Sponsored

Terrible Death Wobble…Please Help

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
How did you go about having the dealer replace the stabilizer and steering box with updated ones, was it covered under warranty? I have a 2020 JLU, 3 year warranty is up in the next few months.
I told them it was all under a tsb and the steering was vague, as well as a few other key words/phrases. There were updates for issues under warranty. You just have to see what the symptoms required under the TSB, for them to replace the parts. Use the key words they have listed in those TSB's.
I think it was either 2020 or 2022 that they started using the steel steering boxes. Check yours first.
Sponsored

Willys_Wonka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUW
I told them it was all under a tsb and the steering was vague, as well as a few other key words/phrases. There were updates for issues under warranty. You just have to see what the symptoms required under the TSB, for them to replace the parts. Use the key words they have listed in those TSB's.
I think it was either 2020 or 2022 that they started using the steel steering boxes. Check yours first.
TSB? How do I know what steering box I have?

dumpsterRatz

First Name
Dumpster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
when my tires treads got low and needed replacing the death wobble manifested for the first time in my 2018 jlu

then when I replaced the tires with some rubicon tires and rims it immediately went away over the same triggering roads... now that the rubi rubber is worn down the DW has returned with a vengeance. does that make sense that just low tread would cause DW?

Lager

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon Diesel
then when I replaced the tires with some rubicon tires and rims it immediately went away over the same triggering roads... now that the rubi rubber is worn down the DW has returned with a vengeance. does that make sense that just low tread would cause DW?
It does make sense as your tires probably have some uneven wear which will throw them out of balance.

I started using internal tire balancing beads about 15 years ago on my TJ and they are great to
keep the tires always balanced. Even if the treads get clogged with mud the beads will keep them rolling nicely and adjust as some of the mud falls off.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
TSB? How do I know what steering box I have?
TSB- Technical Service Bulletin
Aluminum is the one that goes out, black painted steel is the updated steering box.

Sponsored

Willys_Wonka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUW
It does make sense as your tires probably have some uneven wear which will throw them out of balance.

I started using internal tire balancing beads about 15 years ago on my TJ and they are great to
keep the tires always balanced. Even if the treads get clogged with mud the beads will keep them rolling nicely and adjust as some of the mud falls off.
I got a 2020 JLUW and recently noticed some “dead space” in the wheel while turning. No active recalls after running the VIN# on the Mopar site. As mentioned, I’m approaching the end of the initial 3-year warranty so want to ensure any issues are resolved prior to the deadline. Vehicle has 17k miles, running 285/70/17 tires (aftermarket) for the majority of the miles. I also got the Mopar LCA’s to install, which will pair with the rubicon spring swap done.

LCW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(formerly '22 JLUR) '23 Bronco Badlands 2dr 2.7
At roughly how many miles do people start feeling death wobble? My 22 is just about a year old and have about 26,500 miles on it. Stock until about 10K. 35s and 392 springs/shocks since then.

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
Got a 21 Willys, and just coming up on 40k. Rock solid steering and never had an issue. I did replace the Steering stabilizer with a Fox yesterday, but for no particular reason other than I wanted to.

G.

Austin23

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon