Sponsored

Which powertrain would you get?

Which engine would you order?

• Total voters

Deleted member 59498

The stops only limit uptravel.
Yeah just looked like his right wheel had traveled a good deal more than 2 inches but guess that could be anything from lift or just hell of a lot of pressure on the stop.

bondijoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe - Sarge Green
You have good taste in color. I have to say I really like my 4xe, hope it proves reliable over the long-term but for now it’s quick and quiet and fun to drive. Driving electric with top open (highly recommend sky one touch) is great.

E07B8CB5-7490-46E4-9156-1DD9FD9D189E.jpeg

Marine2146

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Grand Wagoneer 3 series, 2022 Rubicon 392
Questions for EcoDiesel owners:
  1. Have you had any issues taking your JL off-road with those giant bumpstops?
  2. Does the Mopar lift get rid of the bumpstops or they remain?
If you plan on running a lift on the eco diesel you could probably get by without adding front bump stop extensions unless your having tire clearance issues.

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
You have good taste in color. I have to say I really like my 4xe, hope it proves reliable over the long-term but for now it’s quick and quiet and fun to drive. Driving electric with top open (highly recommend sky one touch) is great.

E07B8CB5-7490-46E4-9156-1DD9FD9D189E.jpeg
Gorgeous Sahara!

Sarge + Saddle: Love that combo!

Sponsored

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting fact: a High Altitude EcoDiesel actually costs less than a comparably equipped Sahara EcoDiesel.

Unfortunately, High Altitude is now only available in two colors: black or white.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
I can't vote because the vote is skewed to only 3 options. What about the 2.0 and 392?

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Please educate yourselves on the 4xe before you discount it. It's not a Tesla. It does not have to be plugged in for hours. It can run strictly on gasoline. It doesn't have the ESS lag of the V-6 and it always has more torque than the diesel. I've seen so many mis-informed comments on here, it's crazy.

Sponsored

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

Beetroot

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Medical Devices
Please educate yourselves on the 4xe before you discount it. It's not a Tesla. It does not have to be plugged in for hours. It can run strictly on gasoline. It doesn't have the ESS lag of the V-6 and it always has more torque than the diesel. I've seen so many mis-informed comments on here, it's crazy.
Totally agree.

Also even if you never plug in, it will still work as a normal hybrid. The battery will still hold charge from regen and you will benefit from that. It's never dead weight.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
^yeah actually I skipped pages 2 and 3 of this thread to say that. I’m not a diesel expert but everything I’ve read about them suggests that if you mainly just make short commutes, it’s probably better to avoid the diesel. Short trips don’t allow it to get to the temperature it needs to go through it’s PMS cycle or whatever modern diesels have to do nowadays to keep themselves clean... you know, down there. I actually have a good buddy at work who has more experience building jeeps than 99% of us (he owns a shop and has been building jeeps for high paying customers for decades) - and he chose the diesel specifically because he has a long commute and it’s perfect for that.

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
To make a long story short, Vroom is now offering for my 2018 Sahara with 8,000 miles $3,000 more than it did back in June. I am seriously tempted to sell it and order a 2022.

I am looking at a fully-loaded Sahara in Sarge green with Saddle leather and automatic transmission. But I keep going back and forth on which engine to get.

I started my build with an EcoDiesel: it looks great on paper -> 400+ lbs of torque, 28 MPG, front and rear D44, 3.73 gears. But I have been reading that it feels front-heavy, is a chore to maintain, those humongous bumpstops limit articulation and, less face it, it has a less-than-stellar reliability record.

The eTorque V6 is grossly underrated IMO, Jeep did a terrible job marketing it, but those who own it seem to love it. Also, the V6 would allow me to get the Selec-Trac, which is a big plus. The V6 is unsexy but proven.

I considered the 4Xe, too; the all-electric mode would be perfect for my short daily drives. But I am not sold on relying only on the 2.0T on longer trips to say, Death Valley, hauling that massive, heavy battery under the rear seat dead for hundreds of miles without a place to charge it. There are also some ordering/pricing restrictions on 4Xe at the moment.

If you had a chance to order a 2022, which powertrain would you get and why?

Please don't forget to cast your vote.
Choices, Choices, Choices! it is a tough call. For me, the V6 non eTorque was the way to go. First, I wanted to get a manual trans Jeep just like my first Jeep 21 years ago. I also didn't want the eTorque system. I just don't trust FCA with any electrical or hybrid stuff. They have an inconsistent quality, especially in the area of electronics. So I also avoided all the electronic nannies like lane keep assist and front collision warning, etc. If I didn't have three naughty kids, I would have just gotten a straight-up no-frills Willys Sport with manual everything but I needed to have power windows and door locks for safety in case a kid decided to roll down the windows or unlock the doors on the highway. I like the Pentastar V6 as I have had a 2015 Chrysler 300 for 6 years without any issues whatsoever. I read that some people were able to order their Jeeps with automatics but avoid the eTorque version so if you can get an auto with the regular v6, I'd say do it. The four-cylinder is more fun and is torquey but it is an Italian engine so I worry about long-term durability. And I'm not talking 20K or 30K. I'm talking 80K - 100K range. The Diesel is just too complex with so many electronics and sensors and it is Italian as well so I don't want to deal with it.

deserteagle56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon
If you drive alot of short 1 to 5 mile trips,is that hard on a diesel?
Yes. The newer diesels (those with all the new emissions equipment on them) need to be run hot to keep the emissions systems clean and happy. The hotter the engine runs the more soot is burned off before it gets into all the emissions stuff that's supposed to collect it and then burn it off. If you've never driven diesels before, most of them take a long time, compared to a gas engine, to even get up to operating temperature. So short trips mean the engine would never even get to operating temperature, quickly clogging up the emissions equipment. The owner's manual for my big Kubota tractor specifically warns against letting the engine idle a lot. Running a diesel hard is the best thing for it - those that are run hard so they get and stay hot, hardly ever need to go through a regeneration cycle.
Sponsored