Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
HUGE “like” to this post! My experience in Florida heat and water is the same. Another concern I have, which stops me from cutting the hood under my Rubicon hood vents, is a bow wave washing over the hood when entering a water crossing with speed and momentum. Besides, as previously stated, my 2.0T ALWAYS operates within normal temperature limits during blazing-hot Florida summer weather.
Stay out of those deep swamps with that new Rubi. Ya'll hear. 🤠:rock:
Sponsored

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
I am not a mechanical engineer, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn, so I am not gonna throw out an unsubstantiated opinion on the heat capacity of the sound surpression mat on the underside of the hood......BUT I will say that SBT has a hood scoop solution that cold solve the problem and it has plugs for those concerned about water intrusion......pair it with their Cold Air Intake and it could be a slick solution for those with $700 burning a hole in their pocket.

Check it out SBT Hood Scoop

Cheaper than a 392 Hood.....and almost as cool (kinda).
Oh, so you mean these? See attached. I’ve had them since 2019, absolutely love them.

4A64E625-A286-4373-B7FB-279FD928DDFE.jpeg

7B5416A4-D958-425D-9B51-90836B69F800.jpeg

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I remember a video of Lee Iacocca responding to questions of front scoops and him saying they add noting and are for looks. He was known as the king of scoops and trunk spoilers.
Not once in my 50+ years of automotive hobby have I ever heard or seen hood paint damage due to not having a under hood liner. Many vehicles did not come with liners. 50's and early 60's British, German and Italian sports cars had none. Same with trucks, Jeeps, Land Crusiers, IH Scouts and early Broncos. Why, sound wasn't a concern.

Last edited:

R00STER

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.6L - 6sp
Oh, so you mean these? See attached. I’ve had them since 2019, absolutely love them.

Jeep Wrangler JL Under Hood Heat 7B5416A4-D958-425D-9B51-90836B69F800

Jeep Wrangler JL Under Hood Heat 7B5416A4-D958-425D-9B51-90836B69F800
Looks bad-ass!

I don't want to hi-jack this thread, but i would love to hear your thoughts on this unit. I have watched the videos and reviewed the data, but I would like a real forum member review whether it improves HP and how bad the water intrusion is if you don't use the plugs (cause i will lose those things in the first week).

Sponsored

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
I am not a mechanical engineer, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn, so I am not gonna throw out an unsubstantiated opinion on the heat capacity of the sound surpression mat on the underside of the hood......BUT I will say that SBT has a hood scoop solution that cold solve the problem and it has plugs for those concerned about water intrusion......pair it with their Cold Air Intake and it could be a slick solution for those with $700 burning a hole in their pocket.

Check it out SBT Hood Scoop

Cheaper than a 392 Hood.....and almost as cool (kinda).
I was thinking about this whole system. I live in Florida and am concerned about water intrusion. My question is, are they manual plugs? If I'm driving home from somewhere and that gnarly afternoon driving rain torrential downpour starts, I'm likely not pulling over to put plugs in. I wish there was a drainage system on it. For me that would seal the deal.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I remember a video of Lee Iacocca responding to questions of front scoops and him saying they add noting and are for looks. He was known as the king of scoops and trunk spoilers.
Not once in my 50+ years of automotive hobby have I ever heard or seen hood paint damaged due to no liner. Many vehicles did not come with liners. 50' and early 60's British, German and Italian sports cars had none. Same with trucks, Jeeps, Land Crusiers, IH Scouts and early Broncos. Why, sound wasn't a concern.
You're absolutely right, brother!! Paint is originally baked at close to 400 degrees at the factory.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Looks bad-ass!

I don't want to hi-jack this thread, but i would love to hear your thoughts on this unit. I have watched the videos and reviewed the data, but I would like a real forum member review whether it improves HP and how bad the water intrusion is if you don't use the plugs (cause i will lose those things in the first week).
Before I installed the forward looking SBC scoops I opened up the standard vents and you could see the heat rise from both when you parked. The vehicle seemed to run at the same temperature but cooled down faster when parked. The scoops did nothing for performance and never leaked any water in, including from car washes! If it sat in heavy snow it would melt and run in, but short of that...I didn't see any moisture.

Sorry for the picture of my sports car, my fingers stuttered!

Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Before I installed the forward looking SBC scoops I opened up the standard vents and you could see the heat rise from both when you parked. The vehicle seemed to run at the same temperature but cooled down faster when parked. The scoops did nothing for performance and never leaked any water in, including from car washes! If it sat in heavy snow it would melt and run in, but short of that...I didn't see any moisture.

Sorry for the picture of my sports car, my fingers stuttered!
I looked at your car for a solid 30 seconds trying to find hood scoops!

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I looked at your car for a solid 30 seconds trying to find hood scoops!
Sorry, I loaded the convertible accidentally, directly underneath is my Rubicon with the SBC scoops. The convertible that came with a 4 cylinder now has an
LS3 V8 that runs really good!

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
lol ya, usually looking on my phone so less screen real estate. Once I gave up on the car hood scoops I saw the Jeep on. Really like the color combo on your jeep btw.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
No swamp over hood now. Ya'll Hear. :whew: :like:🤠😄
He’s running with me tomorrow, I can’t promise anything..lol....... Oh , just so I’m not accused of hijacking....... if guys wanna make this a big deal, knock yourself out, but until I see more than one instance of catastrophic failure do to engine heat, I’m gonna carry on as is, and choose not to buy the snake oil this time, lol. Go drive a 70s Vette with a 454, there’s some heat.....But opinions vary, and this is just mine....Some of these vents do look cool though.....;).

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
He’s running with me tomorrow, I can’t promise anything..lol....... Oh , just so I’m not accused of hijacking....... if guys wanna make this a big deal, knock yourself out, but until I see more than one instance of catastrophic failure do to engine heat, I’m gonna carry on as is, and choose not to buy the snake oil this time, lol. Go drive a 70s Vette with a 454, there’s some heat.....But opinions vary, and this is just mine....Some of these vents do look cool though.....;).
Where are you running ? Just off-road around your area? Jeff's Rubi not like your JELLY one!!! 😎 :LOL: :swear:

My son is buying his first house currently in Jacksonville. When its all said and done I will be going to see him. Maybe we can hook up your way and Jeff's.
Sponsored