Sponsored

Terrible Seats

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
OK, so I finally found something I don't like about my Wrangler, and it's potentially a deal breaker. I have slipped disks in my lower spine and I just realized that the seats in this thing are horrible, they give me a back ache just driving across town. There's no way I'll be able to do road trips in this situation. I mean, this is bad, it's ruining the fun of driving it. The adjustments are useless and the seat doesn't tilt at all. The seat in my 20 year old Blazer is more comfortable because it tilts back and forth, and I keep it tilted back slightly so I'm sort of pushed into the seat. Short of spending $1000 to replace the front seats, what can I do to mitigate this? I'm afraid I might end up having to sell my dream car because it literally hurts.
A friend of mine has a bad back also. Take your JL to a good auto upholstery shop. They correct seats all the time. They can replace or add all different types of foam and support. Even memory foam or gel. Helped tremendously with my friend. Good luck.
Sponsored

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
If Viper88 idea does not work, here is an option.

Corbeau Baja XRS Suspension Seats

Jeep Wrangler JL Terrible Seats CBU96601PR_a

The non-retracting version is what is installed in my '83 CJ.
For me, the suspension in the seats along with the side bolsters takes some pressure off my back.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Short of spending $1000 to replace the front seats, what can I do to mitigate this? I'm afraid I might end up having to sell my dream car because it literally hurts.
Do you always sensationalize like this?

You like 20 year old Blazer seats. Get one and mount it on your rig. Done.

OP
OP
Formattc

Formattc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Sarge Green
If Viper88 idea does not work, here is an option.

Corbeau Baja XRS Suspension Seats

Jeep Wrangler JL Terrible Seats CBU96601PR_a

The non-retracting version is what is installed in my '83 CJ.
For me, the suspension in the seats along with the side bolsters takes some pressure off my back.
Thanks man, and BTW, I dig your profile photo. I've done some paddling in your area myself, Nantahala and Pigeon rivers, we tried to do the Chattooga, you know, just so we could say we paddled the "Deliverance river", but there wasn't enough water while we were there.

Me at the upper falls, just above NOC:

Jeep Wrangler JL Terrible Seats 1590583671642

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
OK, so I finally found something I don't like about my Wrangler, and it's potentially a deal breaker. I have slipped disks in my lower spine and I just realized that the seats in this thing are horrible, they give me a back ache just driving across town. There's no way I'll be able to do road trips in this situation. I mean, this is bad, it's ruining the fun of driving it. The adjustments are useless and the seat doesn't tilt at all. The seat in my 20 year old Blazer is more comfortable because it tilts back and forth, and I keep it tilted back slightly so I'm sort of pushed into the seat. Short of spending $1000 to replace the front seats, what can I do to mitigate this? I'm afraid I might end up having to sell my dream car because it literally hurts.
They are the worst seats I've sat in I think....or close to it. Sad because the JK seats were really good.

In the JL they're flat, hard, narrow, and hit mid-thigh. They also have a weird lumbar shape and ZERO tilt adjustment.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry for your back problems. Jeeps get many complaints, but “uncomfortable seats” is not a common one. For uncomfortable seats you should try a Toyota Tacoma; that will wreck a perfectly good spine!

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
Sorry, I must of missed something, but what does being a Sahara or Rubicon has anything to do with the design of the seats?
I should have been more articulate, I was basically commenting on the overall ride between the two. Seats are exactly same construction.

OP
OP
Formattc

Formattc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Sarge Green
I adjusted the seat all the way down and the height adjustment does provide a small amount of tilt, as in, it tilts back the lower it goes. I think this will help but it won't solve the problem. I'm going to do whatever I can short of spending thousands in order to fix this. I do otherwise love the Jeep and want to keep it. I still don't get why they provided no tilt adjustment. I think it's weird that the height adjustment also causes tilt, as in, the higher the seat is adjusted the more it tilts FORWARD. That's just dumb. When is a tilted forward seat ever comfortable?

OP
OP
Formattc

Formattc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Sarge Green
You like 20 year old Blazer seats. Get one and mount it on your rig. Done.
LOL, that'd be great but the seat in the Blazer is a power seat, so....
I'm also pretty sure that it's too wide to fit in the Jeep.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

have you put a thought into trying a small pillow or towel under your legs or even rolling a towel and stuffing it into the corner of the seat and backrest. This is something my girl has shown me ( shes a Doc of physical therapy ) and it has changed my life. i used to just deal with my lower back pain after driving anything over a couple hours. It does help a lot and with some of the exercises she has me doing whew no more chiropractor and my down time is pretty much gone. I find that my 76 GMC seat is thee most comfortable driving seat I've ever had. puts me in the prefect upright and comfortable position. Not sure why they don't do full bench seats anymore like that truck has. Best of luck!

Sponsored

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
My JL pinches my right leg nerve somehow when I drive it for 2+ hours so roadtrips have me constantly shifting, it's super uncomfortable. I've had a lot of cars and don't remember any of their seats giving me this weird pain I get with this but I'm also in my 30s now so maybe that's just life. I definitely don't find the seats to be impressively comfortable but I get a lot of compliments on them so maybe it's just me.

I've mentioned this on here before on big posts and only had one other person with my problem so far. I need to test out a few seat cushion setups.

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Naw it's way up my leg, like my upper thigh and I feel it through my lower back, it's not me hitting the shifter or anything it just eventually happens after a few hours on the road. It feels like a nerve in my upper back leg going to my spine. I'm on the short end (5'7) so I just assume it's the seats made for taller people but man it's rough to road trip in for me and that's most of what I do.

Someone recommended some ergonomic mesh seat cushions but now I can't find them.

I've been assuming it's sciatica or something.

I might grab a purple cushion I'm digging into seat cushions again..
Sponsored