First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
The purpose of social media is to change your behavior without you knowing it. YouTube calls them “influencers” for a reason. It’s all lies.
I like the influencers in the bikinis. They make the world a better place.
Sponsored

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Prior to his first episode, I was curious to see what came of his “review”. After watching episode 1, I’m less interested. As someone else said, for forum members, there’s a tremendous amount of more valuable information here. But it’s probably fair to say 99% or jeep owners don’t browse forums and enjoy pulling up a YouTube review instead.

I also can’t help but be annoyed that the lift on his personal jeep is a secret since that needs to be another video. But to the keen eye it’s clearly a mopar lift with mopar wheels... I guess I’m just anti social media influencer.

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
Not interested in that particular episode but I do enjoy his travel focused episodes. Would I buy a $50k Patriot trailer? No. Would I load up my 4 dr Jeep with so much stuff that it had a curb weight over 6,000 lbs? No. Would I build a Gladiator to make a bunch of videos for a year and then sell it? No. Do I want a refrigerator in my Jeep? No. His equipment purchase choices are not of interest to me.

I never felt he was trying to present himself as an expert but rather more of an enthusiast. He’s a retired Naval officer who is taking us along his personal journey and his particular idiosyncrasies. Yes, recently he’s gotten more commercial recently but I just ignore all that stuff. If a guy can make a living combining his love of videography and car camping then more power to him.

Sponsored

BCMgunner

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 on 37” KO2s
I think it’s valuable information. Anytime you try to control as many outside variables as possible (same wheels/tires/installers/outdoor testing location) and list objective outcome numbers, the results will be more reliable than any one (or 2, or 10) persons anecdotal opinion. That’s what YouTubers try to do on a whole, “buy this because I think it’s best”. I see this as an “influencers” honest effort to get away from personal anecdotal opinions.

Boghar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport, Black, Mopar Lift, 35s
I actually enjoyed the first episode, Looking at the spreadsheets with the amount of height gain with each lift was interesting to me. The amount of flex is also interesting to compare. It seems to me that the part 2 will be more subjective but I will still be glad to watch it.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Man, threads like this just reek of envy. People need to check themselves.

I think it’s valuable information. Anytime you try to control as many outside variables as possible (same wheels/tires/installers/outdoor testing location) and list objective outcome numbers, the results will be more reliable than any one (or 2, or 10) persons anecdotal opinion. That’s what YouTubers try to do on a whole, “buy this because I think it’s best”. I see this as an “influencers” honest effort to get away from personal anecdotal opinions.
Exactly.

I like Brad and TrailRecon. I enjoy watching his vids for entertainment purposes. I'll glean whatever info and insight I can from it. Keep in mind though, a lot of the magazines had a lot of the same questions: I love Jp, and Four Wheeler, etc, but think real hard: have you ever seen a review where they flat out said "This product sucks and is a piece of shit"? Sure, they'd do follow ups and say something "didn't work out" or "wasn't good for the application" but it was never flat out condemnation. And if they did? People would be all over them: OH YOU'RE JUST CRYING BECAUSE YOUR FREE PARTS BROKE, YOU'RE TRYING TO GET MORE FREE STUFF. And that's not even considering if a company decides it's going to sue someone for a negative review. It's a catch 22. Plus: It looks unprofessional when you straight up trash something vs. a valid criticism. As this applies to products, so to does it apply to any "reivew" you're watching or reading.

You have to seek out (and aggregate) real user feedback from objective users who ACTUALLY know what they're doing. This applies everywhere and anywhere. There are plenty of people on this forum who it applies to, and there are just as many spouting off absolute BS because they barely have enough experience and mechanical ability to tie their shoes.

TL;DR: It's all what you take from it.
if you're taking any one person's word as the ultimate in your decision to purchase a product for your rig, I have a fantastic real estate opportunity for you to invest in involving oceanfront real estate on Tatooine!

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Being aware that it’s more than likely the case money is involved with one or more of the lifts involved, I’ll hear what he has to say. It’s not common to have the insight of ONE person on several lifts so I am curious enough to watch. I’ll watch with some skepticism though.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
It is okay to bitch about Brad doing his job. I bitch about the cashier at grocery store self check out all the time. That fucker is mouthy and lazy.

I think Brad supplies a solid level of weekly content that I can enjoy while putting miles on the treadmill. I see where it could be easy for people to be envious of him. Retired young, buys Jeeps and mods them and wheels them all over the country while hanging out with friends while his wife works, even getting his son to drive while he films. I get it. That's a cool way to make a living. I have watched most of his videos. He does make some where he talks about products that he has pulled off as they did not perform as well as he expected. I do not expect him to air dirty laundry on on his video. Also if you are a Youtube creator, I have read or saw that you have to put out content weekly so stay at the top of the algorithm so that you don't fall off into the endless hole of other content creators.

I just wish everyone could support themselves doing the things they love.

Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I enjoy most of the channel, and others also, but I also know that YouTube "influencers", can also be called salespeople. Yes, you can get alot of good information from here also, but there are also some people here that think their lift (or tires) is best because that is the one they bought, but they don't have much, or any, experience with other brands. I suspect the part two of the video will suggest Lift A if you have smaller budget, Lift B if you need the best, Lift C for a compromise, Lift D for an easy install, etc. I doubt there will be a lift that is negatively reviewed.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Yeah I just don't get why when some folks are critical of something or someone there is a group that get butt hurt and immediately go to "you just must be jealous or envious". Are we now really at a point where we can't criticize things without people just thinking we are jealous or envious? Is everyone just supposed to agree and say "that's great"?

Envy - a feeling of discontented or resentful longing aroused by someone else's possessions, qualities, or luck.

So because someone is critical they are automatically resentful of someone else and their possessions? I can't connect the dots here, can someone who thinks this way please help me get there?

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

The purpose of social media is to change your behavior without you knowing it. YouTube calls them “influencers” for a reason. It’s all lies.
It's called social conditioning. Social psychologists and scholars have been performing studies on this since the turn of the 20th century (Durkheim, Bandura, Milgram, ect.). If more people were aware of social conditioning, they might be scared to know how conditioned they already are (think about not having your cell phone for any given time; you are already conditioned to feel the effects of withdraw when you are not using your phone).

My favorite classroom experiment is asking students to leave their phones on my desk (I teach graduate students) and see how long they can go without coming up to retrieve their phones. The data are fascinating (I use this as an empathy building technique to better understand what individuals with substance use disorders may feel when they start the withdraw process, not just to torture students).

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
It's called social conditioning. Social psychologists and scholars have been performing studies on this since the turn of the 20th century (Durkheim, Bandura, Milgram, ect.). If more people were aware of social conditioning, they might be scared to know how conditioned they already are (think about not having your cell phone for any given time; you are already conditioned to feel the effects of withdraw when you are not using your phone).

My favorite classroom experiment is asking students to leave their phones on my desk (I teach graduate students) and see how long they can go without coming up to retrieve their phones. The data are fascinating (I use this as an empathy building technique to better understand what individuals with substance use disorders may feel when they start the withdraw process, not just to torture students).
But social convention dictates that one must have their phone and be looking at it at all times......🙄

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

But social convention dictates that one must have their phone and be looking at it at all times......🙄
Which most do and most are because of "Fear of Missing Out (FOMO)", a conditioning agent of social media (hence my quick reaction to you post).
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.