Putting the JLU back in "Winter Mode"

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
  • Banned
I am a first time Jeep Owner and got me a Brand New JLUR in Feb 2020. Had the Dual Top Group which allowed me to swap tops in June. The Jeep is very important to me as it is the first time item my Fiancée and I bought together. Me and her were planning on going back to India for the Winter months for business reasons but then COVID happened and we are unable to leave the US. Originally we were just going to leave the Jeep parked in our Garage with the soft top and give the keys to my uncle. Myself, her and one of our common friends has time either this weekend or next weekend to get the Jeep "winterized" now that we are approaching end of the Summer and it looks like COVID will prevent us from returning to India for the Winter. Need some recommendations as to how we should consider "winterizing" the Jeep in Long Island as she puts it. I have a 2012 Mahindra Thar in India that does not need to be "Winterized" as North Indian winters are probably as cold as the winters in Mississippi or Alabama or South Carolina in the US (unless you live in the Himalayan states). Here is what I had so far. Will be very thankful if someone offers their honest opinion and adds or removes things:

1. Install the Hard Top as Soft Top in winters in the NYC area may create problems for us in the Snow. Reading the forums, It seems that the Windows in a Soft Top are prone to cracking in the extreme cold or in Snow if we try to scrape the windows off. I will remember to not scrape them but am confident my lady or my Uncle will forget. So I was thinking about putting the Hard Top back on. Also heard that Snow Salt wreaks havoc on the Premium Soft Top fabric long term.

2. Remove all doors and put in some sort of Grease to prevent long term corrosion. We were operating Doorless very frequently in the summer. I wanted to grease the two outside Window Hinges, the inside hinge and all three screws as well per door. Can someone recommend a good grease to use?

3. Spray the Undercarriage with Rustoleum or something similar to fight long term corrosion.

3. And of course top off all the fluids (coolant, windshield washer).

Please don't eat me. This is my first thread.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Maybe I’m just a dullard but, frankly, you don’t need to do any of that. Since you have the dual top, go ahead and slam the hardtop on. The rest is noise.

slam the hard top on and then drive the shit out of it. Nothing more needed. It’s a Jeep. If your doors squeak at some point. Grease them then. Until then, put your hard on and DRIVE with a smile.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I am a first time Jeep Owner and got me a Brand New JLUR in Feb 2020. Had the Dual Top Group which allowed me to swap tops in June. The Jeep is very important to me as it is the first time item my Fiancée and I bought together. Me and her were planning on going back to India for the Winter months for business reasons but then COVID happened and we are unable to leave the US. Originally we were just going to leave the Jeep parked in our Garage with the soft top and give the keys to my uncle. Myself, her and one of our common friends has time either this weekend or next weekend to get the Jeep "winterized" now that we are approaching end of the Summer and it looks like COVID will prevent us from returning to India for the Winter. Need some recommendations as to how we should consider "winterizing" the Jeep in Long Island as she puts it. I have a 2012 Mahindra Thar in India that does not need to be "Winterized" as North Indian winters are probably as cold as the winters in Mississippi or Alabama or South Carolina in the US (unless you live in the Himalayan states). Here is what I had so far. Will be very thankful if someone offers their honest opinion and adds or removes things:

1. Install the Hard Top as Soft Top in winters in the NYC area may create problems for us in the Snow. Reading the forums, It seems that the Windows in a Soft Top are prone to cracking in the extreme cold or in Snow if we try to scrape the windows off. I will remember to not scrape them but am confident my lady or my Uncle will forget. So I was thinking about putting the Hard Top back on. Also heard that Snow Salt wreaks havoc on the Premium Soft Top fabric long term.

2. Remove all doors and put in some sort of Grease to prevent long term corrosion. We were operating Doorless very frequently in the summer. I wanted to grease the two outside Window Hinges, the inside hinge and all three screws as well per door. Can someone recommend a good grease to use?

3. Spray the Undercarriage with Rustoleum or something similar to fight long term corrosion.

3. And of course top off all the fluids (coolant, windshield washer).

Please don't eat me. This is my first thread.
One more thing:

did I mention to stop worrying about stuff (I’m guessing that you are and engineer)...... take your fiancé by the hand And Take her to your Jeep. Drive to the loveliest Road you can find in NYC and instead of rustoleuming your Jeep, use that time to have a picnic with your future bride. She could care less about spray paint. She wants to ride in that jeep with you to that park. bring a picnic basket and a blanket to keep her warm. Winter is coming. Enjoy.

OP
OP
Punjabi New Yorker

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
  • Banned
One more thing:

did I mention to stop worrying about stuff (I’m guessing that you are and engineer)...... take your fiancé by the hand And Take her to your Jeep. Drive to the loveliest Road you can find in NYC and instead of rustoleuming your Jeep, use that time to have a picnic with your future bride. She could care less about spray paint. She wants to ride in that jeep with you to that park. bring a picnic basket and a blanket to keep her warm. Winter is coming. Enjoy.
I want to drive her around but DeBlasio keeps on shutting down the roads in name of COVID :headbang:

Sponsored

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
I would put the hardtop back on, but you have a few more months to enjoy.

Removing the doors and greasing the hinge sleeves and door pins would be a smart move.

per rust proofing there are a few threads on that, if you have a pressure washer to clean the underside and a garage or driveway, yes spraying some wax or oil based products to the underside of your jeep is another smart move.

I would also change the diffs and t-case fluids and just before the snow flys in Nov give it a good polish and wax with your favorite sealer.

and there are no dumb questions.

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
Here in Canada we have some pretty fierce winters - my winter prep is switching to my hardtop, check fluids and drive it.
They don’t use salt here in Alberta but I make a point of washing off the underside frequently just to get rid of whatever chemicals are used...even just going through a drive through (touchless) wash will work as they typically spray underneath.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Welcome to the forum. Whether you keep the soft top on for the winter or not, many of the forum, myself included, highly recommend acquiring this and treating the premium soft top with it to prevent stains like the winter road salt you describe, or many other things that also can stain it during the warmer months.

Formula 303 for Fabric

Formula 303 for Fabric Refill

Good luck sir.

OP
OP
Punjabi New Yorker

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
  • Banned
Welcome to the forum. Whether you keep the soft top on for the winter or not, many of the forum, myself included, highly recommend acquiring this and treating the premium soft top with it to prevent stains like the winter road salt you describe, or many other things that also can stain it during the warmer months.

Formula 303 for Fabric

Formula 303 for Fabric Refill

Good luck sir.
For the 4 door soft top, any idea how much I may need per setting? Just the 32 Oz ok or should I consider to buy an additional Gallon? And how often should I be spraying the soft top per year? Sorry for all the questions. If this can help me fight off the snow salt in the Winter,
I wont change to a hard top and remind my fiancée and uncle to not scrape the windows when its extremely cold or snowy. Thank you for this!!

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
For the 4 door soft top, any idea how much I may need per setting? Just the 32 Oz ok or should I consider to buy an additional Gallon? And how often should I be spraying the soft top per year? Sorry for all the questions. If this can help me fight off the snow salt in the Winter,
I wont change to a hard top and remind my fiancée and uncle to not scrape the windows when its extremely cold or snowy. Thank you for this!!
Having done this, I am of the opinion that a single 32 oz bottle will cover an entire soft top many times, and I personally spray my soft top about twice annually.

This said, sir, may I be an honest friend? This sentence of yours resonates with me:

The Jeep is very important to me as it is the first time item my Fiancée and I bought together.
I completely get this. It's an expensive item and beyond that it matters to you because your care of it is a surrogate it seems for care of your lovely bride to be, who you bought it with. I get that. I baby my Wrangler and I don't share your purchase experience.

But that said, this thing goes through mud, under 30" of water, off road, on overlanding trips, and yes, through the streets of NYC. It's one tough cookie. Enjoy its ruggedness. Make memories with it with your bride, and don't worry about babying it. But know I respect and get where you are coming from.

Safe and happy travels.

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Oh, as it regards cleaning your soft tops windows (of dirt and grime not snow and ice) many forums members, myself included, use this:

A can lasts me a year

Plexus

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
+1 for the Plexus window cleaner.

Congratulations on your engagement! I hope your wedding plans weren’t upended by Covid.

My daughter and her fiancé were to be married next month in Greece but those plans had to change, sadly.

OP
OP
Punjabi New Yorker

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
+1 for the Plexus window cleaner.

Congratulations on your engagement! I hope your wedding plans weren’t upended by Covid.

My daughter and her fiancé were to be married next month in Greece but those plans had to change, sadly.
Lol they were. We were supposed to be Winter 2020 in India. Now its looking like Winter 2021.

Movenpuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 2.0L T
Welcome to the forum,
Not much help but Im also in nyc with a dual top JLUR. Im going to try and ride out the winter with the soft top.

Congrats on your engagement.
Wahe Guru

mygreenkaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I put anti seize on the door hinge pins and sleeves, easy to do since the doors are off. Figure can't hurt come spring time.
Sponsored