Wrangler Diesel Engine Questions

WVB

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys Unlimited 3.0L Diesel HellaYella
Not gonna work on a compression ignition engine.
Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
ESS is proven to save fuel to the tune of at least 1 MPG on the Pentastar in the real world. How much does it save on the EcoDiesel? Probably more since higher-MPG vehicles are more sensitive to change and idling. So, ESS is not a joke.

Engine longevity? They engineered the starter motor, flywheel, etc. to handle start/stop events long term. Cooling? The cooling fan is electric. It can still run with the engine shut down. Off-road? The manual specifically states to push the button and turn it off when rock crawling.

The potential downsides to disabling ESS are worse....idling causes fuel wash-down on modern diesels which dilutes your crank case with diesel fuel which in turn increases cylinder and valvetrain wear. Idling also increases DPF sooting and increases the number of regen cycles.

If you want your engine to last longer AND save you money, leave the ESS alone. I was bummed to discover the Ram application doesn't have ESS.
Interesting considering I drove a pentastar JLUR for 10,000 miles and never logged greater than a 0.1mpg gain with ESS. Engineering something for a purpose does not preclude it from increasing wear and introducing reliability problems...see EGR and DPF for a couple prime examples. An electric fan does not maintain the flow of coolant, which is precisely why the manual also has a list of idle-time recommendations before shutdown...at the price of fuel wash down? Who knows, but the engineers seem comfortable with the trade off. Maybe ESS has temperature cutoffs to avoid turbo cooling issues, but I’ll take my approach. Soot production at idle in a modern diesel at operating temperature is of little significance unless you spend foolish amounts of time in stop and go traffic...in which case maybe a diesel wrangler wasn’t the right choice. Regardless, this is the brilliant thing about choice...you leave your ESS on and I disable mine because we have different driving conditions and assessments of risk. We can touch base in 10-20 years and see whose crystal ball worked better.

E92BBEB4-7C58-4349-AC10-DF8E644A5865.png

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Interesting considering I drove a pentastar JLUR for 10,000 miles and never logged greater than a 0.1mpg gain with ESS. Engineering something for a purpose does not preclude it from increasing wear and introducing reliability problems...see EGR and DPF for a couple prime examples. An electric fan does not maintain the flow of coolant, which is precisely why the manual also has a list of idle-time recommendations before shutdown...at the price of fuel wash down? Who knows, but the engineers seem comfortable with the trade off. Maybe ESS has temperature cutoffs to avoid turbo cooling issues, but I’ll take my approach. Soot production at idle in a modern diesel at operating temperature is of little significance unless you spend foolish amounts of time in stop and go traffic...in which case maybe a diesel wrangler wasn’t the right choice. Regardless, this is the brilliant thing about choice...you leave your ESS on and I disable mine because we have different driving conditions and assessments of risk. We can touch base in 10-20 years and see whose crystal ball worked better.
I was thinking the same this morning. I had a 20 minute trip mostly highway and my coolant and oil temp reading was 210/224 when I was about to take an exit and anticipated a traffic stop. I disabled ESS and stopped at the traffic light for 1.5 minutes. Once the light turned green, I had to stop again crossing the overhead bridge. I enabled ESS back on and ESS did kick in at 220 plus oil temps. So I guess ESS requires a higher threshold for it to be not active.

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
To ESS or not to ESS... that button provides all a choice. Feel free to do as one pleases :)

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I've owned Diesel pickups, for the past 20 years, and as far as water in the fuel, well, much depends on where you buy the fuel. Always buy from stations who do high volume, in diesel sales, and look well maintained. Also, A few times a year, I drain a cup or so out of the fuel filter/separator. A couple of times I have had hard starts, but after I drained some.out of the separator, the trucks started fine.

Sponsored

2020 Diesel JL

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 CJ3B Diesel, 2018 Camaro Hot Wheels Convertible, 2018 Dodge 3500 Diesel, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide White, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide Black, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
General Manager / Owner of CraneWorks Orlando
Vehicle Showcase
ESS is proven to save fuel to the tune of at least 1 MPG on the Pentastar in the real world. How much does it save on the EcoDiesel? Probably more since higher-MPG vehicles are more sensitive to change and idling. So, ESS is not a joke.

Engine longevity? They engineered the starter motor, flywheel, etc. to handle start/stop events long term. Cooling? The cooling fan is electric. It can still run with the engine shut down. Off-road? The manual specifically states to push the button and turn it off when rock crawling.

The potential downsides to disabling ESS are worse....idling causes fuel wash-down on modern diesels which dilutes your crank case with diesel fuel which in turn increases cylinder and valvetrain wear. Idling also increases DPF sooting and increases the number of regen cycles.

If you want your engine to last longer AND save you money, leave the ESS alone. I was bummed to discover the Ram application doesn't have ESS.
We need to stop the fuel wash-down story. It's the second time I have seen it stated in the last 24 hours on this forum and to member that do not know any better it would be concerning, rightfully so.. It is not a concern in the 3.0 EcoDiesel and most new diesels in general . It has been proven not to be a problem by the EPA.
These are the facts from a EPA and the City of Niagara Falls Water Board study that was done in Jan 2020 when they were looking to order their new fleet of trucks. I know the facts because I supplied 5 oil samples from my fleet of 9 Ram trucks with 6.7's from 2017's to 2020's to them. They wanted to go back to diesels because of the cost of engine replacements with their current gas fleet they have experienced. The Ford 6.0 and 6.4 scared many municipalities into gas trucks years ago. I have a good friend that is a supervisor for the City of Niagara Falls Water Board was part of the study for both the 6.7L and 3.0L Ram truck engines. One report they received back was oil analyses. The newly designed aftertreatment system combined with the new coated pistons and skits along with new designed piston rings has lowered fuel migration to between 0% and .02% in 17 samples with the average coming in at .0001% There are many generic articles out there but they are not facts to the 3.0 EcoDiesel.
I disagree with the ESS being a good thing for ANY turbo engine. Turbo shafts spin up to 300,000 rpm and will not hold up to the oil supply being shut off when the ESS shuts down the engine every time it stops. The only reason for the ESS is to help fuel economy numbers. If you have no issue with putting in a new turbo every few years leave it on. I am sure the thousands of $ a new turbo will cost plus installed will make you wish you spent the extra $20 in fuel.

Yes the Tazer will shut the ESS off. It will allow the last ESS setting to be remembered when restarting the engine. If you shut it off and never turn it back on it will stay off.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
A minute idling before shutting down engine after a 20 minute freeway drive is what I do as per the Diesel Supplement manual.
But I also have a mile and a half slow driving to get to my house and through my subdivision after taking the freeway exit. I guess 3-5 minutes such driving at 25 mph at low RPM would accomplish the same as idling for a couple of minutes? I guess gentle driving like this before shutting down may be better than idling and better for DPF, and reduce regens?

WVB

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Having driven diesel trucks for years and being able to monitor EGTs I would say that after a 1 1/2 mile cool down you’re probably fine to shut it down when you hit your driveway. It usually takes about 3-4 minutes of idling to cool down to safe temps to avoid coking of the oil in the turbo.

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Having driven diesel trucks for years and being able to monitor EGTs I would say that after a 1 1/2 mile cool down you’re probably fine to shut it down when you hit your driveway. It usually takes about 3-4 minutes of idling to cool down to safe temps to avoid coking of the oil in the turbo.
Yep, that's what I thought.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Seems we need better diagnostic monitors than provided so we can effectively monitor certain operating conditions. Better to know than guess.
At least two I can think of is the DPF and the turbo.

Jeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD 06 Corvette. 16 FLTRU
Occupation
Lighthouse Keeper, Retired Electrical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Seems we need better diagnostic monitors than provided so we can effectively monitor certain operating conditions. Better to know than guess.
I have thought that as well. So I have a Scangauge 2 ordered. It lists 11 gauges not on the offroad page, like EGT, Regen active,distance since last regen, soot mass load.

WVB

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have an older Edge Insight CTS. Need to plug it in and see if it can pick up anything.

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
I’m researching a Bluetooth OBD2 solution.

Last edited:

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Expensive but can execute a regen. Not sure if compatible with this diesel but something like this would be beneficial for those who’d rather be in control of the process versus hoping it happens enough.

Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler Diesel Engine Questions FD2E0C20-E8E6-465D-95A3-53884AE2E6A6
Sponsored