Windshield washer fluid.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Why would you not use the cold weather compatible washer fluid all seasons?
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@mwilk012

On various vehicle forums, you will see people post that Rainex washer fluid plugged their vehicles nozzles.. posts say Rainex, also, inadvertently mixed with another brand/type caused major plugging issues...

As for the washer fluids that are labeled 32 degrees and below, they are formulated differently then the fluid for above 32 degrees. I guess it is way more alcohol in the 32 and below formula.

Anyway, the 32 degree and below formula/bottle is more harsh on paint, rubber gaskets, etc., so many vehicle owner's say. I think they have a valid point.

With that said in the Winter, I run 32 and below and in Spring, I suction that out and use the 32+ degree Formula. I never use Rainex washer fluid, just the blue color stuff, you find at the Supermarket, Walmart and such.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I just use -20 Napa fluid year round. It's dirt cheap and I go through about a gallon every oil change anyway.

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Wow guess I am lucky we don't see much freezing weather maybe a day or two or while on vacation.. Water hose refill works great to get the swarms of bugs we drive thru at night off.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR

Sponsored

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
I’ve used RainX for probably over 10 years and never had an issue. Water just rolls right off the windshield and I only need to re-apply the actual RainX product probably once or twice a year.

I do however wonder if it is harder on windshield wipers. In my current car I used the factory fluid until it ran out and the wipers seemed to last forever. Once I switched over to RainX it seemed to decrease the life of the wipers. Even if I found out that was true for sure, I’d still opt to trade wiper blade life for RainX’s repelling ability.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I use the -20°F Rain-X (orange color) year round and have for 10 years in various vehicles with zero issues. The low temp stuff has more alcohol in it which helps remove insect splatter better than the higher temp stuff.

Strangely enough, it cannot be sold in Texas due to the VOC being too high, so I typically stock up when I pass through CO/WY/MT.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have to say - we are a bored lot to have 3 pages on windshield washer fluid (including me - I read all 3 pages)...
@Jason Oliver

Yes, bored........me too... I'm spending way to much time on this forum, reading and posting.. Normally, I am on the move and little time to read about friggin windshield washer fluid. FU, Covid....

As for Rainex, windshield washer fluid, I have never used it. Iv'e read good and bad about it.

Note: I have used / do use, Turtle Wax T-477R ICE Spray Wax on my windshield and hatch glass..... and can tell all, it really is worth doing so, especially if you do lots of interstate highway traveling. Water sheds amazingly fast off the windshield and less craps clings to the rear hatch window.

Anyway, I'm to frugal to spend the $ that it costs for Rainex offerings...

I'm the lil ole man that waits til plain jane washer fluid is on sale at $.99 a gallon at the grocery store. Then I buy 6..

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What's your favorite windshield solvent color? :LOL:
@Mikester86

Piss yellow
------------------
Hint: When you are traveling the interstates during Love Bug time , or when bugs are real active, spray Pam Cooking Spray (or generic) on your Wrangler's grill. Bugs will wash off real easy, along with the cooking spray. No work getting the bugs off. No, the cooking spray does not hurt paint or stain bumpers.

Last edited:

Albertaktm

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willys 2 Door Manual.
Occupation
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
@Gron86

In all seriousness, YES, you can have issues in regard to windshield washer fluid.

Guys/gals that live in areas that have below freezing temps in the Winter need to use a windshield washer fluid that is rated for say -20 or -30 degrees. It's important to get the Summer Windshield Washer Fluid that is rated for +32 degrees out of the washer lines when Wintertime comes.
You get the +32 degree stuff out and the -20/-30 degree stuff in. Nowadays you can buy/use fluid that is aok to use for any season. That fluid is usually a tad bit pricier..

Now, for those in states that never see temps, drop below freezing, well they are not faced with the above..

DO KNOW, that you can often get into trouble mixing different types / brands of Windshield Washer Fluid. Mixing the wrong combo can cause blockage in nozzles and in fluid lines... IF you are going to be fooling with different brands, you might be wise to finish up with one and then fill with another... And no, you do not need to use Mopar brand / OEM washer fluid.

Get the above freezing stuff out? That stuff is more designed to clear bug than anything else. It’s still good to -20C. It’s when the outside temp is -20 C and you’re driving at 45-50 mph. Thats when the summer stuff is no good

Albertaktm

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willys 2 Door Manual.
Occupation
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Bugs and summer crap. That is the main reason. Summer stuff gets that off way easier . Summer stuff will still work below freezing. But no the real; cold Canadian, North Dakota mid January winters.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Get the above freezing stuff out? That stuff is more designed to clear bug than anything else. It’s still good to -20C. It’s when the outside temp is -20 C and you’re driving at 45-50 mph. Thats when the summer stuff is no good
You post is a tad hard to understand...

+32 windshield washer fluid will freeze if temps dip below 32 degrees for an extended time frame.

In colder climate areas +32 degree washer fluid will in fact freeze in the wiper hoses and in the windshield washer reservoir.

-20 and -40 windshield fluid is readily available and should be in the windshield washer system in the Wintertime if the vehicle will reside in / or visit locales where temps dip below freezing... below 32 degrees.
Sponsored