Sponsored

There is no perfect engine

mjindy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius (Wife’s); 2021 Sting Grey Willys Unlimited
I'll be ordering a 2022 JLUR this month but I'm not excited about any of the engine options. The 3.6 w/ess has the crappy motorcycle battery that seems to fail far too early, plus it's manual only which I don't want on a DD/wheeler. The 3.6 etorque has a complex secondary battery system that I'm weary of. The 2.0 sounds weird and I don't like turbo throttle feel, plus premium fuel. The 3.0 diesel I actually like but my commute makes me a bad candidate for it plus the high maintenance cost and complexity are a turn off. The 392 is awesome no question, but it's not a practical DD and I'm not spending $75k on a wrangler. The 4xE is interesting but not on a vehicle that is designed to get you away from electrical outlets.

I guess the problem is simply just having choice. I kind of wish it were the old days of having the 3.6 and that's it. I'll likely be getting the XR package so I'll have the 3.6 etorque and I'm sure it will be great. It seems ridiculous to not be able to choose a clear winner, but maybe there isn't.
I have the 2.0 with 9000 miles and I do not run premium. The manual says ok to run on regular, 87 octane.
Sponsored

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler unlimited rubicon
I agree for the most part but want to point out that the weighting factor you put on those categories really swings things. For a shorter off-road adventure then yes the 2.0L will be more nimble on the trail. However my use case is 37's and pretty heavy loadout due to long multi-night/week trips. You can still get 22-24mpg with the diesel and can I assure you the 2.0L would be in the mid to low teens. I don't care about how "fast" it is or the oil change price difference every 10K (if you can afford a $60K+ toy an extra $50-150 every 6-12 months shouldn't break the bank). As you pointed out "That’s why they offer so many engines."
Agree. Is basically what I said about needs and personal preference. You care more about fuel economy than going faster. Pretty sure the 2.0 can do everything the 3.0 does. They have the same payload. Once you start modifying then things change. I have just 35s so is basically factory and any other factory rubicons will accomplish the same off-roading without significant difference.

MonLee

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Sport S
The concern is the driveline. 37s are extremely heavy.
Fair enough, that is probably similar to a sports car with extremely sticky tires. Tons of inertia to overcome just applied differently.

MandrewSD

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 392
Agree. Is basically what I said about needs and personal preference. You care more about fuel economy than going faster. Pretty sure the 2.0 can do everything the 3.0 does. They have the same payload. Once you start modifying then things change. I have just 35s so is basically factory and any other factory rubicons will accomplish the same off-roading without significant difference.
Off-road I'd actually say the 2.0L and 3.6L are the best choice...gearing dominates the torque discussion...and the lighter weight you mentioned is a real advantage. On the freeway the diesel torque shines; it doesn't matter if you're heavy and going uphill it stays in 8th and just putts along...442 lb-ft is a significant difference.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Kinda funny how 4T owners keep having to justify their decision & feel attacked. That speaks volumes about which engine is a better choice.
Are we reading the same forum? The mere presence of "2.0T" in a post prompts a bevy of unsolicited comments regarding anticipated engine life, exhaust sound, the garment-rending cost of premium fuel...all from owners who've something else under the hood of their JL.

So why worry about it? We're accountable only to ourselves. 😎

Sponsored

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Built up heavy duty suspension cant handle the might of a Wrangler launching off the line at breakneck Wrangler type speeds?
My JLUR weighs in at 5,600 dry without my fat ass in it. Launching them applies undo pressure on driveline and suspension. Running them at high speed is just crazy. To each, their own though. Run a Wrangler like a sport car if you want. I bought mine for off-road performance.

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
Are we reading the same forum? The mere presence of "2.0T" in a post prompts a bevy of unsolicited comments regarding anticipated engine life, exhaust sound, the garment-rending cost of premium fuel...all from owners who've something else under the hood of their JL.

So why worry about it? We're accountable only to ourselves. 😎
Yes, we are reading the same forum but I don't read every post.

I'm saying if 4T has such an overwhelming advantage why waste time defending it?

I like NA engines better. Thats all I have to say.

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon (2.0T w/ eTorque)
And with a simple high quality tune you can get about 340hp and 390tq from the 2.0T something you'll never be able to achieve with the 3.6 That's what I love about turbo 4 engines.

That's why if I go 2 door for my 2022 order I'm going with the 2.0T.

I know Jeeps are not for drag racing but with the 392 hitting the drag strip pulling high 12s it makes me wonder what the 2 door 2.0T with a quality tune would do being its 1,000 pounds lighter? I bet it would do pretty good.
What all would it take to get this done? Trying to understand

MonLee

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Sport S
My JLUR weighs in at 5,600 dry without my fat ass in it. Launching them applies undo pressure on driveline and suspension. Running them at high speed is just crazy. To each, their own though. Run a Wrangler like a sport car if you want. I bought mine for off-road performance.
I mostly bought mine because of the way that it is. Im getting 22.7 mpg avg on 35 mph back roads with plenty of stop signs and traffic lights, not really possible by driving it like a sports car. Just asking questions and learning is all.

Edit: And being a little sarcastic at the same time, sorry i left that important part of my plan out.

Sponsored

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco

JeepinAZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2021 Rubicon 392
Occupation
Retired
I'll be ordering a 2022 JLUR this month but I'm not excited about any of the engine options. The 3.6 w/ess has the crappy motorcycle battery that seems to fail far too early, plus it's manual only which I don't want on a DD/wheeler. The 3.6 etorque has a complex secondary battery system that I'm weary of. The 2.0 sounds weird and I don't like turbo throttle feel, plus premium fuel. The 3.0 diesel I actually like but my commute makes me a bad candidate for it plus the high maintenance cost and complexity are a turn off. The 392 is awesome no question, but it's not a practical DD and I'm not spending $75k on a wrangler. The 4xE is interesting but not on a vehicle that is designed to get you away from electrical outlets.

I guess the problem is simply just having choice. I kind of wish it were the old days of having the 3.6 and that's it. I'll likely be getting the XR package so I'll have the 3.6 etorque and I'm sure it will be great. It seems ridiculous to not be able to choose a clear winner, but maybe there isn't.

I've always felt Jeep should offer the 5.7 Hemi V8 in the Wrangler. Would be a perfect combination without much added cost.

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
I've always felt Jeep should offer the 5.7 Hemi V8 in the Wrangler. Would be a perfect combination without much added cost.
I would love a 5.7 2 door!

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler unlimited rubicon
What all would it take to get this done? Trying to understand
Superchips has a tune already and also the Jeep shown at the easter jeep safari has the 2.0 with those numbers.

foxredlab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
Kinda funny how 4T owners keep having to justify their decision & feel attacked. That speaks volumes about which engine is a better choice.
This is ironic. I‘ve read through this entire thread and I got the impression you seem to be the one most concerned with justifying your decision.
I’m ordering a 2022 and I’m still on the fence in regards to which engine. Deep down I know it’s the 392, but unfortunately my wife doesn’t share that opinion.
Sponsored