Sponsored

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
My 1+ hour drive home last night with heavy snowfall and temps around 9 F, I paid close attention to the defrost situation (I have not done the fix). The edges of the windshield definitely did not clear as easily, or stay cleared as easily, and there was a notable difference in airflow from the defroster between the middle and the driver's side end. Having said that, by simply turning the defroster on high when the edge was starting to ice up, it would clear pretty quickly.

So for me, the problem was more balancing the fan/temp speed to the minimum setting that would keep it clear. I have a crack in the windshield from the top, driver's side corner working its way down to the middle. If I wasn't trying to keep the defroster at a minimum to keep the crack from growing, there wouldn't have been an issue.

The short of it: it's definitely not even in how it functions and could use improvement. But I was able to get and keep the ice off the entire windshield without the fix. I may still end up doing it so that it works better at lower settings, though.
Sponsored

Patriot1776

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willy's in Sarge Green
I received and installed mine today. I only used 10. There are 14 holes across the center of the windshield between the two bars of the middle dash tray. I tried installing 11, but they weren’t centered and my OCD was killing me. I left the middle two holes, then installed 5 plugs, using every other hole to each side.
I'm glad its not just me. I looked at that picture and immediately counted how many I would use to center it

purple haze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Ecodiesel Sport Altitude
Looks like McMaster-carr has 50 of these caps for $8.27. Don't know what the total would be with tax and shipping but its an option for those that want to share.

JLRoachicon

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU RUBICON 2.0 Turbo, 2006 Ducati 999S (RIP)
Vehicle Showcase
Are you missing a button? My dash has the defrost button right next to the stereo volume. I am missing the heated seats and steering wheel buttons.... :(
s-l640.jpg
well, I’ve had my Jeep for 2 years and never used this button, always used the defroster/vent. I’m in central Texas now and we are in freezing temps. I used this button for the first time and what a difference.
Thanks Hounddog!
I was going to order the caps but it works great without now.

Sponsored

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
anyone know the link for the smaller packs? the larger is U/A now.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

Sponsored

maddscot

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited
Have not had the need for the defrost (via Climate selection or Defrost button) much here in Texas with the exception of some post hockey players in the Jeep on a chilly eve riding home. Well HELLO 2021! We get slammed with snow, record low 0' temps, frozen pipes, power outages all in two days.
Growing up back east, we used the glove/towel trick and I have done the same with the Jeep to get the sides cleared up, once cleared up all is good. I do notice the "hand test" as many have stated and ordered these plugs, seems harmless and worth the spend (compared to many of the other mods we do). So thanks @1JeepDad for the easy mod and idea!

PS - unlike many in Texas, me and my family are lucky as no power outages, house or pool issues, but housing a few friends and family without power and open for a hot cup of joe or tea to warm ya' up.

OP
OP
1JeepDad

1JeepDad

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Sarge Green
Have not had the need for the defrost (via Climate selection or Defrost button) much here in Texas with the exception of some post hockey players in the Jeep on a chilly eve riding home. Well HELLO 2021! We get slammed with snow, record low 0' temps, frozen pipes, power outages all in two days.
Growing up back east, we used the glove/towel trick and I have done the same with the Jeep to get the sides cleared up, once cleared up all is good. I do notice the "hand test" as many have stated and ordered these plugs, seems harmless and worth the spend (compared to many of the other mods we do). So thanks @1JeepDad for the easy mod and idea!

PS - unlike many in Texas, me and my family are lucky as no power outages, house or pool issues, but housing a few friends and family without power and open for a hot cup of joe or tea to warm ya' up.
You're welcome and enjoy a clear and warm windshield!! Cheap and easy fix

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Ordered those plugs. I have also noticed that the defroster is not the best.
On that note, I wish that Jeep would take a cue from Volvo. The V90 we got rid of had heated wiper fluid that sprayed at the wipers themselves and not from under 1 foot of snow in the middle of the hood.
Seriously... how much more could it possibly cost to move the hoses to the wiper arms and add a heater?

RetCop402

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Gladiator Star Edition
I live in South East Indiana, even with the windshield defrost button engaged I still get frost in the lower corners of the windshield!

Captain Skip

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Happily retired
I wanted to verify for those of us struggling to defrost our windshields that this fix really does work. I ordered the 5/8 tubbing plug caps and plugged every other hole in the center portion. Now, the outer portion blows air equally like the center portion! Pics for reference and super easy! Thank you to everyone that has posted this fix, as a new jeeper, really appreciate it!

20210210_160600.jpg
As I understand it, the black plugs go into the vent openings. But, what's the deal with the long black strip you have on top of it? Is that something you bought or made?
Sponsored