Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
How many of you utilize your wrangler as a daily driver? I travel to several plants monthly throughout the northeast and put roughly 20-25k miles a year on my daily driver. Wondering if my ordered 392 can fit the bill as a daily?
Sure.

But that 392 will need a tether to the gas pump.
Sponsored

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Wrangler392; ā€˜20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
How many of you utilize your wrangler as a daily driver? I travel to several plants monthly throughout the northeast and put roughly 20-25k miles a year on my daily driver. Wondering if my ordered 392 can fit the bill as a daily?
If you donā€™t hit much traffic itā€™s doable. The suspension is significantly more comfortable on road than my 2018 sport. Longest range Iā€™ve gotten out of it has been around 320 miles.

Elsinore73

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I daily my JLUR on Long Island and love it, about 7k on the clock currently. Much more comfortable daily than my TJ was.

Mtenna99

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Programmer
Clubs

I work from homeā€¦but the Jeep is my trip vehicle. 7 months old and 10k miles with long distance traveling. I love it.

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
DD our 2021 JLURD on 37s, shared between wife and me, about that 25k per year. This is now my 10th Jeep, and the most comfortable. Does get loud on the highway, but under 65-70 mph isn't too bad and the fuel mileage is happier. Quieter with the hard top for that half of the year. Kind of a pain climbing in and out with the lifted height, but at stock it was great. Stock 392 on 35s would be a great, comfortable set-up.

Before this we had a 2018 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk diesel. That was a better highway hauler, but the off-road and just uniqueness tradeoffs have been more than worth it to us. The seats are also more comfortable to both of us.

That said, we are now looking for second vehicle that can do more highway duty (and not cost quite as much in tire wear and other maintenance).

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I used my soft top YJ as a daily driver. Your new Wrangler will be a luxury vehicle in comparison.

danzy55

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2003 Wranger TJ Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Every one I have owned 11 now, latest 2021 JLU 3.6L w/6spd average 23,000 miles/yr

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
@danzy55
Have you made any progress on an era-specific wheel aesthetic for your Islander build?

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I used to drive my Ram's (Hemi) as DD. I switched to the Sahara in 2019 (6,000 miles) yearly as DD. Totally different ride but it's a JEEP.

Now that retired this year I switched to my retirement 2021 Rubicon.. (577 miles) I really cannot tell much difference in the Sahara (33's) over the Rubi (35's) Both ride nice. Waiting to take a trip in the Rubicon. Right now it is DD but limited since no to and from work driving.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I'm still on the fence on this question myself. When I bought the Jeep, I wasn't expecting to daily it. After I drove it for awhile, I didn't really want to drive anything else. It amazes me that I can take a vehicle through deep mud puddles and crazy washed out ruts, then simply air up the tires and reconnect the sway bar to cruise it on the highway to work. I've kept my truck so far, but it holds no real appeal to me.

I feel like what I "should" do is drive the truck most of the time, and save the Jeep. If I don't put 80 miles a day on it, it will last longer. Those mud tires are great on the trail, but they won't last long on the highway. I could compromise and put on all terrains, but I really like how the mud tires are performing on the trail, and they're doing okay on the highway too. If I keep putting all these miles on, I'm going to wear out parts faster, but that is an opportunity to upgrade my suspension to better parts as I go.

I don't know. I'm probably going to sell the truck, and just keep driving the Jeep all the time. It's fun to drive. The truck is just wheels. If you told me a year ago I would be making that statement, I would have said you were crazy. I used to love that truck, but it's just not a Jeep.

Sponsored

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I daily my 4 door Rubi with a 2" lift and 35s in downtown Atlanta and love it cause I can drive over curbs, through medians, on sidewalks, through construction sites, etc. It's an anti-traffic device.

OP
OP
PaulNY

PaulNY

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜24 JLUR 392 Anvil ordered 5-10-23
Thanks for all the replies. For clarification, my work gives me a healthy monthly stipend toward a vehicle payment and also pays 100% of my gas and insurance (Iā€™m blessed and fortunate for sure). Also, they pay 100% of any maintenance related items including tires although during the warranty period it isnā€™t an issue. So, I will be basically driving a new 392 X-Recon for a very cheap out of pocket payment and will never worry about gas/insurance. In saying that, it makes it fun but also nerve racking when picking a vehicle to purchase as itā€™s my work/personal vehicle and price really isnā€™t a concern. Iā€™ve looked at the TRX as well and even a new power wagon. BUT, will they put a bigger smile on my face or be a better daily than my 392? My heart and gut says noā€¦.but, my dad (rip) is looking down saying what the hell are you doing buying a wrangler as a daily? So, my brain questions my love and desire to have the 392 :facepalm:

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
For clarification, my work gives me a healthy monthly stipend toward a vehicle payment and also pays 100% of my gas and insurance (Iā€™m blessed and fortunate for sure).
In some cultures, owning a 392 without having to worry about gas is considered equivalent to heaven.

Last edited:

YenBoon

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I daily drive my 21 JLU (2.0T auto) a little over 20 miles a day, a 50/50 mix of highway and city driving. I don't mind commuting everyday because my previous car was a modded WRX manual so not having to clutch in/out my whole commute feels like heaven.
Sponsored