The Tire Carrier Thread

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 02 BMW M3, 91 BMW E30
Hmmm that's a good light combo. You running bead locks? I figure by the weight you're running Pats or Coopers.
Method MR312 non-beadlocks with Cooper STT Pros. Not the lightest but not the heaviest by any stretch either.

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Installed my ACE Tire Carrier. This was a huge pain in the ass that took about six hours. Instructions would have made a ton of difference. Their YouTube video is helpful, but they skip a lot of steps that had me looking at other tire carrier installs on YouTube (Motobilt and Evo) that were more exhaustive. For instance, ACE provides no instructions on how to remove and remount the camera, so I had to consult other videos.

I’m also not happy with the powder coat. I’ve decided I’m just going to order bare metal from now on and get powder coat (or rhino lining) local. This was well packaged, but still many chips in the coat. I spent some time with a rattle can, but a lot of it just came back off in the install. Sigh.

I did one tweak to it. The anemic third brake light is laughable. Since I still have a bumper mounted license plate, I reused my Mopar third brake light and a drill. I’ll come back later with something else when I finally replace my bumper.

Ultimately, I’m happy with it. I’d do it again.

0CF18F48-73B6-43BB-9D3B-DFBC5F879C1B.jpeg

26CE10B3-71A6-4303-ABAD-63611DF2EA74.jpeg

1835116E-8B59-451F-958C-E35124E3416F.jpeg

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Still waiting on Roam...about to give up all hope on them.
I had to give up on Roam. I wanted the rear bumper and tire carrier also. I have the Roam front bumper and side rails. But after passing up on several off roading trips because the bumper was going to be available in November, December, January, end of February, middle of March, and so on, I had to buy somewhere else.

DrowningTurtle

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Army
I had to give up on Roam. I wanted the rear bumper and tire carrier also. I have the Roam front bumper and side rails. But after passing up on several off roading trips because the bumper was going to be available in November, December, January, end of February, middle of March, and so on, I had to buy somewhere else.
I just can’t seem to find another one in that price point that I like.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I just can’t seem to find another one in that price point that I like.
I started trying to buy the Roam Off road rear bumper on July 18,2018. I had 37 in tires on a beadlock wheel on the stock tailgate. I figured they would be fine on the street, but did not really want to off road with the big tire on the stock tailgate. So I kept passing on off roading trips that our local Jeep club does, thinking hey the Roam rear bumper will be available before the next one. Then the next one then the next one then the next one and so on and so on. I will literally not going on trips because I was waiting month after month on Roam. They were introducing new bumpers, and fuel tanks and suspension systems and bike racks........ but not a rear bumper. I kept getting it will be ready next month. So I bit the bullet and bought something else. The funny thing is there are others running Roam rear bumpers, Yet I could not buy one.

I love the Roam front bumper and side rails. Probably would have loved the rear bumper also. But none of that matters, because I could not buy it.

DrowningTurtle

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Army
I started trying to buy the Roam Off road rear bumper on July 18,2018. I had 37 in tires on a beadlock wheel on the stock tailgate. I figured they would be fine on the street, but did not really want to off road with the big tire on the stock tailgate. So I kept passing on off roading trips that our local Jeep club does, thinking hey the Roam rear bumper will be available before the next one. Then the next one then the next one then the next one and so on and so on. I will literally not going on trips because I was waiting month after month on Roam. They were introducing new bumpers, and fuel tanks and suspension systems and bike racks........ but not a rear bumper. I kept getting it will be ready next month. So I bit the bullet and bought something else. The funny thing is there are others running Roam rear bumpers, Yet I could not buy one.

I love the Roam front bumper and side rails. Probably would have loved the rear bumper also. But none of that matters, because I could not buy it.
Ya I’ve seen a select few end up with the roam rear bumper. It’s a shame it’s been almost a year since it’s been on there site and I haven’t seen it in stock. I get that they’re smaller but still. I got told after Easter Jeep safari that they would be testing a few changes to it and if it all worked out it would enter production. I’ve just decided to go another route.

Sponsored

Wightmn

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Installed the new TerraFlex Alpha. Pulled the tire much closer to the gate. They need an option for license plate/light. Otherwise, it’s a nicely engineered unit.

Anybody need the Jeep OEM oversized spare tire brackets?

EDFA5E5C-9105-47F2-871A-2D51796FBD1F.jpeg

52E38D5B-6C78-46FB-8665-81D82F0EC0CE.jpeg

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
Installed my ACE Tire Carrier. This was a huge pain in the ass that took about six hours. Instructions would have made a ton of difference. Their YouTube video is helpful, but they skip a lot of steps that had me looking at other tire carrier installs on YouTube (Motobilt and Evo) that were more exhaustive. For instance, ACE provides no instructions on how to remove and remount the camera, so I had to consult other videos.

I’m also not happy with the powder coat. I’ve decided I’m just going to order bare metal from now on and get powder coat (or rhino lining) local. This was well packaged, but still many chips in the coat. I spent some time with a rattle can, but a lot of it just came back off in the install. Sigh.

I did one tweak to it. The anemic third brake light is laughable. Since I still have a bumper mounted license plate, I reused my Mopar third brake light and a drill. I’ll come back later with something else when I finally replace my bumper.

Ultimately, I’m happy with it. I’d do it again.
Thanks for the info.

How long did yours take to show up after ordering?

I currently have the mopar reinforcement, but after adding a bead lock wheel with 4 inch back spacing, in additional to the already present 37x12.5 SST pro's it seems real sketchy for wheeling.

Hesldman45

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Lift is done and I'm still looking for a setup to haul the new spare tire. Any updated news on the @TeraFlex Alpha tailgate reinforcement?

%JMz5siMR7+PtcHarST5Gg.jpg

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Thanks for the info.

How long did yours take to show up after ordering?

I currently have the mopar reinforcement, but after adding a bead lock wheel with 4 inch back spacing, in additional to the already present 37x12.5 SST pro's it seems real sketchy for wheeling.
I think it took about five weeks from order to delivery, which was square in the middle of the 4-6 week window they gave. I too had the Mopar reinforcement and had always thought of it as temporary. I only run 35's, but my wheels are heavy (tire + wheel = 115 lbs), so I'm much happier with that weight being off the tailgate itself.

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
So i drove away with mopar jeep 3rd brake light sitting on my bumper, It fell off out of the view of home security cameras, and someone helped themselves to it. I have the only jeep on my block you wold think someone would have set it on a sidewalk or my driveway, I have an ace tire carrier on order, any recommendations for a 3rd brake light replacement? Or should I rebuy an OEM one.
Sponsored