When will Flat Black go away

vegasblue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Can't say I'm a fan of flat black on vehicles. Looks like it's primered and ready for paint. I have no experience other than what I have seen, but you better be good at cleaning it and getting any oils off of it. Looks cheap as hell if not flawless. There's a gentleman here with a flat black Bentley. Looks like he borrowed it from a chop shop. I don't mind a chrome accent here or there and did consider silver wheels. I thought better of it as my wheels play kissy face with rocks and get scratched. THEN, I have CHROME accents....on ma wheels. :angel: Last vehicle was bronze. Got old. I do have a lot of gold zinc underneath tho!
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Haha this place is boomer central
I bet there are undercover Gen X, Y, Z and even possibly a Millennial lurking. ;)OK , maybe not a Millennial. They are probably playing video games in the basement or trying to get "LIKES" on social media. :LOL:

Last edited:

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I bet there are undercover Gen X, Y, Z and even possibly a Millennial lurking. ;)OK , maybe not a Millennial. They are probably playing video games in the basement or trying to get "LIKES" on social media. :LOL:
...isn't this social media? With a "like" button?

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I think that the reason black became the norm on Jeeps is because it's functional. We're men. Men are typically function over form types of people.

Not if, but when you scratch or damage wheels or bumpers or other parts on your Jeep that are black, you can quickly and inexpensively repaint it yourself at home. If your wheels or bumpers are chrome or machined and you tear up the finish, you're looking at big $$$ to make it right again.

I rock rashed the heck out of some expensive KMC wheels on my UTV last year, and all I did was clean them down and hit them gently with a rattle can and from 10 feet away you'd never know they were damaged. That's why black is king.

"Chrome won't get you home." That's also a good motto.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I am a huge fan of the original Schwinn Orange Krate, Apple Krate, Lemon Peeler, and especially the Grey Ghost.
Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 10.59.58 PM.png
I remember the Krates selling for $100-$125 back then. Which was a lot for a kids bike back then. That Gray Ghost and original Krates are probably worth $3K-$4K today?
Depending on condition, yes, those valuations aren't far off the mark.

A family member owns the entire line of Krates, with some redundancy (IIRC, at least two Apple Krates are part of the collection.) He's accumulated a nice assortment of used and NOS parts, also, like the unobtanium turn signal accessory. The crown jewel is the Gray Ghost, if only because of its rarity.

Sponsored

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Just another "old man" hoping the "black out" fad goes the way of the dinosaurs. The worst IMO are black wheels, nothing looks worse on a vehicle than black wheels and it is difficult to find aftermarket wheels that are not either all black or mostly black.

Morris4x4

First Name
Morris 4x4
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.morris4x4center.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, '13 JK
Just another "old man" hoping the "black out" fad goes the way of the dinosaurs. The worst IMO are black wheels, nothing looks worse on a vehicle than black wheels and it is difficult to find aftermarket wheels that are not either all black or mostly black.
🤔🤔🤔 These links might help that search
https://www.morris4x4center.com/jee...ray--polished--silver.htm?multi=true&onSale=1
https://www.kmcwheels.com/wheels/performance?predominant_color=4367,4364
https://www.methodracewheels.com/collections/all
And everyone's favorite wheels hahha https://www.americanforce.com/forged-wheels/single-rear-wheel/super-single

-Julia

Morris4x4

First Name
Morris 4x4
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.morris4x4center.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, '13 JK
I think that the reason black became the norm on Jeeps is because it's functional. We're men. Men are typically function over form types of people.

Not if, but when you scratch or damage wheels or bumpers or other parts on your Jeep that are black, you can quickly and inexpensively repaint it yourself at home. If your wheels or bumpers are chrome or machined and you tear up the finish, you're looking at big $$$ to make it right again.

I rock rashed the heck out of some expensive KMC wheels on my UTV last year, and all I did was clean them down and hit them gently with a rattle can and from 10 feet away you'd never know they were damaged. That's why black is king.

"Chrome won't get you home." That's also a good motto.
And lassies WITH black wheels because well, chrome would not look good on mine 🤪

Jeep Wrangler JL When will Flat Black go away 1635948867088

OP
OP
Trainman

Trainman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Willys 2dr

Sponsored

AG’s ‘ 21 Jeep Wrangler

First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Being an old guy and growing up in the Chrome world of the 50's and 60's I pretty much tired of everything being flat black. For me it the cheaper way to go for the manufactures and all things being vehicle related, wheels, accessories, and body trim being what I dislike the most. I want my new 2022 Jeep to have chrome reversed wheels and have that look of the past, OH, I'm a street cruiser and not too much an off roader. OK, I look at a Jeep as a TOY and a fun machine to cruise on the street of Ft. Worth at nights and the bright lights just really make the Jeep stand out. Coming from the motorcycle world where chrome is king I guess I still love the look of it and the sparkle it gives to your ride, so for me the Jeep is no different. I guess it's just a matter of time as everything changes, what will it be next, who knows. This post is not to take away from flat black as a color, some vehicles really look good, but everything in flat black is taking over the world and it is the cheapest spray paint you can buy at Home Depot, $3.50 per can.
I love flat black!

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Depending on condition, yes, those valuations aren't far off the mark.

A family member owns the entire line of Krates, with some redundancy (IIRC, at least two Apple Krates are part of the collection.) He's accumulated a nice assortment of used and NOS parts, also, like the unobtanium turn signal accessory. The crown jewel is the Gray Ghost, if only because of its rarity.
Very cool bikes when I was a kid and very cool today as a collectable.

Those bikes were expensive so I never owned one. One of my close friend's father worked at Schwinn and he had a Orange Krate with the turn-signal light. It had left and right arrows. His brother had a Gray Ghost.

OP
OP
Trainman

Trainman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Willys 2dr
I think when you offer a new vehicle with black tops and fenders as the standard colors and painted fenders and tops are only offered on a few models and only on the upper priced models black becomes the normal. I would say that 90% of new Jeeps on dealer lots fit this bill, so black will be king as long as Jeep doesn't offer colors as standard equipment. Both my new Ram and Lexus have chrome wheels and some chrome trim on the vehicles, which I like, just looks classy over too much black. Since I will be ordering a new 2022 Willys Sport with only A/C as a option a stripper model and I will be getting it with all black trim, wheels, fenders, top, grille, and just about everything else black. I guess I can get some chrome wheels later and keep the look in the family. If I go with chrome wheels the Willys decal on the hood will come off and the Islander decals will go on and become a street and beach cruiser.

Morris4x4

First Name
Morris 4x4
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.morris4x4center.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, '13 JK
Millennials are GenY 😂

-Julia (a Millennial)

Mack Daddy

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon 2 door
Chrome might not get you home but black won't get you back.
Sponsored