Question about Hitch Mounted Winches

basinite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys (2 door)
A couple days ago I took a buddy and his wife out exploring and we nearly got swallowed up in a mud hole. My buddy loved it, wife not so much....

While in the mud hole, the only thing I kept thinking was, " you need to invest in a winch". I tell myself this every time, but after the danger of getting stuck passes. I quickly forget and continue to put it off.

I've went all these years without one, but there have been many times where one would have helped me out a lot while stuck. My "life line" of people to call to pull me out if needed, seems to be getting smaller and smaller every year.

All I want is an electrical winch that attaches to my trailer hitch. One I can take off and leave in the Garage when not needed. I've been researching them on Google and there are a lot of options.

Do any of you have a set up like this? If so, please let me know how you like it.

Thanks.

This is an example of what I'm talking about;

https://www.jbtools.com/champion-11...MI2KvBmZm17gIVC7bICh1J7wLsEAQYAiABEgJH5fD_BwE
Sponsored

Last edited:

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
I used to use a system like that. But the "permanent" mounting location was in the bed of the pickup. I eventually got tired of keeping it there and moving it when I wanted to use the bed of the truck.

Conversely, it was a pain to deploy it at the time of need. And I never ended up needing the flexibility to mount it in the rear trailer hitch - it was always used from the front hitch mount.

When it was in the garage, it was taking up space, something to trip over and get dirty, and one more big heavy thing to remember to put in the truck before going wheeling.

Bottom line, I was happier when I went to a permanent winch bumper and mount. Always ready for action, never in the way. Do a quick electronic check on it the weekend before a trip just to make sure it's still working. (One too many trips with other guys where their winch "hmmm, doesn't work. that's odd....)