Under Hood Heat

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Love the NASA link! The AEV hood looks legit, but no JL application yet.
ya it’s pretty nice. I read folks that have it in colder areas gripe about snow and ice collecting there and that it’s hard to get out easily.It’s always something ;)

Speaking of, I saw you’re an old Army dawg. I was USMC 91-97 so I guess we need to start arguing all the time. Just make sure you use small words when picking on me, you know jarheads have a hard time keeping up!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bad Scott

Bad Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
He’s running with me tomorrow, I can’t promise anything..lol....... Oh , just so I’m not accused of hijacking....... if guys wanna make this a big deal, knock yourself out, but until I see more than one instance of catastrophic failure do to engine heat, I’m gonna carry on as is, and choose not to buy the snake oil this time, lol. Go drive a 70s Vette with a 454, there’s some heat.....But opinions vary, and this is just mine....Some of these vents do look cool though.....;).
Luv your profile pic Roky!

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
He’s running with me tomorrow, I can’t promise anything..lol....... Oh , just so I’m not accused of hijacking....... if guys wanna make this a big deal, knock yourself out, but until I see more than one instance of catastrophic failure do to engine heat, I’m gonna carry on as is, and choose not to buy the snake oil this time, lol. Go drive a 70s Vette with a 454, there’s some heat.....But opinions vary, and this is just mine....Some of these vents do look cool though.....;).
I will send you some Snake oil on the house!!! 😎 :LOL:
Jeep Wrangler JL Under Hood Heat 1630695666530

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bad Scott

Bad Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't tell him that. Hell he can't keep his Jelly on his biscuits as it is.

Don't tell him that. Hell he can't keep his Jelly on his biscuits as it is.

Jeep Wrangler JL Under Hood Heat Jelly Biscuit
Looks tasty!

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

TOTL Innovations

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.totlinnovations.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK
Mopars(CAI) true outside air intake, on the side of the hood, does not force rain along with air into the air filter box. Our Wranglers do not benefit from a forward facing air intake (ram air) like a jet engine. SBT hood scoops look cool but like Lee Iacocca said, are designed for looks.
Lee hasnt been around for almost 3 decades. Quite a lot has changed. Engines are producing more power on average now. More power requires more air and leads to more heat. There are multiple OEMs making factory true ram air intake hoods. Chevy/GMC HD diesels for example get half of their air from that hood scoop according to GM.

Any vehicle can benefit from an abundance of clean cool air to the intake. Wranglers are no exception.

I think we both agree on the merits of heat dissipation or else you wouldn't have angled your hood like you did.

Last edited:

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Jeff, I used to work in Sarasota. I'm an Army veteran as well.
Hooah, Scott! Do you live in one of the new Parrish developments on 301?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bad Scott

Bad Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ya it’s pretty nice. I read folks that have it in colder areas gripe about snow and ice collecting there and that it’s hard to get out easily.It’s always something ;)

Speaking of, I saw you’re an old Army dawg. I was USMC 91-97 so I guess we need to start arguing all the time. Just make sure you use small words when picking on me, you know jarheads have a hard time keeping up!
Yep, 6 years in the Army National Guard as an MP.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
So I decided to get sciency this morning and taped a bunch of yarn to the hood a la NASA style:
Jeep Wrangler JL Under Hood Heat 198558AB-6D4E-49C2-92AC-9B43022A921C

Then took it for a spin down a backroad to see what happened:

It appears the center yarns are going directly at the windshield, the edge most ones are at a bit of an angle to the direction of travel, and the vent ones are even more so at an angle. My thoughts on that is there IS air coming up and out and the lowest pressure direction for it to escape is out to the sides.

Interestingly, ALL of the yarns nearest the windshield pushed down into the engine compartment which might be an indication that elevating the rear of the hood is allowing higher pressure air from the windshield to push into the engine compartment rather than allowing hot air to escape. Edit: the one that isn’t going down I pulled out to “restart the test” before I registered it was all of them like that.
Jeep Wrangler JL Under Hood Heat 94618B1F-8C1C-4405-8F11-3E60F36C9D84

After we got the fan spinning at takeoff speeds, the yarn stayed laying down on the vents. I could feel air coming out though and wanted a better idea of how much. Jarhead mentality, if you can’t break it, light it on fire:

There is noticeably more airflow on the passenger side and I suspect (on a 2.0T at least) this is because it is alot more cramped on that side than the driver side.

My theory is the fan brings air in, and it rides along the underside of the hood and out the vent because it can’t escape down as easily. This may also be why our batteries have such a short life expectancy. If you want to cook hot dogs on your motor, on top of the battery is probably a good place.