There is no perfect engine

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
why do we now have to turn the radio off instead of turning it on when we want to listen as it should be?
Possibly there's a malfunction with the head unit? My Uconnect is always off when I start the vehicle.

I do wish there was a way to defeat the recurring nanny screen text warning.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
If you only did slow speed off roading, never had to merge on the freeway, and were good with ~100hp to the wheels the 4.0L was great. Lifted, big tires, up a steep grade? I hope you like cruising 45mph in the right lane. We've owned over a dozen Jeeps and aside from the 4.7l v8 in the wj, this 2.0t is the only one that will not only maintain speed, but actually accelerate up steep mountain grades even loaded down with camping gear and tools. I'll stick with modern minivan parts over outdated tractor engines every day of the week.
Not too bad on 33s with the 4.10 gears. I'm sure I'll get 300k miles on it before an overhaul. But, yeah, the couple of times my TJ took us out to California via Texas, we were getting lapped pretty good in the right lane going balls out at 85mph.

If they had continued to develop it like the 258 to 4.0 transition where fuel injection and improved headers upped the hp by 40, I think it could still be a good engine.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
Definitely an age-old question, it is nice Jeep offers such a variety. I myself am torn between the 2.0 and diesel. I loved/miss my old diesel and it's mileage range, I do not like the new-ish emissions stuff. I also love what turbo engines have to offer and with a tune, they can be even better. I am not a fan of naturally aspirated engines, they're boring and lacking in power.
I guess some are scared of anything new/unconventional and potentially better powered, likely also scared of their own shadow.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely an age-old question, it is nice Jeep offers such a variety. I myself am torn between the 2.0 and diesel. I loved/miss my old diesel and it's mileage range, I do not like the new-ish emissions stuff. I also love what turbo engines have to offer and with a tune, they can be even better. I am not a fan of naturally aspirated engines, they're boring and lacking in power.
I guess some are scared of anything new/unconventional and potentially better powered, likely also scared of their own shadow.
Turbos are not “new” or “unconventional.” They were all the rage back in the 1980s and 1990s. But many got burned by turbo engines that didn’t deliver the promised economy, and crapped out after only 50,000 or 60,000 miles. To the point that every automaker ditched turbos and went back to V6s and V8s for the following 20 years.

Automakers now claim that this time turbos are different; they are built to last a long time, blah blah blah...

Call me skeptic. I’ve been around the block long enough to learn that auto executives will say anything that gets them a big fat bonus.

The 2.0T is off to a good start...so far. We shall see. I’m happy to let others be the guinea pigs.

Last edited:

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
PS - the history of EcoDiesel has been plagued by issues. Every time FCA claims it “redesigned it thoroughly” and this time it “got it right.”

Riiight....

Wanna diesel? Get a Dodge Cummins or a GMC Duramax. Those diesels have earned their worth.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
Turbos are not “new” or “unconventional.” They were all the rage back in the 1980s and 1990s. But many got burned by turbo engines that didn’t deliver the promised economy, and crapped out after only 50,000 or 60,000 miles. To the point that every automaker ditched turbos and went back to V6s and V8s for the following 20 years.

Automakers now claim that this time turbos are different; they are built to last a long time, blah blah blah...

Call me skeptic. I’ve been around the block long enough to learn that auto executives will say anything that gets them a big fat bonus.

The 2.0T is off to a good start...so far. We shall see. I’m happy to let others be the guinea pigs.
Agreed turbos themselves are not new, I had a '91 straight 6 twin turbo. It was a beast of an engine and I loved driving it every day. I also took meticulous care of it versus my ex-girlfriend who never changed her oil after 60k miles :headbang: It's going to come down to ownership expectations and willingness to perform maintenance. I will never trust what automakers have to say about their products, that's blind ignorance lol. Every manufacturer will have their issues. My diesels were a F450 7.3 and a 2500 Denali with the L5P, both solid platforms. My L5P had a DEF issue but I would still drive another if my situation warranted one. After also owning a few Tacomas with the 3.6, and having them fall flat on their face, I just do not enjoy the N/A engines in that range.

Always best to be a skeptic. The 2.0 has been out a while and is showing solid results and the 3.0 looks okay as well, these forums and social media in general are always going to have more complaints versus praises. People having fun are less inclined to waste time lambasting something versus those experiencing issues and looking to air their grievances.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
The radio stays set where you left it, turn it off before you shut off the engine?
Yes
The radio stays set where you left it, turn it off before you shut off the engine?
[First question I asked on test drive and was told “That’s the way they are now” verified by service mgr. and stupid me believed they knew what they were talking about. Time to dig through the manual again and see what I might have missed. Thanks

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
I am not a fan of naturally aspirated engines, they're boring and lacking in power.
We are direct opposites!!! My BMW M2 is a twin turbo inline 6 and I miss my naturally aspirated 911 daily. 911 was FASTER & I didn't have to suffer turbo lag. Love new things but sometimes older is better.

Tuning is a good point tho!

And no, I'm not scared of my shadow đź‘»

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
7" longer & 4" wider

Hope next Gen Wrangler doesn't get that bloated!
I've said before that I'd like to see the JL put on a diet, with respect to the JM that will follow it. As much as I like this generation of Wrangler, they look almost comical when parked next to a TJ.

Consumers are spoiled for choice if they want a larger vehicle.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Not too bad on 33s with the 4.10 gears. I'm sure I'll get 300k miles on it before an overhaul. But, yeah, the couple of times my TJ took us out to California via Texas, we were getting lapped pretty good in the right lane going balls out at 85mph.

If they had continued to develop it like the 258 to 4.0 transition where fuel injection and improved headers upped the hp by 40, I think it could still be a good engine.
Reintroduce it with a turbo. Straight 6 low end torque will help with turbo lag, and forced induction will help it get out of it's own way.

MonLee

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Sport S
I'm loving my 3.6 e torque so far. I'll never fully trust any i4 with tons of low end torque. Tons of low end torque=tons of stress in the engine. That thing better be bulletproof to last a long time.

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
plus premium fuel
Three years on and this misinformation still persists.
91 is recommended but not required.

Jeep Wrangler JL There is no perfect engine 20210904_130452

2 door 2.0 and love it. Tons of torque out the gate make It a rocket off the line and the 8 speed auto is fantastic.
Grunts up steep obstacles without fail and the jump when passing is surprising. Run only 87 octane and have had zero issues through two Las Vegas summers.... and gets solid gas mileage.

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
I've said before that I'd like to see the JL put on a diet, with respect to the JM that will follow it. As much as I like this generation of Wrangler, they look almost comical when parked next to a TJ.

Consumers are spoiled for choice if they want a larger vehicle.
All companies want their vehicle fleets to get better MPG but keep making them bigger and heavier. STUPID

My M2 makes 405hp & 406 ft/lbs of torque...but it's so heavy I can't plant my left foot without traction control kicking in. Defeat traction control and I just get a HUGH burnout. Launch control works well but tries to kill you 🤣 ...So, to get traction I need newish tires & 90 degree heat...I know, off topic but frustrating!!!
Sponsored