Tazer (Programmer) for the JL

Rhinebeck01

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What dis/advantage is there to removing after making the settings and do you replace the wires backing the SGW at that time as well?
@kobejo34

Well, there really is no advantage to removing the Tazer JL hardware after you marry and do your settings.

Some guys do remove the hardware though, as then there is no parasitic 12v draw by the Tazer JL.

IF you are running firmware 11.0.8, 11.0.9 you really need not worry about 12v parasitic draw by the Tazer JL. There is draw but so minimal that it is a non-issue.

With that said, with firmware 11.0.8 and 11.0.9, the ESS feature will hiccup on occasion (not that often) so, I do not use that feature. Instead, I have SmartStopStart unit that I use for ESS. It never hiccups.

---For me to use the SSS, I cannot have the Tazer JL concurrently installed with the SSS. With older Tazer JL firmware, I could actually chain the SSS with the Tazer JL but not with the current Tazer JL firmware version.

IF you leave the Tazer JL married, but the hardware not attached to the JL, you cannot benefit/use Tazer JL live features.. i.e. ESS, Traction, Hood Alarm, etc.

IF, you want to marry, set features.....make sure all is working well .... and then remove all Tazer JL hardware and YES, do reconnect the 2 cables at the gateway.

In closing.... IF the Tazer JL ESS feature, was working without hiccups, I would be running 11.0.8 and I would leave the programmer hardware installed. Only reason I'm not doing that now is because I'm also using a SmartStopStart unit.

Advertisement

Rhinebeck01

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys! The ESS hiccup doesn't bug me so I'll probably go with 11.09. What's the customer hook?
@DanW

I just heard about the "customer hook" thing. I am not sure ....

You would do aok running 11.0.8 (it is 11.0.9) without the "customer hook".

I know I will stick with 11.0.8 until I know what the hook thing is, and that it has not introduced any bugs into the firmware.

As for the ESS hiccup .... happens occasionally but not a deal breaker..

kobejo34

First Name
Stephen
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Well now that you mention this my battery did die today and my check engine light is on (hoping it goes out after I drive it). I'll update to 11.0.8 and or simply remove it as I only adjust the tire size and set TPMS lower.

**** Tighten the gas cap and third restart today the check engine light went out. So far I just took the Tazer out, drove 20 miles, and tighten the gas cap.

Now that I know I don't need it all the time I'll let it ride like this until I take it to dealer for whatever

Last edited:

Hibypass

First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara(wifes), 2018 GMC Sierra 3500duallie
Vehicle Showcase
Help guys. I had my head up my @$$ and didn’t unmarry my tazer first. What do I do now?

Hibypass

First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Joe got back to me quick via text. Guess I didn’t screw up badly like I thought. He set me straight.

Hibypass

First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It isn’t a big deal. New firmware is on the tazer. Just plug it back in and all is good.

tr0gd0r

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Anyone notice with the Tazer that the menu text is fighting with the audio text? It makes it difficult to read. Sometimes the menus will disappear and the song title will appear. It will also sometimes mix the Tazer menu text with the song name and it becomes impossible to read.

PaPasJP

First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone notice with the Tazer that the menu text is fighting with the audio text? It makes it difficult to read. Sometimes the menus will disappear and the song title will appear. It will also sometimes mix the Tazer menu text with the song name and it becomes impossible to read.
Not here.

Hibypass

First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It happened on a couple pages with mine.

tr0gd0r

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
You can see it at 7:45 in this video
It switches from "LightShow?" to "LightSOFF?" to "MUShtShow?" to "LightShow?" to "LigiC how?"

It appears the Jeep is fighting between showing "MUSIC OFF" and "LightShow?" on the EVIC. Wondering if there are any updates to correct this. Its very annoying to use.

Tjbrlecic1

First Name
Terry
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
I cannot day enough nice things about the folks from Z Automotive Technologies. I installed my Tazer today and ran into a problem getting the AUX switches working. After looking at some post I decided to check all the connections I made. When making the checks I discounted the passenger side door. When I went to start the Jeep it went into a complete system meltdown. Every error code known to man made its presence known. I sent a message to Z Automotive. The response was very quick and I was given many possible remedies to get past the issue. We decided to call it a night around 9:45 pm. As I started putting the Jeep back together I saw what the door disconnected. I plugged it in and the Jeep became happy.
The problem with the AUX switches was a missing fuse. The KISS principle should have applied tonight. I would have been done by 6pm Eastern Time rather than 10pm. Live and learn.

Last edited:

swozey

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Just got my Tazer JL the other day (I didn't realize the "Mini" was the more recent version, I guess Mini to me = maybe it's missing something I might eventually need). It was kind of a rush buy because I bought a front camera and then realized I needed a programmer for it to work.

First thing I did was push the 1.11.0 firmware to it via the app, I was hesitant because that version was out but he sent me 11.9.0 so I wasn't sure how production ready the new one was but figured I'd give it a whirl. Everything looked to install fine, I did manually install it (through the app, just don't have internet right now) so I installed it to the Jeep and followed the marrying process, but I realized in the middle of it it was saying the firmware was 11.9.0 the entire time. I haven't had any issues so far albeit I'm not doing much with it.

Is there an issue with the firmware version showing wrong at all, or should I unmarry it and go through the process again?

Turn cam is f'ing awesome. I've had a couple glitches with AA but nothing that would make me stop using it like I've read in here for older versions.

I'll be straight up and say that I really don't like programmers like this where you use OEM buttons to control things, I had a lot of programmers like this when I used to build BMWs (Berger Juiceboxes). It still bugs me a bit but it's nowhere near as scary as the stuff in my Berger was. The tuners I've used in the past usually didn't echo anything out to you other than affirmation that you did something. I always had to dig out my manual from the glovebox and see what the settings I wanted were. I was scared of hitting the magic code on my steering wheel and accidentally putting the car in some limp mode or something. I remember my Berger didn't tell me what the CURRENT setting was so if I modified something I'd have to write down what I was changing. I hated it. I was always afraid I'd accidentally max my boost out and blow my engine or something. This is way better so far. I really don't think I'd be willing to pay another $100+ for a controller w/an LCD. So if you're nervous about that this systems way easier to work with than I was expecting.

Last edited:

MyJlU

First Name
TJ
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU Sport
Occupation
Sr Product Line Researcher
Vehicle Showcase
Morning all, I'm picking up my new JLU tomorrow and I already have so many things to install and I was Looking to grab a Tazer Mini for help with tire size & TPMS adjustments. I also like some of the other things you can do but after reading this Thread I'm now on the fence and I am thinking I may just have the dealer make those adjustments for me. The biggest thing to me is the Jeep is a second toy for the wife and I and I don't want to have any issues especially when she may be driving it. Thanks in advance for your input - TJ

Advertisement

Mac Haik CDJR Georgetown

Advertisement