Not open for further replies.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
@word302
@Malik

Well, I can see a valid reason why someone would go with a Tazer JL versus a Tazer JL Mini.

If a guy/gal is concerned with the 12v power draw of a Tazer JL, he can easily unplug the Tazer JL from the OBDll port and then no power draw.

He/she could leave the Tazer JL married, the gateway module in place and just benefit from the non live features.

NOW, if he/she wants live features if say he/she is going off road, he/she can quickly just plug the Tazer JL back into the OBDll port and have live features..

On the other hand with the Tazer JL Mini.... you have the headache of getting up under the dash and fooling with the gateway connectors every time you want to do similar as to what I mention above.

Anyone that has fooled with the two connectors will tell you it ain't pretty, disconnecting and disconnecting .... and for sure, not as easy as unplugging the Tazer JL from the OBDll port.

If it is pulling power, it has nothing to do with the live features. With either model the gateway will still be plugged in to vehicle. OBD ports have a funny way of drawing power from connected items.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
If it is pulling power, it has nothing to do with the live features. With either model the gateway will still be plugged in to vehicle. OBD ports have a funny way of drawing power from connected items.
@word302

Many, not all, of the long time user's of the Tazer JL undoubtedly understand the "valid reason" I gave. Yes, that reason is very valid.

By the way, pretty well known to most, that "OBD ports have a funny way of drawing power from connected items" as you mentioned. Indeed, a consideration here in regard to the Tazer JL, but there is much more to it then that, unfortunately..

-

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I can tell you first had that by just having the gateway bypass plugged in there is no risk of a power draw period ...

The SGW module on the two part tazer is nothing more than a bypass connector and it’s only function is to bypass the SGW which allows the Tazer to then get thru to the brain of the JL to change your desired setting

I have had my Tazer Jl married for months but don’t use any live features so I make my changes and pull the Tazer and I have done daily voltage checks and parasitic draw tests and there are zero so I can assure you in my case with the Tazer married but not connected and the SGW bypass in place there is zero power draw

Last edited:

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
@word302
@Malik

Well, I can see a valid reason why someone would go with a Tazer JL versus a Tazer JL Mini.

If a guy/gal is concerned with the 12v power draw of a Tazer JL, he can easily unplug the Tazer JL from the OBDll port and then no power draw.

He/she could leave the Tazer JL married, the gateway module in place and just benefit from the non live features.

NOW, if he/she wants live features if say he/she is going off road, he/she can quickly just plug the Tazer JL back into the OBDll port and have live features..

On the other hand with the Tazer JL Mini.... you have the headache of getting up under the dash and fooling with the gateway connectors every time you want to do similar as to what I mention above.

Anyone that has fooled with the two connectors will tell you it ain't pretty, disconnecting and disconnecting .... and for sure, not as easy as unplugging the Tazer JL from the OBDll port.

Making my head hurt again. Was about to order the mini. I rarely use the OBDII port, so the 2-piece unit wouldn’t be a problem. But how often would I want to pull the unit out?

zoepup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
@Rhinebeck01 Thank you for your detailed explanations. I wasn't sure which way to go either. I just added 35" tires and I am deciding on getting a Tazer to program the Jeep to know that.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Making my head hurt again. Was about to order the mini. I rarely use the OBDII port, so the 2-piece unit wouldn’t be a problem. But how often would I want to pull the unit out?
@Jondrew

I only mentioned the "valid reason" because the question which to buy was asked, and a forum member implied there was no reason to go with a Tazer JL verus a Tazer Mini. Well, like my posts said, there is a valid reason. This reason or not, I still would tell guys/gals to buy the Tazer JL Mini.

Ok, you ask ----> "But how often would I want to pull the unit out"

A few times that I can think of but there may be a few I'm forgetting:

Well, you must unmarry and remove the Tazer JL and it's companion gateway module when you go to a Service Department visit.

If you have a Tazer JL Mini, you must unmarry and remove it, when you go to a Service Department visit.

If you have a Tazer JL and go to a State DMV Inspection Center that requires their plugging into the vehicle's OBDl port, you will have to have the OBDll port empty / removal of Tazer JL and very possibly the companion gateway module removed also. You can leave the Tazer JL married.

If you have a Tazer JL Mini and go to a State DMV Inspection Center, that requires their plugging into the vehicle's OBDl port, you will have to remove the Tazer Mini. You can leave the Tazer JL Mini married.

If with a Tazer JL Mini, you are concerned about 12v draw, you leave it married and disconnect the Tazer JL Mini itself. Your regular features are still a go, lets say, but you lose Live Features with this way.

If with a Tazer JL, you are concerned about 12v draw, you leave it married and disconnect the Tazer JL itself. You can leave the companion gateway module connected. Your regular features are still a go, lets say, but you lose Live Features with this way.

If/when you update the firmware. You would unmarry first and then remove the Tazer JL or Tazer JL Mini and take inside to your computer, to update. Of course, if you have a laptop, you can do the update right in the JL.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Hi @Rhinebeck01

I assume you have a two part JL, right? Is your OBD II port loose? I put my Tazer on for a couple of weeks, today when I unplug the Tazer, I found my OBD II port can wiggle quite a bit on that metal tab.

I couldn't remember if it was like this, or the weight of Tazer causing OBD II port loose...

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
@word302

Many, not all, of the long time user's of the Tazer JL undoubtedly understand the "valid reason" I gave. Yes, that reason is very valid.

By the way, pretty well known to most, that "OBD ports have a funny way of drawing power from connected items" as you mentioned. Indeed, a consideration here in regard to the Tazer JL, but there is much more to it then that, unfortunately..

-
My point was I don't think it's possible for the mini to draw power since it is not connected to the OBD port, thus negating any reason to buy the 2-piece unit.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
My point was I don't think it's possible for the mini to draw power since it is not connected to the OBD port, thus negating any reason to buy the 2-piece unit.
Does not matter if it’s plugged into the OBDII port or not.

From the connected device to the OBDII port it goes from there thru the SGW if allowed then to the brain of the JL so I does not matter if the Tazer is connected directly to the OBDII port or if it’s jumpered between the SGW module it’s doing the same thing, my two piece unit does the exact same thing as the mini, the mini just has the gateway bypass built into it so if a Tazer were to be doing a parasitic draw there would be no difference on where it connects

Anything you plug into that OBDII cable gets its power from the cable

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@word302

You have it wrong...

Actually, all 3, the Tazer JL, the Tazer JL Mini and the Tazer JL Lite, running, final version firmware 11.0.6 all draw a sleep current of 38mA .

With beta firmware 11.0.7, Joe has been able to lower the sleep current from that 38mA to 7mA.

Joe is working hard at getting the sleep current under 2mA, which is completely negligible when it comes to parasitic drain.

Hopefully, the sub, 2mA sleep current will be a reality, with firmware release 11.0.8. Time will tell....

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
@word302

You have it wrong...

Actually, all 3, the Tazer JL, the Tazer JL Mini and the Tazer JL Lite, running, final version firmware 11.0.6 all draw a sleep current of 38mA .

With beta firmware 11.0.7, Joe has been able to lower the sleep current from that 38mA to 7mA.

Joe is working hard at getting the sleep current under 2mA, which is completely negligible when it comes to parasitic drain.

Hopefully, the sub, 2mA sleep current will be a reality, with firmware release 11.0.8. Time will tell....

Good to know. So is the parasitic draw 0 on the Tazer JL with the OBD unit unplugged?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi @Rhinebeck01

I assume you have a two part JL, right? Is your OBD II port loose? I put my Tazer on for a couple of weeks, today when I unplug the Tazer, I found my OBD II port can wiggle quite a bit on that metal tab.

I couldn't remember if it was like this, or the weight of Tazer causing OBD II port loose...
@plex

Right now I have a Tazer JL Mini. I had a Tazer JL for a about 6 months and for about the last 4 months, I have had a Tazer JL Mini.

IF the Tazer JL is not pushed up firmly, it may wiggle a bit. I know mine did.
IF it is still wiggly and you are concerned about it you could buy a OBDII extension cable which plugs into the OBDll port. The extension will fit the OBDll tightly and then you can plug the Tazer JL into that.

With the 30cm/12", extender cable you can easily hide the Tazer JL up out of site.

Here is a $6.99, 30cm/12. cable that works well (I had one) with the Tazer JL:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KYH9COE/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good to know. So is the parasitic draw 0 on the Tazer JL with the OBD unit unplugged?
@word302

If you unplug the Tazer JL Mini, there obviously is no parasitic draw from it.... it is disconnected.

If you unplug the Tazer JL from the OBDll port and leave the companion, gateway module plugged in, there is no parasitic drainage from what I have been told.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
@word302

If you unplug the Tazer JL Mini, there obviously is no parasitic draw from it.... it is disconnected.

If you unplug the Tazer JL from the OBDll port and leave the companion, gateway module plugged in, there is no parasitic drainage from what I have been told.
Thanks for the clarification.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@word302

You sir are correct, with the Tazer unplugged there is no power draw and the SGW Bypass module is just a connector and draws no power at all
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.