wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
After reading through this thread, I also ordered the ACE Stand alone tire carrier and a rear bumper. When I called them as I had a few questions, I found that they were about an hour and a half drive from my house, and AJ from ACE said, come on up and we will give you a tour of the place. So i jumped in the JLUR and drove up

AJ and Nick were great to meet. Their facility was clean and AJ took me on a tour and showed me the products as they were being manufactured. Just a great experiance all the way around. My order should be in soon and I can't wait to put the tire carrier and rear bumper on. I just wish I would have known about this company at the beginning of my build as I like supporting local business when possible.
Sponsored

MACjeeps

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Sting Gray, 3.6L | 2016 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock, Rhino | 1979 CJ5
I went with the new Teraflex Alpha just released. Solid with a 37” beadlock. I like the billet quick release to access the spare. It is attached to the Mopar reinforcement brackets and it re-uses the stock 3rd light.

598E3ADB-D29E-4F2A-A397-D8A0227D4E36.jpeg

85DF8EAC-5FB7-42E1-94CC-C4A33B8EDB48.jpeg

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 02 BMW M3, 91 BMW E30
I went with the new Teraflex Alpha just released. Solid with a 37” beadlock. I like the billet quick release to access the spare. It is attached to the Mopar reinforcement brackets and it re-uses the stock 3rd light.
I did the same setup and I'm not happy. Does your tailgate rattle and sag like mine does?

jayinyourway

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Had some trouble installing one of the carriers that has you change the inner brackets (the ones that attach to the Jeep frame, behind the plastic that also houses the subwoofer). Went to put the OEM carrier back on and had a bolt that holds the bracket onto the frame fall down into the frame. Anybody know what size bolt this is?

Sponsored

aerosynch

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Teraflex Alpha installed as well. My 39” is nice and tight against the tailgate and bumpstops. Still want to get a hinge reinforcement so waiting to see what is released at EJS.

ED1AF64F-0980-43CF-8B54-908385029001.jpeg

C0BA93C3-2105-4697-AB96-B5E09B3690CE.jpeg

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
Teraflex Alpha installed as well. My 39” is nice and tight against the tailgate and bumpstops. Still want to get a hinge reinforcement so waiting to see what is released at EJS.

ED1AF64F-0980-43CF-8B54-908385029001.jpeg

C0BA93C3-2105-4697-AB96-B5E09B3690CE.jpeg
Are you really running 39's with a 2.5" lift?

Meatwad

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara Unlimited JL
Vehicle Showcase
I finished installing the Barricade rear bumper and tire carrier this weekend. I'm running 35s on a Mopar lift. Instructions estimated 2 hours, 6-7 was probably more realistic due to fabrication and problem solving. Some minor drilling and creativity, nothing terrifying, but time consuming and fairly frustrating. Overall I am happy with the end result, but a little more due diligence on the part of the manufacturer could have made this install MUCH easier and potentially cleaner looking.

PROS
  • Solid construction. Once its all put together its super solid and there is no sagging or bouncing
  • Provides all of the components to accommodate relocating the backup camera, third brake light and a mounting bracket with LEDs for license plate. This seems to be somewhat rare for those of us with a backup camera.
  • Somewhat modular. Allows for multiple configurations/locations for mounting license plate and gaskets/metal plates to fill any holes you don't use.
  • The entire assembly swings very easy with the help of two bearings. I has heard that the one for the JK was difficult to swing until it was broken in a bit, but that is not the case with this one. Very easy to use.
CONS
  • Frustrating that the way the frame holes were punched made a super clean electrical install impossible for running wires inside the carrier. they kept getting hung up and the holes were not small enough to accommodate the wiring harness included.
  • Had to drill holes just to make an opening to run the backup camera wire. literally impossible not to.
  • Instructions were vague and skipped steps that would have made installation MUCH easier. Here's an easy one. Don't fully tighten down the four bolts securing the pin to the bumper until it is all put together with the weight of the tire to see how the hinge will line up. Same thing for the "keyhole" that the latch aligns to. Very minor shifts in how it bolts to the bumper translate to big changes in the latch alignment.
  • Components that were included made it obvious that whoever chose them has never actually installed this on a JL. For instance, the backup camera harness they include is male/male and needs to be male/female. I ended up using the OEM one since it was barely long enough.
  • Electrical connectors were incorrect and required me to shave down some of the plastic tabs and tape them together so they would line up.

Here is a link to it on ExtremeTerrain. Keep in mind you'll also need the Barricade bumper. https://www.extremeterrain.com/barricade-extreme-hd-tire-carrier-2018-jeep-jl-jeep.html

IMG-9241.JPG

IMG-9242.JPG

IMG-9243.JPG

IMG_9245.jpg

sundevil827

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Not a ton to add from last post, however I did get the license plate/camera/3rd tail-light relocate kit from ACE and was thrilled. The slant back works extremely well, although with 40's, I kinda hope I never get a flat, because it took 3 of us to get the tire on it, on the plus side that with the ACE Hammertown rear facia I have great clearance in the rear.

The only issue I had, and it's me, not ACE, is that I wish the rear tire sat 1-2" lower. Where it is right now did not quite agree with my garage door (backing in was fine, but to get out I had to air down, and then repair some molding....but that's a whole 'nother story.) Otherwise, exactly what I wanted.

@ACE Engineering

fKgPX1AxLuTX799gEuPv3iST45_pH6fSsGF7k029Wu1ZJmJugLYf93Rmxbhv5Uz8h2boz8Kuw6MgCrl56N-EYIR5HA=w2400.jpg

MubENkbVS67WEr8pwoKY1a1rImFvr1EVXgd9wCTz325hvOWQMy2mJyhNt08uzX_lZ0hhgLGwOXJ_fbDW7CuRvPuxYQ=w2400.jpg

Last edited:

aerosynch

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Are you really running 39's with a 2.5" lift?
Sure am. Waiting on my American Adventure Lab front LED kit so I can remove the black part of the flares but around town it’s great so far.

83907BE2-2360-4A34-8D8B-0A2667A12618.jpeg

Sponsored

Wightmn

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I did the same setup and I'm not happy. Does your tailgate rattle and sag like mine does?
Are you using the mopar gate reinforcement?

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 02 BMW M3, 91 BMW E30
Are you using the mopar gate reinforcement?
Yes. I have a 112lb 37" spare and I'm not confident about it long-term. I'm getting a good 1/4" of sag and it rattles over bigger bumps in the road. It's annoying. probably going to go with the Maximus-3 carrier when it's released.

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
Yes. I have a 112lb 37" spare and I'm not confident about it long-term. I'm getting a good 1/4" of sag and it rattles over bigger bumps in the road. It's annoying. probably going to go with the Maximus-3 carrier when it's released.
Wheel and tire total 112?
Sponsored