Diesel engine any good?

1. Adam 4248

Adam 4248 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLS
    Liked:
    Are the diesels engines in the Jeep reliable? The torque numbers are impressive, but meaningless if it is unreliable.

kermitjewel likes this.
  2. ads75

ads75 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2016 Acura RDX
    Liked:
    It just came out. Are you looking for a 25 mile review?

xtopherm, FL_Diesel, El Jefe and 2 others like this.
  3. CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    How will it be operated? Mostly highway or stop and go? If the latter, pass on any diesel and buy a gasoline engine. Modern diesels are not like the diesels of yesteryear. The emissions, maintenance, and potential for issues far outweigh the benefits.

kermitjewel, Frezski and Oletimer like this.
  4. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member

First Name:
    Kraig
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    The diesel in the Wranglers have been out for a long time. They are basically the same Eco Diesel that has been in the Ram 1500 as well as other vehicles. It's a Fiat Diesel and has been used extensively by Fiat. Do a Google search, you'll find a plethora of info on that engine. And before people jump downy throat that it's a slightly different engine, changed or times differently for Jeep. But it's still the same basic engine. It's been tried and true as a good engine and fuel efficient.

If I was buying new right now I'd get the diesel!

5. kermitjewel

kermitjewel Well-Known Member

First Name:
    frog brigade
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 JLR Mojito, 1998 audi
    Liked:
    i drove my friends 2020 gen 3 RAM Laramie eco diesel 25 miles up hwy 101, fantastic diesel, quiet sound, great responsive powerband, no turbo lag noticeable, up hill fine, 0-80 up hill like a dream, enjoy em folks...:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

6. CarbonSteel

Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    The engine itself is not the issue, it is all of the emissions systems surrounding it which are not designed for stop and go or low speed operation. The question is longevity of those systems and overall operational costs--particularly past the warranty stage. There is nothing on a modern diesel that is cheap to repair. It is also curious (according to what I have read) that FCA does not offer an unlimited mileage warranty like they do for the gasoline models. I wonder why that is?

Adam 4248 and kermitjewel like this.
  7. JLURD

JLURD Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
    Liked:
    Yea and they won’t even sell you an extended warranty on the EGR or DPF...should tell people all they need to know about those parts.

8. CarbonSteel

Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    In the case of the DPF, every manufacturer that I know of considers it to be a "wear item" because it is a "filter". Most will last into the low 100K range, but then have to be replaced. Since they are usually proprietary, there is only once place to buy them and (depending on the OEM) they are thousands, not hundreds of dollars. Add that little price tag onto your operational costs and the break-even point versus a gasoline engine moves out even further.

9. rickinAZ

rickinAZ Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Rick
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Rubicon Hard Rock 2-door
    Liked:
    Retired
    I've heard this issue of highway versus stop/go before. My Wranglers are not exactly comfortable at highway speeds and, being retired, most of my mileage is shorter hops. I would guess that most owners are not mostly-highway drivers. Is this short hops usage really an issue? I want a Diesel JL, but I have a sweet running ride now, and don't want to switch to a vehicle where my usage is creating reliability/driveability problems.

kermitjewel likes this.
  10. CarbonSteel

Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Note the information below; hopefully this will help you see what happens in stop & go operation. I am not a diesel hater by any stretch of the imagination, but I think many people assume that modern diesels are like the ones from 15-20 years ago and they are not. Based upon what you said about how you will be using it, I would not buy a diesel for that use case.

kermitjewel likes this.
  11. JLURD

JLURD Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    I’m not adding it to any operational costs...when it fails out of warranty it will be removed permanently. Not an option for some, but if the government is so concerned about my vehicle’s effects on atmospheric particulate, they can cover an extended warranty on them like their other “major emissions control components” like catalytic converters. And before anyone gets on their high horse about how my decisions affect everyone, do know I’ve made life decisions which account for pollution reductions many thousands of times that of a single DPF or EGR.

Beestmode, kermitjewel and GtX like this.
  12. CarbonSteel

Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    How will you do that without a PCM program to compensate? I have no horse in the race, but this seems to be too much BS in the quest for what?

kermitjewel likes this.
  13. JLURD

JLURD Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    There will be multiple companies with ECU tunes allowing for deletes before the end of the year, barring a long term/complete meltdown of the world economy. There are other threads here discussing the companies which are already hard at work to supply the tunes. The quest is for better engine longevity, better mpg, better fuel range, better reliability, better exhaust sound or whatever combination therein which the individual desires.

Beestmode and kermitjewel like this.
  14. Jludiesel334

Jludiesel334 Member

Vehicle(s):
    2020 JLU ecoDIESEL ( on order 11-27)
    Liked:
    Im only at 500 miles on mine. Love it so far. Haven’t used it for anything other than commuting so far, but it’s been very efficient (hand calculated 28.6 mpg mixed driving).

El Jefe, aai, JLURD and 1 other person like this.
  15. 2020 Diesel JL

2020 Diesel JL Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Peter
    Vehicle(s):
    1955 CJ3B Diesel, 2018 Camaro Hot Wheels Convertible, 2018 Dodge 3500 Diesel, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide White, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide Black, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
    Liked:
    General Manager / Owner of CraneWorks Orlando
    Garage Profiles:
    My dealer gave a lifetime drivetrain on my Jeep that can be used at any Jeep dealer at no additional cost. .

Benagi likes this.