Which Trail App?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I appologize up front for failing the search test. I know it's probably been beat like a redheaded stepchild. But, which trail app and why? I've poked around with AllTrails and Trailsoffroad.
Sponsored

Reactions: J0E

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
I went with OnXOffroad only because I got 3 months free with Jeep Wave and I'm generally a cheap bastard... :)

Zissou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 392, 21 BMW M2 competition, 11 Subaru STi
I went with OnXOffroad only because I got 3 months free with Jeep Wave and I'm generally a cheap bastard... :)
How are you liking that? With tread lightly I can get a year for $5.
My friends that hunt love onX hunting maps.

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
I use OnX. After the free Jeep trial I got a year for $5 through Tread Lightly. Chose strictly on price since I am also a frugal SOB. I like it but when I’m in Arizona and Moab I strictly use FunTreks guides.

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe
I appologize up front for failing the search test. I know it's probably been beat like a redheaded stepchild. But, which trail app and why? I've poked around with AllTrails and Trailsoffroad.
Since you mentioned it, I actually have a redheaded stepchild...

Sponsored

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
I'll say it's not the most intuitive thing to figure out so I'm still noodling around with it. But I was able to transfer the Google map I made for our upcoming road trip into OnX so now I can see trails and BLM areas that weren't visible via Google. And OnX's 3-D view is pretty cool when it comes to checking out mesas.

bthomp

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon, 2010 Wrangler X, 2014 Mustang GT
Occupation
IT Ops / BizOps
Clubs

I started with AllTrails but switched to TrailsOffRoad. Much richer feature set. The ability to download all maps a state at a time instead of individual trails, has great trail details and waypoints, lots of detailed photos, map view is much better, very active development and user community. overall they are a better company in my view. The downside with TOR is that its focus is purely off-roading / camping (but that’s also why it’s a better app for off roading). If you’re looking for hiking paths, this is not the right app.

LJandJL

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2024 JL 4xe Rubicon
I prefer Gaia GPS. Has something like 250 different types of maps, including numerous topo maps, which you can overlay. Can use for hiking or offroading. I offroad in areas without cell service and this app allows me to download a very large area beforehand.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
We use OnX, the offline download has been more reliable recently. CarPlay was the big thing for us so we don’t have to run a tablet.

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I started with AllTrails but switched to TrailsOffRoad. Much richer feature set. The ability to download all maps a state at a time instead of individual trails, has great trail details and waypoints, lots of detailed photos, map view is much better, very active development and user community. overall they are a better company in my view. The downside with TOR is that its focus is purely off-roading / camping (but that’s also why it’s a better app for off roading). If you’re looking for hiking paths, this is not the right app.
This morning I was reading AllTrails and TrailsOffRoad and saw where TrailsOffRoad users have posted details down to tire placement in a couple of the most challenging obstacles for the trail I'm planning to run. Very deep insight. đź‘Ť I think TOR is my app.

Sponsored

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I'm loving Gaia Premium. I'm amazed at all of the different map overlays and info within. It is $40/yr subscription though.

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I use a combo of Gaia, alltrails, onX, and Google maps. Just kinda depends on the area and who has the most recent/pertinent info for me. I use almost all of those for hiking as well except for onX, so I’m used to it

Reactions: J0E

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I like GAIA maps, I haven't tried any others.

A lot of places where I go might not even be considered named trails so I mostly just need maps and I like using GAIA maps. I will map out routes ahead of time and put routes and waypoints on my map. And I rarely have cell signal so I download maps ahead of time. I started using GAIA before OnX got popular. I've done the searching and found that some people thought GAIA was better, some people thought they were equal.

But I'm starting to think that there would be some advantage to something like TOR for occasions when I want to have more route information for actual trails. I'm reluctant to pay for another service right now. If I'm running major trails it doesn't seem to be necessary to have additional information but some day I'll run out of those and I'll need a way to find more trails.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I've been using OnX for almost three years. It has a crapload of trail details and is great for recording your runs so you know exactly where you've been.

It sucks, however, in being able to see the big picture. The details are overwhelming, so it's not very useful when doing something basic like trying to figure out what trails to run on the weekend or to figure out where they are relative to highways.

I've recently started using TrailsOffRoad. It focuses on the more significant trails so you're not overwhelmed with the details that you probably don't care about when trying to decide what part of the state to head to.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I've been using OnX for almost three years. It has a crapload of trail details and is great for recording your runs so you know exactly where you've been.

It sucks, however, in being able to see the big picture. The details are overwhelming, so it's not very useful when doing something basic like trying to figure out what trails to run on the weekend or to figure out where they are relative to highways.

I've recently started using TrailsOffRoad. It focuses on the more significant trails so you're not overwhelmed with the details that you probably don't care about when trying to decide what part of the state to head to.
Is the ToR CarPlay interface pretty good?
Sponsored