponsored