Terrible Seats

Myron

First Name
Myron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler, 1964 Land Rover SIIA 88
They are the worst seats I've sat in I think....or close to it. Sad because the JK seats were really good.

In the JL they're flat, hard, narrow, and hit mid-thigh. They also have a weird lumbar shape and ZERO tilt adjustment.
Is it possible to install JK seats in a JL Wrangler?
Sponsored

sardog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler X-Gone, 2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
I went riding at lunch after reading this and don't understand how anyone can possibly think that the seats tilt forward, much less are that uncomfortable. Of course, comparing this to other previous vehicles can almost always be ridiculous because of what this vehicle is designed for. Especially to the OP, you have bought the most rugged version of a vehicle designed to still be capable and utilitarian and a seat that is designed to give as much comfort as it can while still providing as much stability as it can while going through all types of terrains. There is a balance to be met and they are shooting to hit a target for an average person, not someone who already has back issues. IMO, you are holding too high of a standard to expect them to design a seat around your particular problem. There are more comfortable seats out there which will provide you with what you are looking for and, again IMO, that would be your responsibility to pursue. Personally, I would hate a seat that had any more tilt than what it currently has because that would make the off-road aspect of being able to see and remain secure much more difficult.

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Rubicon axles
Not sure if you have cloth seats but here are my observations :) I have a base Sport with cloth seats. Not the best seats but not too bad. Recently I had a chance to buy a full set of Rubicon leather seats, not just covers, but actual seats. Turns out leather seats a noticeably more comfortable than cloth seats. So if you dont have leather, maybe try leather seats first? I see sets of them on Ebay from time to time.

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Rubicon axles
I went riding at lunch after reading this and don't understand how anyone can possibly think that the seats tilt forward, much less are that uncomfortable.
Most Wranglers are a bit lower in front to help with fuel mileage, so if you have a seat all the way up and did not correct the rake I can see how a seat might tilt slightly forward.

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The JL seats are definitely less comfortable than the JK. Find someone with a JK, plant your ass in the seat, sit back, and you'll absolutely notice the difference.
I had a JK and JL at the same time. I didn't notice a difference.

sardog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler X-Gone, 2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Most Wranglers are a bit lower in front to help with fuel mileage, so if you have a seat all the way up and did not correct the rake I can see how a seat might tilt slightly forward.
Mine is the stock cloth Rubicon seat and stock suspension and it doesn’t feel that way to me. I don’t doubt that people feel it but I don’t see it. Also, I am more comfortable sitting upright as opposed to leaning back.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
The JL seats are definitely less comfortable than the JK. Find someone with a JK, plant your ass in the seat, sit back, and you'll absolutely notice the difference.
Matter of opinion. I disagree. JL driver’s seat is much more comfortable than JK, to me. The added comfort comes from the new lumbar support.

There’s always going to be a fat guy, tall guy, short guy, injured guy who will not like the seat in any given vehicle. The average driver that they’re targeting, however, will be happy.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Matter of opinion. I disagree. JL driver’s seat is much more comfortable than JK, to me. The added comfort comes from the new lumbar support.

There’s always going to be a fat guy, tall guy, short guy, injured guy who will not like the seat in any given vehicle. The average driver that they’re targeting, however, will be happy.
I share your opinion :)

wrangster

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the JLUS, New Ford Ranger 4X4 Lariat
Occupation
Retired and happy!
Vehicle Showcase
I have low back issues and since I installed Katzkin leather seats they feel much better now. They add more cushion to your existing seat and more wrap around feel. Check them out they are a great deal .

Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
There’s never going to be a good time or place to post this so I’m going to take advantage of this thread and say it anyway:

Hmm...warm up your buttocks. The heated seats should help to alleviate any kind of pain and discomfort. Plus, you’ll get to... say it with me... warm your buttocks.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Seat comfort is 100% subjective, there are no bad seats or good seats, it all depends upon the person. I left Toyotas because their seats kill my back, my wrangler seats are some of the most comfortable seats I've ever had. That doesn't mean one is good and one is bad, its just what works for me and my beat up old body.

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I also have back issues and the angle of the JLR seats, lacking a tilt back option for the lower seat, aggravates a pinch nerve. Not as comfy for long term road trips as my RAM.

it did help to do the 1/2 nut mod that raises the front of the lower seat - cost $5 and 20 min. Makes the seat much more tolerable.

OP
OP
Formattc

Formattc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Sarge Green
I also have back issues and the angle of the JLR seats, lacking a tilt back option for the lower seat, aggravates a pinch nerve. Not as comfy for long term road trips as my RAM.

it did help to do the 1/2 nut mod that raises the front of the lower seat - cost $5 and 20 min. Makes the seat much more tolerable.
Thanks! What does this entail, and is there a risk of the seat rail bending?

Quadjeeper

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
Occupation
retired
I adjusted the seat all the way down and the height adjustment does provide a small amount of tilt, as in, it tilts back the lower it goes. I think this will help but it won't solve the problem. I'm going to do whatever I can short of spending thousands in order to fix this. I do otherwise love the Jeep and want to keep it. I still don't get why they provided no tilt adjustment. I think it's weird that the height adjustment also causes tilt, as in, the higher the seat is adjusted the more it tilts FORWARD. That's just dumb. When is a tilted forward seat ever comfortable?
That may be to move your head forward to clear the roll bar. I've found I hit it with my head if the seat is all of the way back. I'm only 6', but not much room.
Sponsored