Sponsored

Six lifts reviewed by TrailRecon. An interesting watch and some useful information.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Although new to the forum, I'm not new to Jeeps. I go back to my first jeep in high school the old 85-86 CJ7. I've recently ordered a new 21 Rubicon JL and after reading reviews from all over the country I've found the overall general consensus to be that the Rock Krawler is king. My purpose is highway, dropping my boys off at football and baseball practice and the long trips to the drilling rig so occassional offroad but they are just horribly maintained dirt lease roads. Not Overlanding, Baja or Rock Crawling. With all that said, I am baffled that this guy at Trail Recon named Teraflex as #1 overall. I have heard that the TF is very firm on the highway almost stiff on the lowest setting, so to hear that it is excellent on the highway and can ride in it all day confuses me. Especially considering when it appears to me that the actual owners of all the various lift kits overwhelming place Rock Krawler as #1.

Can anyone elaborate further as to why or how Teraflex was ranked above Rock Krawler. What am I missing from his video or from others on the forum about the two lifts.
Remember he is a YouTuber. They get paid quite handsomely for supporting certain things. On YT you will be hard pressed to actually find a true unbiased comparison of anything. All the YouTubers also said Patagonia’s were the best tire ever, none of them actually use them any longer, none.

You will have a better chance asking around here or other forums and get advice from folks that have actually spent their hard earned money and have put a ton of miles on their products. Even then most will be fanboys of the product they are using because the feeling of spending that money on what they got they want to tell themselves it was a great decision. Eventually you just need to take a leap of your own.
Sponsored

Atom631

First Name
Atom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Remember he is a YouTuber. They get paid quite handsomely for supporting certain things. On YT you will be hard pressed to actually find a true unbiased comparison of anything. All the YouTubers also said Patagonia’s were the best tire ever, none of them actually use them any longer, none.

You will have a better chance asking around here or other forums and get advice from folks that have actually spent their hard earned money and have put a ton of miles on their products. Even then most will be fanboys of the product they are using because the feeling of spending that money on what they got they want to tell themselves it was a great decision. Eventually you just need to take a leap of your own.
could it be with the Patagonia’s that other tire manufacturers offered them more money to run their tires?

what is the issue with the Patagonia’s? I watched the early Lite Brite videos and they seemed to hold up pretty well for the abuse they seemed to put them through. Is that not the case?

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
could it be with the Patagonia’s that other tire manufacturers offered them more money to run their tires?

what is the issue with the Patagonia’s? I watched the early Lite Brite videos and they seemed to hold up pretty well for the abuse they seemed to put them through. Is that not the case?
Yes exactly my point. They go and give all these "influencers" free stuff and they put it on their channel. They give them good reviews as they got the stuff for free so the reviews aren't honest at all. Several YTers all got Patagonias and reviewed them. Sh$t no one ever heard of the tire brand until a year or so ago and then all of a sudden everyone is buying them. Brilliant marketing on their part. However the fact is they are cheap junk and none of the REVIEWERS that gave them such glaring reviews even use them any longer because they too realized it. You can watch Lite Brite and ALL of their reviews are junk. They have blown engines with these AWESOME products etc etc yet they NEVER do a review when the crap they were pushing actually turns out to be junk. Great vids for the scenery and adventures, horrible vids to actually get honest feedback. Same with TR.

Atom631

First Name
Atom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Yes exactly my point. They go and give all these "influencers" free stuff and they put it on their channel. They give them good reviews as they got the stuff for free so the reviews aren't honest at all. Several YTers all got Patagonias and reviewed them. Sh$t no one ever heard of the tire brand until a year or so ago and then all of a sudden everyone is buying them. Brilliant marketing on their part. However the fact is they are cheap junk and none of the REVIEWERS that gave them such glaring reviews even use them any longer because they too realized it. You can watch Lite Brite and ALL of their reviews are junk. They have blown engines with these AWESOME products etc etc yet they NEVER do a review when the crap they were pushing actually turns out to be junk. Great vids for the scenery and adventures, horrible vids to actually get honest feedback. Same with TR.
The early Lite Brite videos before they blew up were fantastic. It really showcased what a basically stock JL could do right from the factory. I loved how they would do a modification and then go back to Chinaman Gulch to see what new lines they could tackle. It was really great to watch that progression. However, If you binge their videos like watching a TV series you can actually see the channel devolve into one big paid infomercial. It eventually jumps the shark with the $40K hemi swap after running a turbo that blew their engine. And that is definitely where I agree with you - that was a big WTF moment when they didn't inform the public until AFTER their engine blew that the turbo was junk. very irresponsible. Also, after the hemi swap IMO the channel becomes unrelatable to 99% of JL owners who want to see what realistic mods they can do to their Jeep and what the return on investment is.

All that aside - in relation to the Patagonias - that was something we were able to visibly see with our own eyes how they performed... and my impression was that they were pretty good (with the exception of east coast slop - but in reality no tires perform that great in those conditions). So im curious what is actually wrong with the Patagonias? I always see a lot of people mention they arent good, but I never really see concrete reasons why.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I mean, it’s not really a giant surprise to see the lift with geo brackets get best on-road and high speed off-road marks., it’s pretty simple physics. But when it comes to really wheeling the Rock Krawler crushes the competition.

Sponsored

Red Toy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Firecracker Red Rubi "The Red Toy"
Yes, of course my apologies. Metal Cloak is up there as well.

Last edited:

runklda

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Meanwhile he put the Mopar Lift on his own Jeep and none of the ones from the review smh.
Sponsored