Windshield washer fluid.

55WillysWagon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 Willys Wagon, 2019 Jeep Wrangler OB JLUR
On a slightly serious note...what is the capacity of the washer fluid? I have 3200 miles on my 19 and I still have fluid after what I'd consider regular use! No I'm not in the desert. New England rain and snow. Seems bottomless!

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
On a slightly serious note...what is the capacity of the washer fluid? I have 3200 miles on my 19 and I still have fluid after what I'd consider regular use! No I'm not in the desert. New England rain and snow. Seems bottomless!
Either the light comes on early, or it’s a little less than a gallon. Gallon jug always has just enough left in it to annoy me.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@55WillysWagon
@BillG

I believe the windshield washer reservoir on a JL, holds 7/8 of a gallon of washer fluid. You can squeeze in just about the whole gallon in if the washer fluid reservoir / the washer fluid system, if all the fluid lines are empty.

An aftermarket replacement, plastic washer fluid reservoir itself, costs about $48+-. The little yellow cap on the reservoir, alone costs $15+-

You probably know this.... but it is prudent just before Spring and just before Winter to siphon (easy to do) out what remains in the washer reservoir and then fill the reservoir with new fluid that is meant for that particular upcoming season.

You change out washer fluid not only because you want the correct fluid to deal with the upcoming external temperature range but also to refresh lets say the fluid... to get out the old that has contaminants/crapola in it in and get fresh/clean fluid in the reservoir. Another point is that with most products, Winter mix is more harsh on vehicles materials / paint, rubber, etc. then Summer formula

Hint: Do not mix brands of washer fluids in the reservoir if at all possible. Some of the fluids you can buy today, just don't mix well. If mixed, the combo mix you come up with could plug up your wiper nozzles. Nozzles can be hard to clear of the mix and the nozzles are as follows if you ever need to replace them on your JL.

Mopar Nozzle-Windshield Washer 68293025AA (Will fit on either side) $11.00+-
Mopar Nozzle-Lift-Gate Washer 68293253AA $15.00+-

Sponsored

allieboy

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
I'd be more concerned about why your light came on. Where's it leaking or is there an electrical issue or is someone sneaking into your Jeep and using up all your fluid? Oh and any washer fluid is fine, it's not like turn signal fluid which is a Mopar-specific product. Just make sure to properly orient the washer fluid filter when you put it back and to always torque the washer fluid reclamation receptacle bolts to 30nm. You do 40 and you'll have a mess.
Ive used Harbor Freight Turn Signal Fluid and noticed the sound of blinker doesnt sound like stock. Regarding filter, I dont torque. I hand tighten plus one half turn.

zoepup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
Did everyone’s Jeep come with clear washer fluid? It sure beats the blue stuff. I have not been able to find it on shelves.

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
I only use winter washer fluid. In the cooler climates, I recommend stocking up on washer fluid in the winter since that is the only time (at least in my area) you can buy it. Then you never have to worry about it freezing.

Sponsored

Oversized

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For fusion
Vehicle Showcase
In all seriousness I was shocked how quickly mine ran out of fluid. Granted I didn't check to see if it was full when I got it from the dealership but I had to refill mine after 1500 miles.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
You have to drain the winter fluid and replace with spring fluid first. Only after June 21st can you use summer fluid.
. . . and you have to be wearing white shoes and a white belt when you do that.

Nomad

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Either the light comes on early, or it’s a little less than a gallon. Gallon jug always has just enough left in it to annoy me.
Yeah who decided on that? The tank should hold a little OVER a gallon!

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL Rubicon - Black
Occupation
Retired Air Force - Currently in my Dream Job
Try to avoid using RainEx washer fluid the additives tend to gum up the nozzles and pump and can cause premature failure

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
1500 miles and the washer fluid light came on. I’ve used the washer twice since it was delivered so I was curious to know why the light came on. I raised the hood and discovered the cap improperly seated and as a result, left the reservoir open and also nearly empty.

Here’s what the manual says:
Jeep Wrangler JL Windshield washer fluid. E3F53C21-6897-446A-94DE-C731A9C8F308

I went ahead and ordered a 32 oz bottle of the Mopar Washer fluid. The dealership charges $18.15 for the bottle. If not needed right at this minute, it’s easy enough to find online for $6-$10.

The part number is 4318068AC.

Jeep Wrangler JL Windshield washer fluid. FE318700-9AB4-4D42-9C48-A22B671B2DD5

I measured out 16oz and poured it into the reservoir. I then added 3L of water since the solution requires water dilution. Everyone else’s level may vary but mine was fairly empty and I wanted to keep the 1:4 part ratio.

The actual work took just a few minutes. Once filled it was slightly below the cap. And the cap does require a firm push to get it to seal properly.

Yes I could have let the service dept do it and not have paid anything but I didn’t want to leave the vehicle overnight for such a simple service.

And yes, I could have gone to a local store and purchased a generic brand. For my TJ, absolutely. For my JL, I wanted to keep it Mopar.
Sponsored