Terrible Death Wobble…Please Help

treesmacker

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Sport S 2.0, 2013 Honda Accord V6
- Purchase and self-install steering damper as temporary band-aid to at least increase safety during driving this month. Fully intend to keep searching for root cause even if this appears to solve the problem.
While it has been said many times here that a steering stabilizer doesn't necessarily fix the source of the DW, it can help if it does happen. If replacing the stabilizer, you may want to also consider the new Roadmaster "Exact Center"
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...is-a-steering-stabilizer-new-for-jeeps.84839/
Sponsored

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
The thread linked by @Roky pretty much covers it soup to nuts. Detailed progressive approach to troubleshooting and mitigation. I had a run with DW on an old TJ which was fixed by retorquing the lower control arms , but the current JL is doing good (so far).

Be advised ... if you decide to purchase the updated Mopar one there is a bleeding procedure to follow before installation.
I believe, and someone will certainly correct me if I am wrong, there is no bleeding procedure for the Fox 2.0 stabilizer sold by Mopar.
Curious what you are bleeding for a steering stabilizer?

deserteagle56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon
Great advice - I am currently running the stock KO2s. Are those considered to be stiffer or flimsier from a sidewall perspective?
Stock KO2s are "C" rated tires. Those sidewalls are much flexier than the load range "E" Toyo Open Country M/Ts, which are about the stiffest sidewall you can buy.

But if you go that route, be prepared for a firmer ride. I run my Toyos at only 20 psi and even at that low pressure the sidewall bulge is barely noticeable.

sciotola88

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Ecodiesel and 2020 JTR
Occupation
Underwriter
please please please push the dealer to replace your steering box with the steel model. It was a huge difference for mine. Anyone who says "my aluminum box is just fine" has not driven the with updated box.

Silverblkrilla

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I didn’t read every post but I’d bet it’s your tires if they are the original ones. Running them in the mid 20’s is pretty low so the wear is probably screwed up and won’t improve by airing them up to the mid 30’s thousands of miles in. I change my PSI by the season. My tires are Nitto RG and I run them between 34-39 PSI depending on the season. Take your jeep to the dealerships and have them swap tires from a lot mule for a test drive and then go from there. Also I’d get an alignment and retorque everything if you’ve taken it off-road a few times and beat it up a little. If your stabilizer is blown by a decent one like a Fox TS.

Sponsored

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
The thread linked by @Roky pretty much covers it soup to nuts. Detailed progressive approach to troubleshooting and mitigation. I had a run with DW on an old TJ which was fixed by retorquing the lower control arms , but the current JL is doing good (so far).

Curious what you are bleeding for a steering stabilizer?
In the original and upgraded Mopar (red) steering dampeners there is a ported disc that allows the back and forth flow of gas and it has to be oriented in the up position. That's why they have the arrow stickers on them so you know in which direction it has to be installed, and which end goes where. Oddly enough it does not tell you whether the stickers should be visible from the front or the back.
When I had mine installed the mechanic just put it on with the arrows facing in the correct directions. Mechanic and I had to check new JLs on the lot to confirm it was being done right. Then we took it for a check ride, and no joy. Didn't make a lick of difference.
Subsequently myself, the mechanic, and the service manager are standing outside on a smoke break discussing the issue, and where to go from this point when the parts manager walks out and asks how it's going. We recount the tale to him and he asked if we bled the steering dampener. I looked at the mechanic, and he looked at me and we're both like "who the hell ever heard of that!" (Note the 310T in my signature ... I'm a red seal heavy truck mechanic as well), and we actually laughed at him, but the parts manager says "yea, there was a bulletin that came out on it". He went and got it and sure enough the steering dampener needs to be bled. So, we went through that process, reinstalled it, went for a check ride, and it worked like a charm. Who knew !!!
FWIW the Mopar Fox 2.0 steering dampener does not require bleeding.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Hello fellow Jeepers. My occasional death wobble has been getting increasingly worse over the last 3 months in my ‘18 JLUR. Now, every time I get on the freeway I am having to toss on my hazards and pull over. Happens if I hit the slightest bump between 45-70mph and is more likely to happen if I am slightly turning than going straight. Thought maybe the low psi I was running (24-26) might be a contributing factor, but airing up to 35 made no difference in the wobble frequency. Additionally, the drag link and tie rod bars have some give when I wiggle them by hand. My vehicle has never been serviced since day 1 as I have done all oil changes and tire rotations myself (54k miles). Do you suggest I take it in, or are there any recommended fixes I should look into. Hoping to take it out to Moab at the end of the month for my first off-roading, and want this taken care of before then.
Thanks in advance!
Here is the best death wobble step by step troubleshooting guide that I’ve seen, which Roky posted previously.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Hello fellow Jeepers. My occasional death wobble has been getting increasingly worse over the last 3 months in my ‘18 JLUR. Now, every time I get on the freeway I am having to toss on my hazards and pull over. Happens if I hit the slightest bump between 45-70mph and is more likely to happen if I am slightly turning than going straight. Thought maybe the low psi I was running (24-26) might be a contributing factor, but airing up to 35 made no difference in the wobble frequency. Additionally, the drag link and tie rod bars have some give when I wiggle them by hand. My vehicle has never been serviced since day 1 as I have done all oil changes and tire rotations myself (54k miles). Do you suggest I take it in, or are there any recommended fixes I should look into. Hoping to take it out to Moab at the end of the month for my first off-roading, and want this taken care of before then.
Thanks in advance!
Why are you running stock Rubi tires at so low of a pressure on the street?
And you've never taken her in at all over 4 years of TSBs and recalls? I get US people not trusting dealers but that's a little extreme.

I'd bet those tires are toast regardless of tread depth.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Here is the best death wobble step by step troubleshooting guide that I’ve seen, which Roky posted previously.
Great post.

For the OP, the take-away from all these posts is that there are many potentially contributing or root causes in a JL. With the 4 link suspension, plus trackbar, it can be complex.

But the model year 2018 biggest offenders were the (1) trackbar and (2) steering box, when these were relatively new/low miles. Guys have had success in quelling DW by using superduper steering dampers (a.k.a. stabilizers) and more caster. But, a good tight steering/suspension can drive without DW, even without a steering damper.

With a bit of mileage on these, we quickly started seeing balljoint issues. I think mine and others saw loose balljoints contributing to shimmy or maybe DW with as little as 20,000 miles. The biggest pill for me was spending ~$625 for 4 Dynatrac balljoints. I was used to spending $20-40 ea. for balljoints on regular GM cars and trucks. But the Dynatracs have more support from members than other brands, over the long haul, where other brands didn't last.

As you might imagine, a bit of wear and tear on a few of the usual list of suspect components add up. It's the sum of any/all loose components that matters. You might change just one of the components and it cures DW, but the others still have some looseness. Eventually, those will come back to haunt you.

Full blown DW beats the hell out of all the suspension and steering components. So the longer it persists the more damage it does to things like suspension bushings, wheel bearings, balljoints, steering dampers, etc..

Last edited:

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
Hey Kevin,

A few years back I started experiencing DW on my 2015 Power Wagon so I called Thuren Suspension to get some expert advice. The guys were extremely helpful but the first thing they asked me was what tire I was running. At the time I was running 35" BFG KO2s. The guy immediately told me, "change your tires as many solid front axle vehicles have trouble with certain tires". I was a little shocked as my tires we about a year old. His advice was to change to either Toyo or Nitto tires as they tend to balance better (he also recommended Michelin but nothing was comparable in that size). He may have suggested other brands but those two stand out in my mind. I bit the bullet and changed the tires and no DW!

I am a tried and true BFG guy and have them on my 2021 JLUR but when I go to replace my tires I will likely go with Nittos again like my PW. The guy at Thuren told me I can sell you $5K in suspension stuff but if you don't change your tires you will continue to chase the problem. I did eventually buy some suspension stuff from Thuren to include a Fox ATS stabilizer and front and rear track bars which made some nice improvements but the tires made one of the biggest difference. I hope this information helps. I know my experience isn't specific to my Jeep but a solid front axle is a solid front axle. Good luck with your fix, I know I didn't let my wife drive the truck when it was happening as it was very scary.
My TJ was very tire picky. I got yokos and they must have a stiff side wall. That and track bar replacement.

On my JL, DW with BFG at 23k miles. Went with steersmarts hd trackbar and I got falken wildpeak ats E load tires. No dw. People complain that E load are too stiff but I haven't experienced that with either. I run them at 30-35 psi.

Track bar is usually the main culprit in dw combined with out of balance tires. Stabilizer just hides it for awhile.

I may upgrade draglink and tie rod, add a sector shaft brace later.

Sponsored

panozgts

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
So based on your statement youve NEVER taken your Jeep into the shop to be even looked at even at the beginning of any symptoms? And you have loose drag link and tie rods? Thats nuts! Theres been recalls/TSBs and updates to parts over the last 4 years that youve been missing out on - no wonder you have DW. IMO Start by getting all updates and steering box update done, correct FEA specs and correct tire pressures - think about 38psi. Have them look over all suspension components when doing the steering while its up in the air. Have it replaced if any suspension part has issue - then see if issue corrected. Kind of hope youre joking about this but if not you gotta stay on top of that stuff.

401YJ

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Get a heavy duty Steering Stabilizer.

I have had YJ's, Cherokees, and TJ's and have never had a steering stabilizer on anything. I bought my wife a 2018 Rubicon JLU and could not get the DW out of it. The only thing I didn't do was replace the Steering Stabilizer because I know that it is only a band-aid. Well I am here to tell you a JL is not the same as any other Jeep. It needs a steering stabilizer that is stiffer than what ever piece of crap came on it from the factory. The dealer even replaced it once under warranty. I fought it for a year and it kept getting worse to the point I just hated driving the Jeep and people in the next lane would stop and swerve to get out of our way when they would see the front tires go crazy.

I finally broke down and put a Fox aftermarket stabilizer on which only took 20 minutes. I took the Jeep out for a drive completely expecting no change. The Jeep has not even tried to Death Wobble since. I would have never believed it, but I was wrong for sure.

Veets

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler sport diesel
Does the 2022 jeeps come with the updated steel gear box?

OP
OP
Jeep4Life0112

Jeep4Life0112

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Mojito)
Update:

I installed the AEV Steering Stabilizer this past weekend as my first step. After 24 hours I am happy to report that this seems to be an effective temporary fix. Besides an instant improvement to the overall vehicle handling, I was unable to induce death wobble on the stretch of road that usually does so with 100% certainty. Relieved that this simple part install has what appears to be such a dramatic impact.

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Correct me if I’m wrong but 100% stock Jeep should not have any death wobble….Only lifted jeeps experince death wobble as the lift kit messes with the geometry.
My 2021 JLR has 10,200 miles. Death Wobble started at about 8,500 miles with a little steering wheel wiggle when going over freeway expansion joints, particularly on curves. The Jeep has had no suspension modifications. I take it off road occasionally and not too complex.

The slight wiggle slowly turned into a minor wobble over the next 1,200 miles. I started researching Death Wobble.

It seems Jeep used bushings in the suspension that tailored to 1) cost, and 2) NVH concerns due to the continuing civility customers wanted in their expensive Jeeps. Those bushings have varying degrees of life and the wear generally starts with the front track bar. Check the ball joints. The drag link is next, and then the tie rod.

By the time you’ve replaced those pieces, and the track bar bracket, the rear track bar should be upgraded. And the steering stabilizer.

I’ve started by replacing the front track bar. I bought a Synergy for $280. It has calmed the DW. When the wobble starts coming back, I’m going to replace the drag link; then the tie rod… and so on.

The problem is OEM design and tier three quality control. Don’t fight it at the dealer level, that’s just aggravating. Step by step, just replace the side-to-side control arms. If you’re rich, replace them all at once. Either way, that’s where the problem is.

Also, make sure you have 1/32 to 1/16” tow-in at all times. Good luck!
Sponsored

Last edited: