Wrangler Diesel Engine Questions

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
I had posted this question in the electronics section but didn’t receive an answer:

Many of us have the Tazer. I wonder if the designers of that device have access to the regen data through the connections it makes with the Jeep. If so, could they put up indication on the dash display?

Do any of you know how to contact the Tazer folks? Last I looked, could not find a “contact us” on the website.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
I had posted this question in the electronics section but didn’t receive an answer:

Many of us have the Tazer. I wonder if the designers of that device have access to the regen data through the connections it makes with the Jeep. If so, could they put up indication on the dash display?

Do any of you know how to contact the Tazer folks? Last I looked, could not find a “contact us” on the website.
I see how you missed it being that it is right at the top of the page labeled "Contact Us"...

Annotation 2020-05-13 203536.png

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
I see how you missed it being that it is right at the top of the page labeled "Contact Us"...

Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler Diesel Engine Questions Annotation 2020-05-13 203536
Thanks. It had been a while since I visited the website. As I revisited the site just now, I remembered that I had found a contact button but that it didn't help me. This time with my work PC (don't tell anybody...lol) I get a different response when clicking on the "contact us" button. On my Ipad, (that I typically use for forum stuff) a drop down box showed with "dealer inquiry" and "sponsorship", but that was it. On this PC, it shows that but also pops up a form to send them a comment. However the whole form doesn't show on my screen and I wasn't successful in sending a message. I guessed at the Captcha answer. Maybe a problem with my browser? Am using Edge. I do see they post a phone number for texting purposes. Was hoping to be able to just call someone. It say's text message only.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Ordered the BlueDriver.

Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler Diesel Engine Questions Annotation 2020-05-13 203536
How is this working for Regen status and other EcoDiesel guages like Turbo temps and soot monitoring?

reost1

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2022 Rubicon
I have a 3.0 Diesel JLU. I am looking to use both the Tazer Mini and the Banks Pedal Monster on my Jeep. Can they be used at the same time?

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I have a 3.0 Diesel JLU. I am looking to use both the Tazer Mini and the Banks Pedal Monster on my Jeep. Can they be used at the same time?
I don't know about Banks, but I'm running a Tazer and a Pedal Commander at the same time. Plus a Scangauge and an aftermarket remote start. It's a little busy behind the dash but they all peacefully co-exist.

The Scangauge and the throttle enhancer are great Ecodiesel mods.

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

Using the full Banks system JLUAD would like to use the Tazer JL for a few alterations but I don't think you could run them both. Interested to find out what you find.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
If you are leaning towards Banks, look into a OBDII splitter on Amazon. For some reason, that was a bridge too far for me, so I went with Pedal Commander. They are all basically the same. Banks touts the deactivation when in reverse, but you'll see that that safeguard is a nothing-burger once you actually try a throttle enhancer.

Sponsored

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
Never thought about the turbo spooling up and down with ESS. I just got a Tazer on hers and mine to kill the ESS because it's obnoxious. Also there are only so many times the starter will work as expected. Another issue that has probably not been explored is how many cycles a head gasket can go through if the ESS is active and you are in a traffic jam. I have a 2012 Prius and at 185000 the head gasket blew. The Corolla variant tends never to have head gasket issues but the fact that a Prius can go through many more heat cycles per trip causes the head gaskets to fail between 150k and 180k.

Last edited:

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
If you are leaning towards Banks, look into a OBDII splitter on Amazon. For some reason, that was a bridge too far for me, so I went with Pedal Commander. They are all basically the same. Banks touts the deactivation when in reverse, but you'll see that that safeguard is a nothing-burger once you actually try a throttle enhancer.
The Tazer mini doesn't use the OBD-II port, it only uses the Security Gateway. I have a Banks super throttley do (whatever marketing name i'm drawing a blank on at the moment) on order and a Tazer Lite (which is just a Tazer mini that isn't unlocked) already installed and don't anticipate needing an OBD-II splitter. If things change, I'll update and eat my portion of crow.

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
Never thought about the turbo spooling up and down with ESS. I just got a Tazer on hers and mine to kill the ESS because it's obnoxious> Also there are only so many times the starter will work as expected. Another issue that has probably not been explored is ho many cycles a head gasket can go through if the ESS is active and you are in a traffic jam. I have a 2012 Prius and at 185000 the head gasket blew. The Corolla variant tends never to have head gasket issues but the fact that a Prius can go through many more heat cycles per trip causes the head gaskets to fail between 150k and 180k.
One other thing that just popped to mind reading your message: cooldown of the turbo oil after it has been run fairly hard is critical to turbo life, so much so that it is even mentioned in the owners manual to allow the vehicle to idle before shutting it down to allow the turbo oil temps to cool a bit before the bearings stop spinning. Yet what does ESS do, when you're coming off the freeway to a red light on the feeder? Interesting little contradiction there.

I turned my ESS off with my Tazer Lite about an hour after taking delivery of the Jeep. I think it got me twice in that first hour, which was annoyance enough.

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
One other thing that just popped to mind reading your message: cooldown of the turbo oil after it has been run fairly hard is critical to turbo life, so much so that it is even mentioned in the owners manual to allow the vehicle to idle before shutting it down to allow the turbo oil temps to cool a bit before the bearings stop spinning. Yet what does ESS do, when you're coming off the freeway to a red light on the feeder? Interesting little contradiction there.
During the summer when we turned her's off, the water pump would continue to circulate for awhile. Also is the turbo integrated into the lubrication or is it separate?

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
During the summer when we turned her's off, the water pump would continue to circulate for awhile. Also is the turbo integrated into the lubrication or is it separate?
It'll have oil lines that draw from the main sump, surely. I'll be playing with Jeep stuff over the weekend, swapping parts over, and will be giving the engine compartment a good looking over to familiarize myself with it.
Sponsored