Sponsored

Tuffy Security Deck install

BlairF

First Name
Blair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS-S Mojito! - 2014 Challenger RT Classic (SuperCharged) - 2016 Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Technology Incident Management
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone here install this? if so. did you have any trouble with the top getting on track? I tried last night for a couple of hours, and had zero luck getting the top on... everything else went fine. To be honest from my brief exposure to it last night, it isn't as durable as i would like either.
Sponsored

stuckinohio

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S 4 Door
I had a very difficult time getting the top/lid on. I ended up putting grease on the "wheels" and the groove/track on the panels. Had my wife hold one side while I basically struck the edge with my palm, which forced it into the groove. Then wife held pressure on the side I just got in while I palm struck the other side.

Once it went in, it works well. I thought it was pretty sturdy, however. It does make some noise when hitting bumps in the road so I'll have to try to sound proof it.

OP
OP
BlairF

BlairF

First Name
Blair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS-S Mojito! - 2014 Challenger RT Classic (SuperCharged) - 2016 Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I had a very difficult time getting the top/lid on. I ended up putting grease on the "wheels" and the groove/track on the panels. Had my wife hold one side while I basically struck the edge with my palm, which forced it into the groove. Then wife held pressure on the side I just got in while I palm struck the other side.

Once it went in, it works well. I thought it was pretty sturdy, however. It does make some noise when hitting bumps in the road so I'll have to try to sound proof it.
I just got an email from them saying the rubber seal should NOT be on the front of the lid for the install. and that to take it off and try again. Did you have the rubber seal on when you tried to install?

stuckinohio

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sure did. That would have been nice to know!

Did they mention if it said that in the install manual and we just missed it or did they just leave it out?

OP
OP
BlairF

BlairF

First Name
Blair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Straight from Tuffy:

Our first production run of this product came with this bulb seal installed on the lid, with the instructions stating to keep the lid at a shallow angle to lessen the interference with the Front Panel. After getting feedback regarding difficulty installing the lid, we decided to not install the bulb seal, and have the customer install the seal after the lid is in place. Not having the interference of the bulb seal and the Front Panel greatly eased installation of the lid. This change was also made in the Installation Instructions. If your #345 lid came with the bulb seal already installed, your Installation Instructions may not mention this seal. I have attached the newest revision of the Installation Instructions if you happen to need them.

Sponsored

stuckinohio

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, now I won't be hesitant to take the lid off in the future. I was feeling hesitation just because I didn't want to put it back on!

Let me know how it goes on the install without the seal.

OP
OP
BlairF

BlairF

First Name
Blair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Well, now I won't be hesitant to take the lid off in the future. I was feeling hesitation just because I didn't want to put it back on!

Let me know how it goes on the install without the seal.
Took 20 minutes.. Almost like it was supposed to be that way. I took pictures too... so i might post a small write up.

stuckinohio

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think that would be good. That way if people get the ones we got, they'll know what to do.

OP
OP
BlairF

BlairF

First Name
Blair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase