UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Pull the wires in from the hand held plug-in remote and separate the wires based on function. Takes a little work and maybe a few blown fuses, but it's easy after a few beers.
The only thing I can think of...

B88EB39F-FF49-4F50-9A79-2D478339E3B2.jpeg
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
In my opinion, fusing a winch is unnecessary. I'd rather risk a potential short than have a fuse end my recovery ability. There's a reason the fusing isn't recommended in most winch manuals. You want it to work when you need it.

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
If you will be using it to recover stuck vehicles, then definitely consider a Kinetic Rope, rather than a Tow Strap. If you're going to be towing vehicles, then use a tow strap.

I have a BBG4x4 3"x30' Tow Strap that is Super Beefy. Although, I haven't had a chance to use it yet. I went overboard with the Strength because I figured I could also use it as a Winch Line Extension or makeshift Tree Saver. It was $28 Shipped on Amazon (now $36 though).

For Kinetic Rope, I use a QiQu 7/8" rope with 2 of their soft shackles. So far they have worked great and held up very well.

Pics of when I got them:

Jeep Wrangler JL Thoughts about winches B88EB39F-FF49-4F50-9A79-2D478339E3B2
Since I have to first purchase a steel bumper and then a winch, I decided it was worth the $ to have some decent recovery gear.
I picked this up on sale and feel I can at least flag someone down to help me out - or be available to help another stuck soul - until I kit out a bumper and winch.

https://www.tacticalrecoveryequipment.com/product/jeep-recovery-gear-kit/

OP
OP
steelerpsugirl

steelerpsugirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport S
Ran into a problem. Motor spools in beautifully but will not spool out. Free spoiling is pretty tight and the motor was smoking when we tried to run it to pull it out. Any ideas? One wire seemed to feel hot also... motor runs just doesn’t do anything out. Again, winds back in fine with the motor. Most frustrating day ever 🤦🏼‍♀️ Thanks in advance for any help!

Sponsored

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
In my opinion, fusing a winch is unnecessary. I'd rather risk a potential short than have a fuse end my recovery ability. There's a reason the fusing isn't recommended in most winch manuals. You want it to work when you need it.
The fuse is there for accidental shorting if you cut or nick a wire wheeling. You can always bypass a blown fuse if you clear the fault. But if you're a fan if smoke and fire, go for it.

SDJEEP4PAPA

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 On Order
I haven't got my jeep yet but did grow up on a farm and had my fair share of stuck tractors...I can't think of a single time we ever pulled the thing out from the front, the best ground was almost always behind you... Ditto for all the cars I pulled out of ditches...I have often wondered why no one mounts a winch on the rear (other than the fact there is no good place to mount one)... seems to me if I slip off a trail or get into a deep snow bank I would want to go back not forward... for that reason I would think come alongs might make more sense...

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I haven't got my jeep yet but did grow up on a farm and had my fair share of stuck tractors...I can't think of a single time we ever pulled the thing out from the front, the best ground was almost always behind you... Ditto for all the cars I pulled out of ditches...I have often wondered why no one mounts a winch on the rear (other than the fact there is no good place to mount one)... seems to me if I slip off a trail or get into a deep snow bank I would want to go back not forward... for that reason I would think come alongs might make more sense...
I've used a come along for years. Got unstuck many times with them. Takes a lot of time and effort though. In most cases you can pull past an obstacle going forward with a long lead line. I'm considering this purchase as an old age luxury. I still plan to keep a come along in my farm CJ since I don't go too far from home in it.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
The fuse is there for accidental shorting if you cut or nick a wire wheeling. You can always bypass a blown fuse if you clear the fault. But if you're a fan if smoke and fire, go for it.
A large enough fuse to allow the winch to draw maximum current (450A or more in a lot of cases) is virtually useless. A non-bolted fault will likely arc flash the wire clear before the fuse would blow. Too small a fuse will nuisance trip constantly. Starters aren't usually fused either for the same reason. My winch lines are protected, but I'd never fuse them personally. Again, there's a reason my most manufacturers don't recommend it. The power wagon (one of the only vehicles with a factory winch) has no fuse, and it is fully warrantied. If it was anywhere near the danger some think it is, do you honestly believe it would make it passed the team of lawyers and government agencies required to get to the dealer lot in the first place?

Sponsored

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
Ran into a problem. Motor spools in beautifully but will not spool out. Free spoiling is pretty tight and the motor was smoking when we tried to run it to pull it out. Any ideas? One wire seemed to feel hot also... motor runs just doesn’t do anything out. Again, winds back in fine with the motor. Most frustrating day ever 🤦🏼‍♀️ Thanks in advance for any help!
Sounds like the wiring on the winch motor itself, make sure all wires on the winch are connected in accordance with manufacturers diagram. I would also disconnect it from the power source until you have verified the wiring in the winch itself is correct.

Last edited:
OP
OP
steelerpsugirl

steelerpsugirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport S
Sounds like the wiring on the winch motor itself, make sure all wires on the winch are connected in accordance with manufacturers diagram. I would also disconnect it from the power source until you have verified the wiring in the winch itself is correct.
I’ll do that. It makes a noise like it’s connected but then it’s almost like it’s jammed. Free spoiling is extremely difficult also.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A large enough fuse to allow the winch to draw maximum current (450A or more in a lot of cases) is virtually useless. A non-bolted fault will likely arc flash the wire clear before the fuse would blow. Too small a fuse will nuisance trip constantly. Starters aren't usually fused either for the same reason. My winch lines are protected, but I'd never fuse them personally. Again, there's a reason my most manufacturers don't recommend it. The power wagon (one of the only vehicles with a factory winch) has no fuse, and it is fully warrantied. If it was anywhere near the danger some think it is, do you honestly believe it would make it passed the team of lawyers and government agencies required to get to the dealer lot in the first place?
The winch option on the new JL/JT has a fuseable link from the factory. I've seen a little 18 gauge wire completely burn the insulation off and melt carpet in the trunk of a car on 2 seconds. Most vehicle fires are electrical. I'm putting a fuse on mine since the winch is in the front where impact from a wreck is most likely. If the fuse blows while I'm winching, I have a $4 spare. If that blows, then I'll bypass it while winching then disconnect it before driving home. Do what you are comfortable with, but in my case, a $30 fuse block and fuse is cheaper than my insurance deductible.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ll do that. It makes a noise like it’s connected but then it’s almost like it’s jammed. Free spoiling is extremely difficult also.
Pull the line all the way out free-spooling. When winding-in a winch line, you need a couple hundred pounds resistance to keep the line from tucking under itself during a partial winch-in. Might be the case here. Find a gentle slope, tie off and winch the Jeep up the hill to get a tight wrap.

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
I just keep a come along in my bag, when I am solo I don’t do hard stuff, if I am doing difficult stuff I am always with a second Jeep, so my off-road bag has straps, tracks, come along and some other goodies including a hand held ham radio incase all else fails
Sponsored