Tuffy security deck for JL Wrangler

Malamutants13

First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Will someone post a pic with the security deck installed and the back seats folded down on the JLU? Thanks in advance!

XJ-99

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (sold), 2010 Toyota RAV4v6 Limited (sold), 2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, Mojito!

XJ-99

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (sold), 2010 Toyota RAV4v6 Limited (sold), 2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, Mojito!
Hope this helps. There is quite a bit of space with the seats down.

P7010002.JPG

Sponsored

Scarr2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
I have the mopar cargo mat for leather trim installed. I'm wondering if this would cause issue installing the Tuffy Security Deck (non-alpine)? Anybody have both or would the mounting be an issue for the Tuffy? The cargo mat does not cover any of the tie downs so I would think the only issue might be the gap protector.

cargo.jpg

SteveSh

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon 4xe
I have a 2019 JLU with the cargo management setup. Does this work? I don’t have the middle bracket that they use to bolt to floor?

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
one thing I noticed about this enclosure after getting caught in a downpour while in safari mode... the depression in the top of the tuffy box (along the tailgate) funnels water perfectly to either side where it then travels past the side panels and down to the floor. my carpet got soaked with relatively little rain. I would have purchased the diabolical slipstream instead had I known about this.

Sponsored

Cwg33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Diesel, 2024 2-door Willy’s
I have a 2019 JLU with the cargo management setup. Does this work? I don’t have the middle bracket that they use to bolt to floor?
Yes, it will work. Installed mine today, and just removed the middle bolt, and replaced it with the Tuffy bolt. Didn’t use the spacer as it’s tight with the track, and the spacer doesn’t fit in side the management rail.

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Got mine yesterday. Tuffy’s packaging is horrible. Every piece was scratched or gouged to bare metal in spots. The brackets had bare spots where they were hung for coating. Even parts that weren’t scratched, were rubbed on from the cardboard, leaving a cardboard pattern. The adhesive weather stripping was peeling in spots. ‍♂

It would be really easy for them to enclose each piece in bubble wrap or just a bag to prevent the cardboard rubbing. Bubble wrap or a couple wraps of construction paper would likely stop the scratching. And a little more styrofoam around the perimeter would prevent the shipping damage.

I shot the bare spots with a rattle can and plan to run it as-is. It will get used and scratched, so it’s not that big of a deal. However, when you spend $400 on a brand new part, it would be nice to at least start with it looking new.

DavidG

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
3/10 rating for the Tuffy Security Deck.

I’ve been using this security deck for over a year now and it’s a bit of a love/ hate relationship that started the moment I unboxed the parts. It does one thing very well which is create a big secure area and then it has a bunch of individually annoying things. I have the soft top and it’s down a lot, even when the top is up the side and rear windows are hardly ever on.

Upon arrival, the parts were basically loose in a giant box and the lid was all scratched up. I had the lid covered with LineX instead of complaining which turned out to be a really smart move, it’s a functional tough finish that still looks really good despite a lot of abuse.

Let me repeat that the thing it does really well is create a nice big secure area (and you can still use the small storage and jack storage areas). 10 big stars for that. So why do I only give it a three star rating?

1) The scratches in the lid and additional costs from LineX were unexpected expenses even though I’m now glad that I did it. Deduct a star for this.

2) Previous comments about the soft top not locking are accurate and are a minor frustration, I now keep a bungee cord there which works great. Deduct another star here.

3) After some time with some minor rust on the thinly painted surfaces, it squeaked like crazy. This was fixed by using gasket material and firmly bolting everything back together including the lid which no longer opens. This deducts four more stars here because it was pain to do, I had to buy more hardware and is now just a fixed box that can’t open up easily.

4) The fit with plastic trim edges on the steel aren’t up to the standards I expected from Tuffy. Almost like it was made to fit in a rush instead of being designed for the JL. Deduct a final star.

Extra notes.

It’s big, which is usually good because it holds a lot of stuff and that’s what I wanted - but being big and pretty much fixed takes away some cargo space functionality too. I just bought a new wheelbarrow for a project at home and had to take a trailer because I couldn’t put it in the Jeep.

Also, not really a fault of the deck but when things get wet, it is an enclosure and not a waterproof box so it takes a lot of time for the carpet and everything else to dry back out.

Cwg33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Diesel, 2024 2-door Willy’s
3/10 rating for the Tuffy Security Deck.

I’ve been using this security deck for over a year now and it’s a bit of a love/ hate relationship that started the moment I unboxed the parts. It does one thing very well which is create a big secure area and then it has a bunch of individually annoying things. I have the soft top and it’s down a lot, even when the top is up the side and rear windows are hardly ever on.

Upon arrival, the parts were basically loose in a giant box and the lid was all scratched up. I had the lid covered with LineX instead of complaining which turned out to be a really smart move, it’s a functional tough finish that still looks really good despite a lot of abuse.

Let me repeat that the thing it does really well is create a nice big secure area (and you can still use the small storage and jack storage areas). 10 big stars for that. So why do I only give it a three star rating?

1) The scratches in the lid and additional costs from LineX were unexpected expenses even though I’m now glad that I did it. Deduct a star for this.

2) Previous comments about the soft top not locking are accurate and are a minor frustration, I now keep a bungee cord there which works great. Deduct another star here.

3) After some time with some minor rust on the thinly painted surfaces, it squeaked like crazy. This was fixed by using gasket material and firmly bolting everything back together including the lid which no longer opens. This deducts four more stars here because it was pain to do, I had to buy more hardware and is now just a fixed box that can’t open up easily.

4) The fit with plastic trim edges on the steel aren’t up to the standards I expected from Tuffy. Almost like it was made to fit in a rush instead of being designed for the JL. Deduct a final star.

Extra notes.

It’s big, which is usually good because it holds a lot of stuff and that’s what I wanted - but being big and pretty much fixed takes away some cargo space functionality too. I just bought a new wheelbarrow for a project at home and had to take a trailer because I couldn’t put it in the Jeep.

Also, not really a fault of the deck but when things get wet, it is an enclosure and not a waterproof box so it takes a lot of time for the carpet and everything else to dry back out.

I would agree with the assessment, at the price they charge. It seems rushed, with little effort on packaging. They have an empty spacer box in the packaging, yet the bracket and screws were shrink wrapped, and loose with the top piece in the package. It left a dent in my top, probably from the pressure of boxes stacked on top, and this didn’t need to happen. I’m going to plastidip it, but didn’t need to happen when there are better options for placing parts in the box.