Thoughts about winches

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
That explains it, the engineers always know everything. Real world experience, an entire industry, every winch manufacturer ever, none of them could possibly know better than what your books on theory have told you. As I stated from the beginning, run a fuse if you want, but don't pretend that's the only way. The ocp on most ups systems is in the inverter, leaving the leads from the batteries 100% unprotected in my experience. It was never a pissing match on my end, I never claimed mine was the only way or that I knew better than anyone else. You do it your way, I'll do it mine. Both will work.
In case you didn't notice, I didn't spend my days in an office, but in manufacturing plants. Hands on. But I have noticed in my career that commercial guys have ego instead of the expertise of working on complex systems to learn on.

Folks, if you want to take his advice, that's on you. I tried to Warn you (pun intended) that you need fuses. Maybe he can still sleep at night knowing he put y'all at risk. I tried to wrap this up nicely, but his half-witted training won't let him do the same.
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
In case you didn't notice, I didn't spend my days in an office, but in manufacturing plants. Hands on. But I have noticed in my career that commercial guys have ego instead of the expertise of working on complex systems to learn on.

Folks, if you want to take his advice, that's on you. I tried to Warn you (pun intended) that you need fuses. Maybe he can still sleep at night knowing he put y'all at risk. I tried to wrap this up nicely, but his half-witted training won't let him do the same.
Might want to re-read the thread turbo, only one of us is making ego fueled, my way is the only way statements. Also the one making insults and claiming to know better than everyone else from OEM's to winch manufacturers. Everyone is a tough guy behind the keyboard, keep that same energy in person. Personal insults on internet forums are reserved for 12 year old boys and cowards. Have a nice day, I'll be waiting next to my winch with the marshmallows because I'm sure it'll burst into flames any moment.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Might want to re-read the thread turbo, only one of us is making ego fueled, my way is the only way statements. Also the one making insults and claiming to know better than everyone else from OEM's to winch manufacturers. Everyone is a tough guy behind the keyboard, keep that same energy in person. Personal insults on internet forums are reserved for 12 year old boys and cowards. Have a nice day, I'll be waiting next to my winch with the marshmallows because I'm sure it'll burst into flames any moment.
May StMichael wrap you in his wings and protect your mullet.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
May StMichael wrap you in his wings and protect your mullet.
" Be sure to connect the electrical cables directly to the main posts on your battery. Winches can pull tremendous amounts of power when working under load. Connecting to secondary posts might not be able to handle the amperage causing them to burn out and leave you with a dead battery in the middle of nowhere."
You should reach out to the guys at four wheeler magazine and let them know they're doing it wrong. I'd lead with all that uneducated, ignorant, mullet wearing, redneck stuff, it really makes people believe that you're clearly the be all end all authority on the matter.

Sponsored

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
Maybe, but I know a lot about electricity.
Are you assuming I’m don't? Kinda sounds like it. I find it funny when other engineers (ie people like you) think they know everything and are overconfident. Later those people hopefully look back and realize the blatant information they overlooked which makes them incorrect. I know when I was younger I had done similar to you thinking I knew more than I did because I was an engineer with experience.

Do you assume you know more than Warn, Bulldog, Superwinch, etc who all recommend wiring the winch straight to the battery. Warn even advises against having anything but straight to the battery terminal. You really think that if there was an actual risk of it happening they would take this approach? Every time you add a connection, joint, etc you increase likelihood of a failure, you adding a fuse or recommending others (with less knowledge) to do so may actually increase the potential of failure.
snapshot straight from their install instructions.
Jeep Wrangler JL Thoughts about winches D63D856B-D5E9-41DC-875B-D15C8D1BA34A

The problem with forums is that incorrect and unsafe information is seldom removed.

Yada yada yada

Again, bad advice that someone might unwittingly follow.
I recommend you look up a word. It’s a psychology word, Projection. You sir, are actually giving bad advice.

And anyone who is considering following this guys advice, please call your winch manufacturer and ask them what they advise. Then ask yourself, who is right? - some dude on the internet or the people who designed, developed, tested and produce the product you have chosen to be good enough to put on your vehicle.

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly
I bet steelerpsugirl is pretty confused at this point. A simple post asking for winch advice turning into a pissing match that has nothing to do with helping her with her winch request. The internet at its worst.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you assuming I’m don't? Kinda sounds like it. I find it funny when other engineers (ie people like you) think they know everything and are overconfident. Later those people hopefully look back and realize the blatant information they overlooked which makes them incorrect. I know when I was younger I had done similar to you thinking I knew more than I did because I was an engineer with experience.

Do you assume you know more than Warn, Bulldog, Superwinch, etc who all recommend wiring the winch straight to the battery. Warn even advises against having anything but straight to the battery terminal. You really think that if there was an actual risk of it happening they would take this approach? Every time you add a connection, joint, etc you increase likelihood of a failure, you adding a fuse or recommending others (with less knowledge) to do so may actually increase the potential of failure.
snapshot straight from their install instructions.
Jeep Wrangler JL Thoughts about winches D63D856B-D5E9-41DC-875B-D15C8D1BA34A

I recommend you look up a word. It’s a psychology word, Projection. You sir, are actually giving bad advice.

And anyone who is considering following this guys advice, please call your winch manufacturer and ask them what they advise. Then ask yourself, who is right? - some dude on the internet or the people who designed, developed, tested and produce the product you have chosen to be good enough to put on your vehicle.
Every JL purchased from a dealership with a winch installed will include a fuseable link.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Every JL purchased from a dealership with a winch installed will include a fuseable link.
Being that you still can't order a JL from the factory with a winch, and that I've seen dealer installed winches on JL's (both pre and post sale) without fusible links, I think you have bad information. If/ when jeep gets their new customization facility up and running, the winches installed there will likely have fusible links. Going forward you may be correct, but I've personally seen JL's purchased from dealers with winches sans fusible link so once again your blanket factual statements seem inaccurate...

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Being that you still can't order a JL from the factory with a winch, and that I've seen dealer installed winches on JL's (both pre and post sale) without fusible links, I think you have bad information. If/ when jeep gets their new customization facility up and running, the winches installed there will likely have fusible links. Going forward you may be correct, but I've personally seen JL's purchased from dealers with winches sans fusible link so once again your blanket factual statements seem inaccurate...
Every JL purchased from a dealership with a winch installed WILL include a fuseable link.

Sponsored

Wixo

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlurd
Sometimes safety causes problems that’s why fire pumps don’t have a breaker or a fuse so it can save lives. I for one would rather have a kill switch than a fuse. I don’t have either on my rig now which was dealer installed.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unless it's a used jl purchased from a dealer? You'd think an engineer would understand that nothing is absolute...
I think the folks seeking advice knew what I meant. They're seeking knowledge instead of just looking to prove someone else wrong.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I think the folks seeking advice knew what I meant. They're seeking knowledge instead of just looking to prove someone else wrong.
I never claimed I was right, you have held steadfast to your way being the only way. My point has always been the fuse is optional and has potential drawbacks. Anyone who doesn't do it your way is an idiot, despite the fact that the majority of the industry doesn't do it your way. After a half dozen responses telling us all that you know better than everyone from warn to dodge to four wheel magazine, all of whom have far more experience than you or I ever will, it's pretty clear which of us is obsessed with being right.
Sponsored