Sponsored

Using a Rubicon as a daily driver

RubiconGaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon granite, 2006 Rubicon beige, 1995 green Sahara, 1995 Sport aqua with splash (hers), 1995 Sahara beige (his). 2005 liberty and 2006 grand Cherokee limited
Vehicle Showcase
I had a Sahara jk and recently bought a JL Ruby, it is better in every way including as a daily driver. You will love it.
I drive my JL 2.0 Turbo Ruby as a DD and love it! Best of both worlds
Sponsored

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
Don't swap out the tires. Even the stock tires are fine. I've got 315/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on mine (2.0/8speed) and it's a great DD from a ride perspective, in the context of a Jeep. There's always better commuters for fuel economy and comfort and etc. If you want to drive a Jeep Wrangler, and you want to DD it, the JL is fine. Get a 2.0, the power difference is very noticeable on the street.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Don't swap out the tires. Even the stock tires are fine. I've got 315/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on mine (2.0/8speed) and it's a great DD from a ride perspective, in the context of a Jeep. There's always better commuters for fuel economy and comfort and etc. If you want to drive a Jeep Wrangler, and you want to DD it, the JL is fine. Get a 2.0, the power difference is very noticeable on the street.
I know this is totally subjective but How noticeable would you say it is?

Deleted member 59098

I daily drive my 2 door. Pretty much the reason I bought it was to daily and travel long distance to wheel. It’s also my regular vehicle for going between the Bay Area and Tahoe. It’s a fine daily driver, not really fuel efficient and definitely not a sports car, I still really enjoy it though.

Sponsored

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
Hey guys,

I plan on ordering a 2019 Rubicon in a few months, and also plan on using it as a daily driver...

I do understand that Rubicon is made for off-roading, but do you guys think I can purchase "less" rugged tires and swap my Rubi tires out with them?
May I add that driving Wrangler daily may have potentially some very negative or positive effects on one's life . I personally stopped working overtime and instead I'll take the longcut driving back home . I do my shopping more frequently so I can warm up the engine at least one more time in the evening and actually right now I am in process of getting to know much better very attractive lady , she lives about 60 miles outside the town and that's exactly what I was hoping for. Finally I'll be able to warm up the engine for even longer and more frequently. Driving a Jeep can be real fun and it's suitabale for teens just as it is an excellent lifestyle for the rest of us.

Last edited:

Cuyose

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Data Analyst
I daily drive mine and one of the first trips was moving from Seattle to the Black hills in SD, I did 2 round trips, and it was great, all within 500 miles of purchase. I came from a Mazda CX-5, which is known for its handling and drivability. The Jeep definitely isn't that, but its totally comfortable, the Rubi with the Alpine has a great sound system, and the wind noise, while being greater than other cars, is fine. Its a Jeep. When the weekends come, you can ditch the top and doors and go play. Try that with any other vehicle!

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
My JLUR is a winter/precipitation DD. For any considering it, I love it. That being said, my wife has back injuries from her military service and can barely stand it. I have similar injuries, but do fine in the driver’s seat.
The 2-door was another animal entirely for me during test drive. I loved it, but feel over time it would wear on me. I also loved the mitsubishi mirage hatchback with 5 speed M/T, but hesitated for similar reasons when I was shopping for a highway commuter.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I daily drive my Rubicon, so I've built it up to a happy balance point of enhanced off road capability while still being great on the road. In fact, it's considerably better now as far as overall ride and handling.
Jeep Wrangler JL Using a Rubicon as a daily driver 20200823_013328

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
My wife’s Sahara and my built Sport ride identical, both very comfortable on the road for daily driving. I have had two back surgeries and titanium in my spine and they are both completely comfortable, on and off road.

Sponsored

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
My wife's Recon is her DD. She has yet to take it off-road but that's not why she bought it. Except for a few personalized magnets on the tailgate its exactly how it was when it rolled off the Toledo assembly line. It's a 2.0L turbo and she gets 22 mpg as a DD, about 5 mpg better than her old 3.6L JK Sahara.

Stefano5777

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vm.tiktok.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Stingray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I DD my Rubicon about 25 miles a day with at least one wheeling trip a month that is a minimum of 100+ miles away round trip as I live in a heavily populated part of Florida and have no issues with it. I love the fact that for the first time ever I'm not looking for a new vehicle after six months of purchase!
Sponsored