When will Flat Black go away

Trainman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Willys 2dr
Being an old guy and growing up in the Chrome world of the 50's and 60's I pretty much tired of everything being flat black. For me it the cheaper way to go for the manufactures and all things being vehicle related, wheels, accessories, and body trim being what I dislike the most. I want my new 2022 Jeep to have chrome reversed wheels and have that look of the past, OH, I'm a street cruiser and not too much an off roader. OK, I look at a Jeep as a TOY and a fun machine to cruise on the street of Ft. Worth at nights and the bright lights just really make the Jeep stand out. Coming from the motorcycle world where chrome is king I guess I still love the look of it and the sparkle it gives to your ride, so for me the Jeep is no different. I guess it's just a matter of time as everything changes, what will it be next, who knows. This post is not to take away from flat black as a color, some vehicles really look good, but everything in flat black is taking over the world and it is the cheapest spray paint you can buy at Home Depot, $3.50 per can.
Sponsored

Walker Texas Wrangler

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hamburgsolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Rubicon, Previous: '99 TJ Sahara
Build Thread
Link
I like chrome too (and flat black). But chromed plastic is crap. There's so much plastic used in the manufacturing process now-a-days that good quality chromed metal is few and far between. Plus it's a lot heavier and more expensive to produce. But I'm with you. Everything comes and goes. Flat black has been pretty prevalent for about 15 years. It's about time for chrome to make a come back, but there's more hurdles (and cost) involved now.

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
The Sahara line is all silver wheels and I like them better vs. the black wheel options. While these didn't do much for me when I was playing around with the online model builder, I will admit they get my attention when I see them all cleaned up and rolling in the real world. They remind of the Matchbox Jeeps I used to play with when I was a kid.

Jeep Wrangler JL When will Flat Black go away 1635773093444

But I also feel your pain - if you don't like everything being black, the Willys is a tough trim level to work with.

Sponsored

JMRM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Islander
I'd be happy if regular silver wheels made a comeback. Jeep feels compelled to add black/gunmetal/bronze to practically all the JL wheel options.

Yet the all-silver wheels on the Islander look so nice...
Jeep Wrangler JL When will Flat Black go away 1635773093444
Agree! The wheels on my daughter’s Islander are the nicest offered by Jeep in my opinion. Even with non-Jeeps the whole black looks-like-four-spare-tires fad can’t end quick enough for me.

Uncommon Sense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray '22 392XR
I don't see traditional chrome making a come back anytime soon. However, I think the blacked out look is definitely getting played (depends on car). I am seeing more bronze and flat / matte colors on wheels now.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Chrome has become very expensive due to the regulations and fines on the companies that still do it. It’s a very toxic process.

Remember in the early 2000s when most of the wheel manufacturing when to China? A great many of those chrome wheels cracked and peeled due to poor QC. The wheel manufactures then began to market black.

The OEMs don’t use chrome anymore. On plastic it’s Mylar and on metal it’s PVD, which is a coating that resembles chrome but it has issues.

My 2016 Road Glide had a lot of chrome, but just about every piece that was chrome plated came from China, that’s the factory installed parts too. Today, many Harleys have blacked out trim.

There are still chrome wheels out there, you have to look for them though. If you want chrome reverse wheels, check out Stockton Wheel. They should have then still.

omega145

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
Occupation
Engineer
I really dislike chrome accents and would rather them be flat black instead of chrome. You can still mod your Jeep with fake chrome accents and flame stripes from Autozone if that's your thing.

Sponsored

Morris4x4

First Name
Morris 4x4
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.morris4x4center.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, '13 JK
In my opinion, it can stay. There are still chrome aftermarket options for those interested but I just cant see chrome being good on the trails. Mentally I picture my uncles 69' superbee as well as other show vehicles being the only acceptable forum of chrome being used. Plus I think the thing that leaves such a sour taste in my mouth is that those who do chrome overdo it. Sure, wheels are fine when accented with a good body color but then some add chrome mirrors, grilles, fenders, rock rails, etc and it just becomes a driveable mirror.

-Julia

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The Sahara line is all silver wheels and I like them better vs. the black wheel options. While these didn't do much for me when I was playing around with the online model builder, I will admit they get my attention when I see them all cleaned up and rolling in the real world. They remind of the Matchbox Jeeps I used to play with when I was a kid.

1635773093444.png

But I also feel your pain - if you don't like everything being black, the Willys is a tough trim level to work with.
I agree. I never paid much attention to the stock Sahara wheels, until I put some meatier tires around them.

It is a great looking wheel once you get some meatier rubber on them. The level of craftsmanship, especially of the machined finish, is just awesome.

Jeep Wrangler JL When will Flat Black go away 23165D03-CF59-46AE-BDBA-FA151821CE62

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Anyone remember the CJs that guys would “customize”? They’d put chrome grills, roll bars, KCs, tube bumpers (man I hated those), mirrors, wheels even dashboards, steering wheels and hood hinges. That was cheap aftermarket stuff the flash rusted within a year.

Oh lets not forget the chrome or diamond aluminum rocker guards and rear tub corner guards. Chrome mesh on the headlights and tail lights. Chrome diff covers. The worst thing? A chrome windshield frame. I’ve seen CJs festooned with all of that crap.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The one piece of “chrome” I do like on Wranglers is the grille. I wish Mopar offered it on JL.

Jeep Wrangler JL When will Flat Black go away 1635777617503

Jeep Wrangler JL When will Flat Black go away 1635777706216

Jeep Wrangler JL When will Flat Black go away 1635777760185

Jeep Wrangler JL When will Flat Black go away 1635777819218

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
I've never been a fan of the Wrangler's flat-black fenders and tops, but don't really mind it too much on the bumpers, rails and even wheels. Not really a fan of the fake chrome-over-plastic look either, other than on nameplates. Imo, any trim accents not matching the body color should be used sparingly.
Sponsored