Sponsored

Thoughts about winches

ChromeToaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JL Rubicon, 03 Honda XR650L
I used my WARN ZEON 10s 2 days ago to rescue an Xj who slid off the trail behind me on a group run. Very off camber area and the winch did great we pulled the jeep back onto the trail and back on our ways.

Sponsored

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
So nobody gonna talk old school come-along with a tow strap? Sure you'll spend over an hour cranking out bit by bit, but you'll save hundreds of $$$.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I have been snow wheeling a lot this year. I run the Smittybuilt X20. the 12,000 pound version. The thing with having a winch, is it opens up the ability for self recovery, and allows you to wheel where you would otherwise have to pass up.

I used mine last night wheeling in some wet deep snow. I could not make the climb up a hill and had to winch to the top to keep going.

Jeep Wrangler JL Thoughts about winches 1614169413174

Then a couple weeks ago.
Jeep Wrangler JL Thoughts about winches 1614169467048

Then again, just a small hill that was iced over that nobody could get over. You could not get a run at it.
Jeep Wrangler JL Thoughts about winches 1614169551406

Without a winch, I would have missed three wheeling opportunities in the last month. Sure, I guess I could just stay home and watch another episode of Rick & Morty.

I think for the most part, every winch is okay for the casual user. It is not like building a winch is rocket science for the average manufactures.

OP
OP
steelerpsugirl

steelerpsugirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport S
Ok so I’m thinking if I plan on expanding my wheeling horizons this is a good idea. I think I’ve narrowed it down to two- one with a synthetic rope that is a crazy good price (Rough Country Pro 9500) and the Smittybilt XRC Gen 2 with the steel rope. For my purposes and the not really aggressive off-roading I do I think both work for me and are really well priced. Smittybilt seems to have more power. I know synthetic is lighter (which I like) and safer but how about long term wear and maintenance, are they both about the same? Thanks everyone for all your help and thoughts on this! I still feel like I may never use it but at least I can move it from Jeep to Jeep if I want and one day will when I really need it!

OP
OP
steelerpsugirl

steelerpsugirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Final decision (finally) is the Smittybilt XRC Gen2 waterproof steel rope winch. EXCELLENT price and got the best, most consistent reviews. I know not the best of the best, but the best for my needs! THANK YOU everyone, appreciate all of your information and expertise and tips! This forum has been so helpful, especially when I am indecisive!

Sponsored

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
Final decision (finally) is the Smittybilt XRC Gen2 waterproof steel rope winch. EXCELLENT price and got the best, most consistent reviews. I know not the best of the best, but the best for my needs! THANK YOU everyone, appreciate all of your information and expertise and tips! This forum has been so helpful, especially when I am indecisive!
Get synthetic rope please. You're new to winching and it is so much safer. And since you're not doing rock crawling, etc then there is no argument for the steel for your use model.

OP
OP
steelerpsugirl

steelerpsugirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Get synthetic rope please. You're new to winching and it is so much safer. And since you're not doing rock crawling, etc then there is no argument for the steel for your use model.
Totally get that. I went with steel since it is a less expensive option. Since I don't do any crazy wheeling I doubt I will ever use. But as most said, it's just in case. I am definitely researching how to be safe and bought the dampener and gloves (and of course tree saver) and am going to keep learning safe techniques! i want to know exactly what I am doing before I have to do it!

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
Can you give me ideas on a good tow strap? I dont off road, but been in a few situations that required a tow strap. THx

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
Can you give me ideas on a good tow strap? I dont off road, but been in a few situations that required a tow strap. THx
If you will be using it to recover stuck vehicles, then definitely consider a Kinetic Rope, rather than a Tow Strap. If you're going to be towing vehicles, then use a tow strap.

I have a BBG4x4 3"x30' Tow Strap that is Super Beefy. Although, I haven't had a chance to use it yet. I went overboard with the Strength because I figured I could also use it as a Winch Line Extension or makeshift Tree Saver. It was $28 Shipped on Amazon (now $36 though).

For Kinetic Rope, I use a QiQu 7/8" rope with 2 of their soft shackles. So far they have worked great and held up very well.

Pics of when I got them:

Jeep Wrangler JL Thoughts about winches IMG_20210205_190657_hdr

Last edited:

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
If you will be using it to recover stuck vehicles, then definitely consider a Kinetic rope, rather than a Tow Strap. If you're going to be towing vehicles, then use a tow strap.
Something to consider with kinetic straps/ropes...kinetic straps (like the ARB strap) has a “use life.” Basically, once you use it several times, it loses its elasticity and essentially becomes a tow strap. Kinetic ropes, on the other hand, retain their elasticity despite their use.

Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Totally get that. I went with steel since it is a less expensive option. Since I don't do any crazy wheeling I doubt I will ever use. But as most said, it's just in case. I am definitely researching how to be safe and bought the dampener and gloves (and of course tree saver) and am going to keep learning safe techniques! i want to know exactly what I am doing before I have to do it!
I went with an Smittybilt X20 10k Gen2 winch with steel cable due to cost. The X20 had better line speed which meant it could winch in longer without needing breaks. I replaced the steel cable and rollers with a synthetic rope off amazon for $100 and Warn fairlead for $50. Winch was $330 on sale at 4WP down the street from me. Saved about $150 over buying a comparable winch with synthetic line and probably $300 over a Warn with synthetic line.

OP
OP
steelerpsugirl

steelerpsugirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went with an Smittybilt X20 10k Gen2 winch with steel cable due to cost. The X20 had better line speed which meant it could winch in longer without needing breaks. I replaced the steel cable and rollers with a synthetic rope off amazon for $100 and Warn fairlead for $50. Winch was $330 on sale at 4WP down the street from me. Saved about $150 over buying a comparable winch with synthetic line and probably $300 over a Warn with synthetic line.
My plan is to eventually switch out to a synthetic rope if needed in the future as well. Couldn’t resist the price on this one

Sontavaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lj - sold-cause im an idiot. 2019 blue rubi ordered and received. I need my LJ back.
Occupation
Repressor of civil rights
Synthetic line is worth the price for the weight reduction. And keep in Mind the winch can do other things, not just vehicle recovery. I used my to “dig” up a bunch of holly bushes. It was awesome, just hook up a strap and pulled the damn things up by the root! So winches are great for gardening!

Last edited:

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
Just having a winch makes you a popular person, it is truly amazing the things you can do with one. I have hoisted up hunting stands and houses, more than my fair share of deer, pulled down many trees and moved many other peoples vehicles. Get lots of free beer. I get call a lot for help by my friends because they know my winch will make things easy for them and we all have fun with the project.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Oh you should upgrade to a synthetic line asap. Winches SHOULD be run every month or so to keep things moving and check for operation, because few things suck as bad as feeling confident in being able to get yourself unstuck and the winch not working. So if you're gonna be running the line out 85ft once a month, well steel is heavier and not as easy to wind.
Sponsored